Structure Build Events/Etc.

AaronPwner

Reaction score
OK so, we want to use the Holding Pen model for one of our buildings, we're pretty new to the SC2 editor and one of the problem's we're having is the event related things.

Problem 1) We are using the Factory Build actor for the construction anim. I assume this automatically scales to the building somehow in some event somewhere, however, we must reduce the scale of the Holding Pen to 0.4/0.4/0.6 because it is very oversized for what we want (we only want it to be a 3x3 or 4x4) and because of this, the Factory Build actor also becomes 0.4/0.4/0.6 and is very small. (At least, that's what we think is why, either way, the actor is very small)

Problem 2) We want the Holding Pen to raise from the ground mid construction as per any other terran building. I decided to duplicate the factory and only change the model to the holding pen but this effect still doesn't work. Is this linked to the model? Or is some event somewhere just broken?

This whole events thing really confuses us :(

Scratch that. The ENTIRE Data editor confuses us. I used the WC3 editor quite a bit, but the data editor was so easy! This one it seems, adds so much power that it just gets confusing. I haven't seen any really good guides around explaining much.

(Triggering is eassssyyy. That's basically just coding :) )

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I've spent quite a fair amount of time trying to understand how that build animations work and believe me when I say that they are a pain in the ass. What makes it really hard is that the build animations work differently for each race.

1) This is fairly straight forward to fix. The first step is to create a build actor (you may have already done this when creating your unit). Go the the actors data type and create a new actor. Name it something like "Holding Pen Build", set the Actor Type to Model and Parent to Terran Building Build, then hit Ok. Edit the Art: Model Property and set it to Factory Build Then edit both the Properties: Accepted Properties Transfers + and Properties: Inherited Properties + and uncheck Model Scale and Scale. Now you can use the Art: Scale property on this actor to adjust the size of the build model to suit your model.

2) Terran buildings have a construction animation that tells them to raise out of the ground. The Holding Pen model won't have this animation, hence why it won't work. You would need to try and emulate this using actor events to change the height of the model. The problem becomes trying to get the raise event to fire at the correct time and trying to raise only the Holding Pen model (simply changing the height of the unit will also cause the build model to change height as well). It's possible that you could use site actors and attach the Build model to this rather than the unit but I would need to think/experiment about it some more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.