Riddle Request

johnnymra

Reaction score
To be more specific... i need ideas for my map to make certain riddles...
My map is a RPG combined with Tag-like style and the survival-crafting type maps...
The players in one team have to find materials all over the map to make different items, from weapons/armors and such to amazing magical items or potions... anything you can imagine.
Now the thing is that to find out the most special combinations of items to make the most powerful weapons they have to find some books scattered over the map. In these books (which are items) there is a text mostly like a riddle and if they understand it they find out how to make the item described in that book.
For instance: one book called "The alchemist's diary [page 3]" says: [the page seems a bit cut and you can't make out the first words]
...some amazing magical rocks and one day i put six of them together. They formed an bigger one. Trough my research in plants i saw that combining three plants of a kind with one such stone it makes an amazing crystal. Even now i can't stop to be amazed by what they did to our weap... [the page here seems cut by a claw or something]
>this book described how to make certain magical crystals that imbue weapons with magic.

That was an example of an existing riddle but i want to ask for ideas from those of you who are more imaginative. Just think of some talisman or weapon (like an sword with the powers of *any element or something*) or an armor, shield, potion, just anything your mind can make up... and after thinking of the item think of what could be the ingredients needed and make a riddle to describe those ingredients...

Thanks in advance :) and let the brainstorm begin!

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
A stone, charged with sparks;
A stone, seared with flame;
A stone, chilled with cold;
A stone, empowering one.
-Empowering Talisman
Requires: Charged Rock, Scorched Rock and Frozen Rock
Gives: +15 damage, 30% chance to burn, freeze or electrify the target of an attack, causing damage over time, freezing or splash damage.

Charged by continued exposure to electrical currents, this stone electrifies anyone foolish enough to be struck by it.
-Charged Rock
Requires: Pebble and Orb of Lightning
Gives: +5 damage and a 10% chance to deal extra splash damage on attack.

Scorched by powerful flames, this stone occasionally flares up, causing powerful burns.
-Scorched Rock
Requires: Pebble and Orb of Fire
Gives: +5 damage and a 10% chance to cause damage over time on attack.

A thick layer of ice formed on the surface of this rock in frigid air. It occasionally grows so cold to the touch that it freezes anything it comes into contact with.
-Frozen Rock
Requires: Pebble and Orb of Frost
Gives: +5 damage and 10% chance to freeze an attacked unit.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Very interesting suggestions, especially the empowering talisman. Yet those are a bit simple... i mean first of all the riddle you made is too similar to my example... in my example actually it makes the same items with different names. Your charged rock is my Lightning Crystal (made from Stone and some electrical plants).
Thanks anyway... you gave me a great idea for combining all of the stones in my map :)

Hopefully others will help me too...

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Apart from journal type texts like your own and KaerNomekops "riddle" riddle I am thinking of some kind of prophecy/divine myth text.. like

"...and the angel, bound to obey his godess, laid the most golden of all golden keys among the bony remains of Lych, the wolf, Lea, the lioness and Bob, the man. As had been forethold, the key did bring life back to these powerful creatures, slayed only to be brought back in obedience to this golden key! Together they shaped the ultimate weapon of destruction, a creation of bone and slaughter whose name cannot be written in text. When the angel saw how hideous this monster was, he could not bear to hand the key over to Her. Fortunate for her enemies, the angel sacrificed his life to shatter the abomination and spread the remains of Lych, Lea and Bob apart from eachother..."

The idea of this text was to like, you can find a Wolf Skull that grants Agility, a Lion Skull that grants Strength, and a Man Skull that grants Intelligence. All quite weak items. And then there should be a golden key, name the item yourself, with some kind of random summoning spell (eg. unit type summoned is different from time to time). Mixed together, these four items creates a new key which summons some HUGE skeletal unit (quite long cooldown)

:D

EDIT: Maybe the text was too long to read ingame, but if you are kind you can highlight the important words with different colours, hinting even clearer to the player what to look for :p

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Lych, Lea and .... Bob? ROFLMAO. But the idea is nice - I can already think of a full story for it :D.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Totally interesting necrach. Thanks very much, i will adapt it so that it would be more fit in my map... but anyway GREAT IDEA! :)

Edit: i think i'll use my statue in the map (a statue of azshara) and maybe let's say if you find some items similar to yours, binding them to another magical item will create a special key or something and taken to that statue will make a powerful summon weapon, you're riddle is very good so only the names will be modified i think.

TheLegend

Reaction score
here is a good riddle
"Book of the Damned (page 1)"
"This rock is a part of the legendary white knight. It is as it is that the knight himself travels across the world at night, over seas and oceans without ever getting wet. - (Solution - Moon Stone )"
Once you find the needed item you can make the player forge it into a sword or shield giving him the "metamorphosis" ability - into a warewolf :D

johnnymra

Reaction score
Well, i wanted a riddle that refers to items in combinations... not just about a certain item... i mean with your riddle i can't do anything... maybe just put a moon stone somewhere... but your riddle isn't about even where the item itself would be found so that i would have putted it somewhere on the map... Sorry TheLegend but you have to be more specific, either just make another riddle. Thanks for trying anyway.

EDIT:And by the way... what conection is there between a moon stone, "part of a white knight", and the metamorphosis into a werewolf? At least make a logic ability for the item that is created...

TheLegend

Reaction score
well warewolfs transform into what they are only on full moon... So its like when you get the Moon Stone and smith it you become a warewolf (more dmg, speed...) The only way to get back to "normal" is to get rid of the item

johnnymra

Reaction score
Yes, the idea would have worked... yet the problem is that basically i have to trigger a hero replacing... which must store experience, damage.. items.. other info.. and it won't fit in my map. Also it is harder because in my map there are 5 classes for the team who can use these riddles.

TheLegend

Reaction score
no need to replace the hero... make a crow form like ability (I tested a lot morphing abilities but this is the best) normal form would be your hero and alternate the wolf. Just cast it and remove it

johnnymra

Reaction score
The item that makes you a werewolf can be picked up by different classes... i have to trigger the hero's class and make an ability for each of them, then the trigger would add the correct one and so on...
I don't say i don't think it can be done, but i don't really want to make it so complex from the start. It's a beta version. Thanks for the advice, it could be useful in further versions.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
You can use a Chaos ability to change the unit type. I don't think that would affect most other important factors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.