Raspberry Pi

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
Anyone buy a RPi for a gift? What do you intend for it to be used as? Why did you give it to them? What did you include (besides the obvious OS, power cord), ie: model (why?), wifi?, software?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I have a couple, haven't given them as gifts - uses:
1. asterisk server
2. XBMC client
3. web server (also check if my internet connection is down or my IP address has changed, and if so, to e-mail me the new address for VPN)
4. power management (used to reset my modem/router weekly, and send WOL magic packets if/when needed)
5. cheap signal generator/oscilloscope
6. vpn server

I would includ a 8+gb sd card and a SD card reader/writer, as for power adapters, I tried a couple cheapo ones and gave up - I made my own power adapters (based on the TI lm2596 5v), my asterisk one lives inside of a file server and just leeches off the +5v molex line - (I was getting ~4.6/.7v from various cell phone adapters that I tried to use.. I had success with a 5.2v 800ma adapter, and also a 2.5 amp USB hub) - if you want to buy an adapter, I would suggest getting a 2+ amp tablet charger from a reputable brand (Amazon, Apple, Samsung, etc.)

no wifi/software is really needed (as those depend on its intended use more than anything)

TFlan

Reaction score
have you had reliable success with those uses? any tinkering at the thought of your own dns server?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, It Just doesn't look very appealing. lol
Anyway, I'm still not quite sure, what's so great about it?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
have you had reliable success with those uses? any tinkering at the thought of your own dns server?

they are quite reliable (I haven't had any crashes on mine yet.. the longest-running one I have is my asterisk server, which has run for 2+ months so far) as long as they have a good power supply

XBMC client also works well for most movies, but it can't play 1080p .mkv's that well (I haven't bought the codecs for it though.. perhaps that is the issue)

I already have a DNS server via my file server - I am sure a pi could do it just as well, but I already had that one configured

@ FC - there have been almost a million sold, for all sorts of various purposes - that's pretty much the great thing about it, it's very versatile - not many computers are this reliable, nor have GPIO ports, and none really come close in terms of price/power usage

P.S. - extra IDE cables are good accessories if the receiver is into electronics, as they fit into the GPIO ports.. broken Christmas lights are also good (for the wall-plug part + wire)

TFlan

Reaction score
And it's the size of your wallet! :eek:

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
TFlan Please...........
troll.jpg

worldslargestwallet.jpg

All Kidding aside. Its pretty small, has ports if you want plug things directly into like simple motors, lights or devices with IO.
7513051848_9a6ef2feb8_o.jpeg

TFlan

Reaction score
I just ordered one with the goal of making my own personal drone.

Unfortunately the board that I want to buffer between the motors and RPi isn't in stock anymore, but I can wait.

I ordered an Alpha wifi adapter, a couple of brushless motors, a pair of ESC's, some sensors for flight diagnostics, and im also waiting on 'camera board' (a 5 megapixel 1080p 30fps camera attachment for RPi) to come out in the next month or so

Plan on installing aircrack-ng, SSH, and setting up a C&C server for some downtime fun ;)

TFlan

Reaction score
It'll take a bit coding (love python for being able to handle this), and a decent HDD I'm expecting a shit load of data per flight - will need a real-time patch for linux tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.