Setting for my novel

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
This is the prologue to my novel, entirely devoted to the setting. Yes, I made up many many things in it, including my own science. Neutronium is a real thing, it is the material from which Neutron stars are made. However, there is much debate over what exactly it is made from, so by all means I am allowed to pretend it is an awesome source of energy. Alright?

If you find any errors or have any suggestions, feel free to tell me.

The year is 2310. Mankind has slowly, but surely, been leaving the surface of the planet to live elsewhere. As weapons became more and more powerful over the years, the Earth has become more polluted and damaged. Wars erupted as they always have every decade, turning the world slowly into wasteland. The survival of the human race has been attributed to synthesizing food from other elements as the entire ecosystem has been effectively destroyed. Called by the masses, “meat tanks,” (for the synthesis of meat) food is put together molecule by molecule from other atoms stripped of whatever protons needed to create the correct atoms; the food is developed in large tanks.

Because of the sudden surplus in food, the population sky rocketed from 20 billion to 50 billion in only a century. While food was not a problem regardless of population, disease and pollution were. To accommodate the massive population, cities were stretched out farther and farther, eventually covering 25% of the face of Earth. Because of a lack of land, and of the expense and cons of dredging, cities were eventually constructed on the ocean itself. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem, it led to more and more pollution. There were colonies on Mars, but the cost of getting there was much too large to do a wide scale migration. It was impossible with current technology and resources.

A group of corporations, called the Daedalus Combine, launched a project to find an alternate source of energy with which they could use to move humans to other places to live. The project launched by the combine consisted of mass mining of Mars and the asteroid belt. Many new materials were discovered, but nothing of much interest had been found. The combine had almost gone broke on a useless venture, which is when a super dense material was discovered on Phobos, a moon of Mars. It was dubbed as Neutronium, and was hypothesized that it may have been flung off by a neutron star, as it weighed trillions of tons. It could go through nuclear reactions and generate millions of times more energy than plutonium could. New methods were secretly developed to locate more Neutronium, which generally was not found in amounts more than mere grains. Delicate instruments were crafted which detected tiny fluctuations in gravity caused by the pure massiveness of Neutronium. It was a method which would not have worked for any other material.

Because the Daedalus Combine had a monopoly on Neutronium, the governments of Earth demanded a lower price on it. In a money to energy ratio, the price payed was hardly better than the fossil fuels of the past. Because Neutronium generated so much energy, only the wealthiest nations in the world could afford it, which created an even greater gap between wealthy nations and poor ones. The poorest nations waged guerrilla warfare on the wealthy ones, and were in turn secretly provided with Neutronium by the Daedalus Combine; these conflicts escalated into World War III. This balance of power required wealthy nations to buy more and more Neutronium, allowing the Combine to profit substantially. The problem of over population had been almost completely forgotten.

This massive profit allowed for the Combine to move its headquarters to the safety of Mars, where they bought out all the land owned by other countries. The Combine increased the terraforming by 100 times the current rate and allowed any employees to live there on Mars. It was not long before Mars was its own nation with the Combine at its head.

After decades of nuclear war, the Earth had been leveled almost to worldwide desert. The population had sunk by nearly 80% due mostly to respiratory disease, caused by the mass extinction of many types of oxygen producing plants; and cancer brought on by radiation. The cost of moving to Mars, the headquarters of the Combine, had gone higher than any Earthling could pay, considering it had been terraformed into a paradise. On Earth, there were no wealthy or poor anymore, the tole of destruction had made everyone equal. It was clear to the governments of Earth that something had to be done. A treaty, much to the dismay of the Combine, was signed unanimously by every country on the planet. The treaty formed a new unified group of states, called the UEC (United Earth Confederation); a new age had begun. Normally a unification like this would have been impossible, but the people were united by a common enemy, the Daedalus Combine. The UEC was at least a century behind the Combine in technology due to the war, and was unable to find a way of finding their own Neutronium; even with blue prints of Combine technology, the ability to reproduce such was far beyond what the UEC could accomplish. The UEC continued to buy Neutronium from the Combine, but hired a few intellectuals loyal to the UEC to infiltrate the Combine and try to break things up; this operation was dubbed the Roman Project.

The Roman Project was planned to span at least 20 years to allow the UEC loyalist spies to efficiently spread rumors and plant false data to set the corporations within the Combine against each other. Using false claims of separation and doctored files recording deals to other states handled independently of the Combine, the seeds of doubt were planted. After time, opinions and projected directions of the Combine began seriously conflicting between the individual corporations. It was just a matter of time before a split occurred.

Sensing this large amount of doubt within the Combine triggered the UEC to act, launching terrorist attacks in the name of several corporations on Mars. Believing these attacks to be an attempt to take over the Combine, several groups of corporations split off, forming the Adder, Martian Mining Combine (MMC), Strauss, and New Daedalus Combines. At this point it was just a matter of choosing sides for the UEC. Having spent the last 20 years spying on the Combine and many of the inner corporations, the UEC had extensive knowledge of what role each Combine was strongest in. Leaders of the UEC approached the CEOs of the Strauss Combine, the strongest in research and development. Their terms were simple, the UEC would support Strauss in the inevitable war as long as they shared their technology, including Neutronium detection.

Wanting an advantage on the other Combines, Strauss quickly agreed to the terms and set up academies and branch offices on Earth. Education systems were overhauled by the Strauss Combine and Neutronium detecters were provided to the UEC while they caught up technologically.

Because all the common locations Neutronium was found had belonged to the old Combine, war erupted over who owned what. Between the New Daedalus, Adder, Strauss and UEC, and MMC, the Combine War, masterminded by the UEC, had come to fruition.

A massive project to move mankind off the shattered surface of Earth began within the UEC, powered by their own source of Neutronium, simply called Ladder. The design, made with help from the Strauss Combine, involved huge towers which reached beyond the atmosphere. Six towers were to be constructed, one on each arctic pole and four equally far apart along the equator. Each tower was connected at the top by three rings spanning the entire orbit of the planet. Construction on Ladder was not disturbed by the war, there was no Neutronium to be mined on Earth. Almost all combat took place between huge capital ships guarding mining vessels in the asteroid belts; there were pirate attacks on ships carrying the material. Mars itself was often the place of combat due to all the combines being located there. While a quick attack on Earth may have proven useful in the War over Neutronium, the combines were not accustomed to war; the only sensible targets to them were other organizations trying to mine.

When the Ladder project was finished, cities began popping up all over the towers and rings up in orbit. The UEC allowed for people to move up the towers and live in orbit without cost. Billions of people flocked to the towers, eager to move away from the deserts and wastelands, however, the Ladder project had not expected the population to spike as much as it did after WWIII, and there was not enough room for everyone. Each tower was given its own state status, regulated by the UEC as a national government. Those who remained on the surface were called the Earthbound. The Earthbound were forced to live in the ruined desert world, they congregated around the bases of the towers or any areas with Strauss academies and branch offices. Making enough money to buy their way into orbit had become the driving force of every Earthbound's life.

As energy loses efficiency the farther it has to travel, Neutronium reactors had to be built on the surface to power the lower levels of the ladders. After Neutronium goes trough nuclear reactions, it is eventually reduced to dust and smoke. Just a tiny amount of Neutronium creates enough dust and smoke to cover millions of square miles. Normally this dust and smoke is compressed and launched towards the sun, Mars can do it because of the lower gravity, the orbital cities of Earth can do it because of the same reason, but the surface reactors just pump it out onto the planet because sending it into space is not cost effective. The entire planet was eventually shrouded in darkness from the dust and smoke expelled from the reactors. The Earthbound were assured that the waste from the reactors was harmless, consisting mostly of iron.

This is where we begin.

Durandal

Reaction score
Fascinating, it appears to be highly innovative and original, however I would not know all that well

20 billion to 50 billion in only a century.

Is this even possible? 0_o

as it weighed trillions of tons

I believe this isn't possible in terms of science, if it were the case, you would have black holes all over the place due to the MASSIVE amount of weight concentrated in one place

Millions of tons would be more feasible

Durandal

Reaction score
I've done my research now, apparently it's more then possible, as the density required for a black hole is about ten solar masses, a great deal more then trillions of tons

I think

Not being a physicist I'm not entirely certain, but all the same, it seems more then possible now.

Great storyline

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
neutron stars are incredibly massive, yet small in volume, so incredibly dense that their actual molecular structure is compact. They aren't quite as dense as black holes (far from it actually), one the size of a large city would have the mass of the sun. Here's a fun fact, a back hole can be of any size theoretically. A single atom could compacted enough to become a black hole, as the force of gravity increases exponentially the closer you are to an object. The problem is most things are too large to get close enough to them for them to have an event horizon.

Also, populations are very liable to double or more in the span of 100 years. Lets say each generation is separated by 40 years, so new kids are born every 40 years. Now lets say everyone has four kids (It's been proven by demographic studies that people have bigger families when there is a surplus of food or wealth), that is a 2/1 increase every 40 years. Assuming half the population are having kids, that is 20 billion babies, making 40 million people. That 20 billion has 40 billion kids after 40 years, making the total population 80 billion after 80 years. Taking into consideration the rate at which people die (it's the future, better medication etc.) lets give them 100 years of life. after 20 more years the original 20 billion will have died, and I'd estimate the population to be 80-90 billion. Not everyone has kids, and not everyone has more than two kids (which is what would maintain a constant population if everyone did), so 20 to 50 billion in a century with the help of easily obtained food is easily possible.

I'm also not a demographic scientist, but it makes sense to me.

Durandal

Reaction score
Yea , I looked it up myself, neutron stars are about 5 solar masses, while normal stars are about 2, but anything 10 and up becomes a black hole due to it's sheer mass

and Frog Blast the Vent Core is epic win

Manbatapus

Reaction score
Holy didgeridoos. That is quite an impressive setting (for a novel, I presume?). Certainly a book I would read. I personally love the concept of a future run by corporations (not in Real-life, but in books. I find it interesting) and the Daedelus Combine discovering Neutronium is an excellent way to create that sort of power imbalance, along with their being located on Mars.

Very well done, sir.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Your about the second person I have ever known to pull of the Post apocalyptic war of Earth the broke out of a single resource. And boy did you make it awesome. GJ.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.