StarCraft 2 Editor - Wish List

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Just posted a link to this thread on the b.net forums, maybe then they'll do something about it! :)

Hot

Reaction score
This doesnt have anything to do with the Editor it self, but more about functions in the game.

Built in Voice Speak
Text Mute, Voice Mute

wizaerd

Reaction score
I mostly used the WC3 editor to make cinematics and machinima movies, which is what I would most likely use the SC2 editor for... So my requests would be for better cinematic functions... And the ability to save a cinematic/cutscene out to a video file for futher editing/post-processing work in a standard movie editor...

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
1. the editor (simplified)
  1. remove the dice from the damage; just set min/max damage
  2. reveal attachment points for units
  3. add a colorizer, so users don't have to mess around with |cff000234| junk
  4. able to play part of the game thru editor, (useful when making a new skill, and have to test it! we don't want to keep opening wc3 right now everytime we fix a spell)
  5. remove useless junk from editor, for example, art - rotation, art - x, etc....
  6. provide a manual for the editor online, which explains all the fields in each unit/item/ability/buff editor

2. only one way to create triggers, (we have GUI and JASS now... albeit it being the same thing, I want it so either there is only JASS or only GUI, right now we have groups, either you know jass or you don't!!)

3. auto ping on b.net w/ location
4. no bot hosting
5. draw regions, instead of sqaures!! hate it
6. make spells MUI/MPI!!!!!!!!

Chuff

Reaction score
I agree with some of this, especially attachment points. I'd suggest that the editor somehow scans for attachment points in a model when it's selected, so that it can present them in a drop-down list rather than having the user type them in, but then I know very little on modelling so I'm not sure if this could work.

Providing an extensive manual and the ping options would also be helpful, but I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about in point 5. I assume you mean being able to draw regions as more complex shapes rather than rectangles, which is an excellent suggestion (though I think its already been said). Being able to plot out our own polygons as regions would be amazing, even more so if we could draw regions with a hollow centre (like a ring), though this could be achieved with 2 irregular polygons in most (if not all) cases.

I disagree with points 1.5 and 2 though, because the prefixes (art- etc.) are there to categorise things and actually make them much easier to find in my opinion, and I've explained in an earlier post why we need both GUI and JASS. Also I'm not sure how point 1.4 would work, but I'm thinking a 'test unit/ability' might be possible, where the editor just places the unit being edited (or a basic unit with the ability being edited) onto a small blank map with a dummy enemy to fight. I'm not sure if the editor would still need to fire up the game to do this, but it might still be helpful for minor tests like that you describe.

Possibly for point 1.3, text fields might be given some sort of rich text editor (i.e. include buttons to change colour etc.). Maybe just in a context menu when right-clicking some highlighted text? Don't count on it though, It's probably not worth Blizzard's time to implement this.

msakni

Reaction score
1 : explain each field of the trigger/object editors
2 : Down-gradable (spelled it wrong) upgrades
3 : possibility to change object editor field of a unit in triggers
4 : Automatic Leak Cleaner
5 : Possibility to detect any keyboard's key, not just arrows keys and Esc
6 : (joke) A special eletronic thingies that you wear in your head and create your map just by dreaming
7 : A colorizer
8 : Advanced regions, that could be attached to units and drawn as you like (not just square)
9 : Multidimensional Array (which mean more than 1 array for variables)
10 : possibility to change a unit's skin and model.Many units have different skins color but you have to create another model for it :/
11 : A unique warcraft 3-only model editor (Abused but maybe...)
12 : No-ugly Cliffs
13 : MUI-Spells compatible with Waits
14 : A unique map protection system (with password)
15 : Online Campaigns (Woot :) )
16 : A more accurate attachment system (with possiblity to play a attachement's animation) like a marine on a tower, when the tower attacks, the marine play "attack" anim
18 : The possibility to create a random map (can choose tileset and size) and which can be accessed by one player while the other are in the main map
19 : Create and Edit doodads WITH TRIGGERS
20 : Zoomable minimap
21 : Advanced AI editor
22 : Change-able tooltips in-game and add icon to tooltips
23 : Create as much as build menu the map maker likes
24 : Walk Beneath Bridges
25 : Possibility to create custom variables (abused...)
26 : Able to create custom pathing IN the editor
27 : Possibility to create Custom ressources

Question : is there any chance that a Blizzard's staff look at this thread? :D

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]joNPrnY4K_4[/YOUTUBE]
link

thing that makes me really happy is the mouse look and the ability to enter buildings

Blizz has obviously dedicated SC2 to the map makers :p

Nokturnal

Reaction score
Modeling and Textures

I just hope we're given an easy way to alter and create models and textures via the editor. Having to resort to 3rd party programs in WC3 was a hassle.

Also an easier way to introduce music into maps without making the map size too big/load times horrible. Before WC3 came out I requested for at least the option to use midi files instead of mp3s/wavs for the ability to add your own music without it making the map file size huge, but they didn't put it in.

Already have tons of idea in my head about what custom maps I'm going to be making. Although, judging from the video, it seems like it'll no longer be custom maps but entirely new games. :thup:

mnoman

Reaction score
You know, blizzard is making a Map Protection, but it isnt the best from what i heard... its just password protecting, so every time you enter the map, you need to enter a pw :rolleyes:

also, you can work togheter on 1 map, simultaniously so no need to mail eachother the maps once youre done like for instance, im better in triggering than my friend, but i suck at terraining, he does terraining and i do triggering, we can work togheter :) thats awesome :thup:

that vid of the UBERLISK is pure ownage, always wanted to make a unit that throws zerglings from range and melees like a ultralisk :shades:

"6 : (joke) A special eletronic thingies that you wear in your head and create your map just by dreaming" hard to imagine, but some people (i watched discovery for a change) worked on a device (forgot name -.-') and they made a videogame in uber beta, that when you look scary the pc reconizes that, and the ghosts in the video go scared away... also, when theres a ball in the field, and you think it rolls to the right it actualy rolls! forget the mouse and keyboard, put up the crazy looking helmet and think your way through the SC2 campaign!

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
I need a dummy unit..... a premade dummy unit which can be copied/pasted easily, set the expiration timer on it thru the editor, invunerable, invisible, 1000000 mana, no food, etc....

higher move speed, 522 sucks!
be able to change armor/damage thru triggers easily, instead of adding tomes and systems!!
a damage detection system
no "a unit begins to cast an ability"

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Model objects... Kinda like special effects, except then not lacking about everything. (E.g. animations)

MEWTWO_o

Reaction score
1: A way to toggle boolean values instead of checking what value it has, then changing
2: Number values that can't go below 0 or similar things.
3: The ability to set a lifetime to effects.
4: Being able to reach ALL and ANY unit values trhough triggers.
5: <will edit if i think of something>

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>1: A way to toggle boolean values instead of checking what value it has, then changing

[lJASS]set bool = not bool[/lJASS]

>2: Number values that can't go below 0 or similar things.

Azlier no see use.

>3: The ability to set a lifetime to effects.

That's why we have systems that do that for you.

>4: Being able to reach ALL and ANY unit values trhough triggers.

Azlier agrees on this one.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
I just hope we're given an easy way to alter and create models and textures via the editor. Having to resort to 3rd party programs in WC3 was a hassle.

Check out my thread here!

Exactly what you were hoping ^^

1 : explain each field of the trigger/object editors

Sorry, blizz already posted saying they had no plans on doing that. They expect fansites/us(literally) to do the learning for them.

I'm fine with that! This community has really grown.

--Beetle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.