Sci/Tech Scientists Make Blackest Material Ever

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists have fashioned what may be the blackest material in the universe: a sheet of carbon nanotubes that captures nearly every last photon of every wavelength of light.

The substance absorbs between 97 percent and 99 percent of wavelengths that can be directly measured or extrapolated. It's the closest that scientists have yet come to a black body, a theorized state of perfect absorption whose closest analogue is believed to be the opening of a deep hole.

The material, described Monday by Japanese nanotechnologists in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, is made from a flat array of vertically-aligned, single-walled carbon nanotubes. Photons that aren't immediately absorbed by a single nanotube deflect off and are absorbed by its neighbors.

Last edited:

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
And it only cost 750,000$ per square cenimeter, and won't be capable of being manufactored out of a labratory for another 35 years.

Im tired of the worthless plethera of scientific advances unless they will have some impact on society in the next 3 years.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Im tired of the worthless plethera of scientific advances unless they will have some impact on society in the next 3 years.

I'm sure they said that about the computer too.

Onto the actual thing, the photo of it looks like someone used the black circle tool in MS Paint. And that means that it must be pretty freakin dark in person. That must be one cool thing to see in real life.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score

Yeah... when you rush stuff like that, it generally sucks. Which is why we're stuck with Al Gore.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Nigga plz!

334943684_aa639e3a63.jpg

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
:( Its not Coolaid tasting chicken. Disappointment.

It seems to be incredibly expensive compared to the technology we have already for absorbing light for only a 2-5% increased absorption rate. I guess the plan is they want to make one that has a 100% rate of absorption and make it do weird wackey stuff.

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
I'm not sure why many are ignoring the fact that this is just the beginning of a discovery. Of course it's going to be expensive at first, but if you look down the road, eventually it will make a significant impact on our energy in the future.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The more light that is absorbed = more energy made = more money because states have to buy excess energy.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
:( Its not Coolaid tasting chicken. Disappointment.

It seems to be incredibly expensive compared to the technology we have already for absorbing light for only a 2-5% increased absorption rate. I guess the plan is they want to make one that has a 100% rate of absorption and make it do weird wackey stuff.

Didn't they claim a 100% absorbtion rate would open a black hole? :eek:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Didn't they claim a 100% absorbtion rate would open a black hole? :eek:

I believe you have it the other way around. A black hole absorbs 100% of all light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.