Sighting

Xonora

Reaction score
So i was thinking of making a map where u can only see forward. So i create 3 dummies each with different sighting radiuses in different distances from the facing of the character every 0.1 sec. And then removing it after a short duration so wherever my character faces, he can see only in front of him. Would this work?

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
I think creating the gem of true sight... or what was it called... Increases sighting in a straight line.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
"Gem of True Seeing" only makes you see invisible units in your line of sight...
Nothing about giving sight in a straight line there :S

I'd say either create dummies, or use Visibiliy modifiers...
(This would be much more efficient than using dummies, if you could move visibility modifiers :()

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Someone should make this system in vJASS...

Xonora

Reaction score
"Gem of True Seeing" only makes you see invisible units in your line of sight...

(This would be much more efficient than using dummies, if you could move visibility modifiers :()

erm could u like tell me how?
and dummies have another problem. if i use dummies, my characters can see through walls. how do i stop that?

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
night elfs have that ability, where it allows you to see further at night, perphaps you can change that!

kingkwong92

Reaction score
set z_point = z of unit
if z of point XXXX less than or equal to (z_point + xxx) or point is unpathable equal to false then
Create dummy/visibility modifier

This stops seeing through walls, cliffs or higher areas than are too high.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I once did something like this for a zombie survival map long time ago.

( That map had collinsion missile bullets, no shared vision, and friendly fire. Combined with this sight system, it meant that your allies and their bullets were actually much bigger threat than all those zombies. It was pretty fun, though. )

It works pretty nicely for that kind of maps, where each player only controls one or few units. ( Doing it for big number of units would be kinda performance costly )

The only problem really is that you can see behind trees and walls, but that can also be fixxed with some loop which checks terrain in the line front of unit looking for walls and destructibles. You simply dont move those dumies behind those thignies if there is any.

Also period of .03 is probably enough for moving dummies, because thats the speed human eye works. I usually prefer .025 myself, though.

So yea, it works.

Xonora

Reaction score
Sounds cool. But the thing is how do i overcome this 'see through the walls and trees' problem??

black.sheep

Reaction score
Well, you could give units a short sight range, and then check if the point your creating at is visible to the user.
Trigger:
  • ((Center of (Playable map area)) is visible to Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True

Failing that, just use a terrain check.
Trigger:
  • (Terrain pathing at (Center of (Playable map area)) of type Walkability is off) Equal to False

Wratox1

Reaction score

you can move regions, just create a visibilty modifier on region and then move the region? doesnt that work?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.