redirecting attacking unit

scubazoo

Reaction score
hey i wanted to make a trigger where a unit finishes killing a unit, and then is ordered to attack a new unit within range of 5000. however, i want this to work for a bunch of units, like twenty units attack one unit, and when they kill it, each of them is given a new order to attack a new unit. help please

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Something like
Code:
Events:
A unit dies
Actions:
Pick every units within 5000.00 range of (position of (killing unit)) and do Order (Killing Unit) to attack (Picked Unit)

scubazoo

Reaction score
no, because this only works for the killing unit. suppose there are twenty zombies in an area. the unit they attack dies, then i want all of them to go find a new unit to attack

i have tried this:
unit dies
pick every unit in 2000 of dying unit and do action
if unit is zombie equal to true then do order unit to attack random unit from units withing 5000 of dying unit if matching unit belongs to enemy of owner of zombie

this works, although, because the zombies are picking a random unit, they could end upo picking another zombie, in which case they would not have a target and they would do nothing

how do i fix this, so the zombie will only pick an enemy unit
ty

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
How about first locating a target withing 5000 radius, set it as a variable, then order all the zombies to attack that target.

You would need an "Else" condition where no target is available for the zombies. A boolean variable stores if a target is found or not.

scubazoo

Reaction score
hmm, could you explain that better, and would that work for all units around the zombies. i need them to be able to attack all enemy units within that radius randomly.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Try this:

Code:
Next Kill
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set TempPoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Set TempGroup = (Units within 2000.00 of TempPoint matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Not equal to Zombie))
        Set UnitVariable = (Random unit from TempGroup)
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup)
        Set TempGroup = (Units within 2000.00 of TempPoint matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Zombie))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack UnitVariable
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

scubazoo

Reaction score
ok it looks pretty good, although, there are two tempgroups, then wouldnt the units equal to zombies and not equal to zombies be in the same group? and i dont understnad the custom script either.

as long as when a unit dies, the zombies within 2000 of the dying unit go and attack all enemy units within a radius of 5000. so i cant tell if your trigger does this ghan.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an explanation of what it does:

1. When a unit dies, a point is defined.
2. A range of 2000 is used.
3. It puts all units that are not zombies into a group.
4. It sets a unit variable to a random unit from that group.
5. The first Custom Script destroys the group, basically clearing it.
6. The group is reset, but this time it only includes zombies.
7. It orders all the units in the new unit group to attack the unit variable, which is the random unit.
8. It clears the group again with custom script. This eliminates leaks.

scubazoo

Reaction score
thats pretty good. although can you make it so that instead of making the all the zombies attack the same unit, have them each attack a random unit from the tem group?

could i just have pick every unit in tempgroup of zombies and have it attack random unit from tempgroup of nonzombies?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> could i just have pick every unit in tempgroup of zombies and have it attack random unit from tempgroup of nonzombies?

To do that, you would need two unit group variables.

scubazoo

Reaction score
hmm i thought there wer two unit group variables.
would this work

unit dies

pick every unit within 2000 of dying unit not owned by zombie player, and add to group

pick every unit within 2000 of dying unit owned by zombie player and add to another group

then do pick every unit in zombie group and do order picked unit to attack random unit from other group

and then would i need the destroy the groups? or would the groups automatically reset every time a unit died?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Try this:

Code:
Redirect
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set TempPoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Set TempGroup1 = (Units within 2000.00 of TempPoint matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Not equal to Footman))
        Set TempGroup2 = (Units within 2000.00 of TempPoint matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Footman))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup2 and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack (Random unit from TempGroup1)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup1)
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup2)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.