Real-like projectile?

The Undaddy

Creating with the power of rage
Reaction score
Is it possible to create an attack that fires a projectile which hits the first unit it encounters and then disappears using only the data editor?

Also if not what kind of unit would be best for a dummy missile?

Severon

Reaction score
Ummm. I think we need more information cause what you make it sound like is:
Is it possible to make a maruader shoot a missile and hit an object using the data editor.(maruader,stalker, any single target attack disapperas after it hits the first target)

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Ummm. I think we need more information cause what you make it sound like is:
Is it possible to make a maruader shoot a missile and hit an object using the data editor.(maruader,stalker, any single target attack disapperas after it hits the first target)

I think he means something along the line of an unguided projectile (AFAIK, the Marauder Missile is guided) like Shockwave from Warcraft3 so that when the unit fires, the missile travels in the direction of firing until it collides with something (whatever that something may be)

As regards doing that, I don't have a clue... I suppose you'd have to try out various standard units and see if any of those have that sort of functionality (I get the feeling the Air-To-Surface batteries on the Battlecruiser may be capable of this, I played a map a few days ago which had very little unit modification, and the Battlecruiser projectiles seemed to miss regularly against moving targets, so they could be unguided)

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
The closest ability I've seen that might work like the shockwave is the Penetrator that Raynor uses in the campaign mission Belly of the beast.

I dont know if this helps but it might be a good dummy let me know if it is.

The Undaddy

Reaction score
Well it shouldn't exactly work like a shockwave, more like just a single bullet that travels and hits only one target, but that target isn't necessarily the one the unit was shooting at.Just the first one it collides with.You know, real life? :p

>the Penetrator that Raynor
Well, I can't find any penetrator (I am using the campaign dependencies) but I found "Railgun Snipe" which is linked to some penetrator stuff, but its not exactly what I need.

I guess I will have to trigger it (finally, I was getting annoyed with the data editor doing everything).

I'm just not sure if I should use a locust-type unit-type unit or a missile-type unit, guess I'll find out which works better.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Hmm, would you look at that... I was just playing a map (before my internet crapped out...) called Heroes of the Ancient Temple. One of the heroes, the Infestor, had an ability which seemed to be just what you're looking for - the Hero launches a rolling Baneling (I think) which slowly travelled across the map until it collides with an enemy unit. Upon collision, it would blow up and damage stuff nearby - is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

If so, I'll try and dig up the map in the editor and see how it works.

Well it shouldn't exactly work like a shockwave
It was the first unguided 'projectile' that sprung to mind :p

EDIT: /victorydance - found the correct map! OK, from my very brief investigation, it appears that the ability does the following
  • Launch Missile behaviour to propel the projectile (it's using the InfestedTerranLayEggWeapon mover, I'm not sure of the importance of this particular bit though) towards an Impact Location - Target Point offset by (0, -44), I think negative values are required to offset in the direction the caster faces
  • From there, it's using a Search Area effect to determine when the projectile impacts a unit
  • Upon detecting an elligible target in that Search Area, it applies a Set effect to Search Area (i.e. the AoE damage component), force the projectile to kill itself (with a Damage effect) and apply some behaviour (which I can't figure out the use of).
  • If the the first Search Area doesn't grab a unit before the (0, -44) offset is reached, the projectile will execute a series of Effects in the same way as #3 of this list (this is only a guess)

I'm not sure if I can upload the map for you to see for yourself (given that there are no protective features surrounding it and I don't want to put the map at risk of being 'stolen' or having people mess with it for their own gain), but I'll see what I can do.

The Undaddy

Reaction score
No need to upload the map but where exactly do I need to put the search area effect?

EDIT: On a side note wtf is wrong with the timers, 15 executions with a 0.0125 period

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
No need to upload the map but where exactly do I need to put the search area effect?
I have no idea - one way is to give your projectile unit a Buff Behaviour which periodically executes the Search Area (which in turn links to everything else, as described previously) but that's not the way it's being done in this map.

It's an extremely confusing setup - there's a whole bunch of Effects here, just for this spell
  • Expire Set - same Effect set as the Set below, but this one occurs when projectile expires
  • Apply Behaviour - applies some behaviour to create a Baneling death sound, I think
  • Damage - this one is obvious :p
  • Launch Missile - launches the projectile, and is linked back to the Baneling Egg ability
  • Search - periodically searches for elligible targets and executes the Set effect
  • Search when Expire - executed when Search has ended, executes the Set effect
  • Set - links to Damage/Suicide/Apply Behaviour
  • SnS Persistent - a Create Persistent wrapper for the Search effect
  • Suicide - does damage to kill the projectile

I can't really figure out how in the hell this guy managed to link up this stuff - SnS Persistent links to Search, and Search links to Damage/Apply Behaviour/Suicide which makes sense... but I don't see where anything is linking up SnS Persistent or Search, which is making this whole thing very very confusing...

Not the way I would have thought about doing it (which probably makes it even more confusing), but I'm going to try and investigate it further. Perhaps I can lay my hands on the author sometime

EDIT: OK, I got a response from the author - apparently, the SnS Persistent effect is done via triggers, but the map file I opened doesn't seem to have any triggers... I'm guessing that's some sort of map protection functionality :X

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.