Tank Wars Opinions Needed!

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
As a few group of people may already know, I am currently in the process of making a newer and better version of the Aos type maps "Tank Wars".

What I need though is some general opinions of people who have played the map about what they like, dislike, think it needs, would like to see, new items etc etc...

Just as some starter questions,

1) Imported models / ability models, good - bad?

2) Warp points, I'm thinking of adding a couple to speed up movement around map due to the largish size of map, think this is a good or bad idea? (And why, I may be able to solve any possible problems)

3) A trade system, like in Battle Ships. Should there be one? Should there be designated trader tanks? Should it be effective way of getting gold, or a little below average to avoid cheap pooling? (Dumping all gold onto one player)

4) Make the terrain simplistic, or complicated? I have the terrain quite simple at the moment, mainly just textures, trees, a couple bushes, water and elevation. Should I spiff up the map and add doodads all around?

5) Additional creep quest... I might add a quest for additional gold and experience, as well as possibly a bonus item and access to a new store. This would be same for both teams, each having their own seperate creep camp quest. I havn't thought much about this but Im in need of some ideas...

Obviously I don't expect you to answer all of these, just 1 or 2...

Thank you all for your help, its much appreciated!

Rad

Reaction score
My teacher used to be a tank commander/driver whatever they are called, he says he used to play Ironman out of the loudspeakers whenever he drove it.. You should have some type of customization like that, not neccesarily music but you know - easy things. Decals, tinting etc.

DO NOT CALL YOUR MAP AN AOS - Tank wars is not an AoS... you dont have a hero you have a tank. Its a battlefield and I'm pretty sure the time with archers and grunts isnt in the same 'aeon' as tanks anyways :rolleyes:

1) A few - Good, Alot - Bad, A few on the godly ones - Good, Rigged ones with custom models - Bad

2) Bad, tanks cannot warp! If you have like the caves make a seperated region with a tunnel... be able to shoot down the supports to collapse the cave or something :)

3) Tanks are not traders, but maybe have convoys for income is a good idea

4) Simpistic areas, along the main paths... but some complex ones that have some good vantage points.

5) Dont call them quests, call them missions if you have any...

Also:

Have the starcraft/command and conquer (tiberian sun) artillery tank... that can burrow into the ground and gets a range bonus. Not totally rigged, but a unique feature. Also have a mammoth tank (or something) that has really high attack power, maybe one that has hellfire missiles... stuff like that

Unless you buy your weapons which you probrably do... have some weapons restricted to certain tanks and not just weapon slots. Maybe steal C&CGenerals thing where if you kill a tank you can salvage the remains for +hp or +armor (temporary).

Some other things to think about -

1) Artillery/AirStrikes: Like in Battlefield 2 maybe have a station where you can call them down... With a long cooldown especially at the start of the game

2) POW's: A mission could be to save POW's at a captured stronghold...

3) Neutral buildings: Valuable buildings that can do alot of things, increase income (Oil derricks), repair vehicles (Mechanic shop), Weapons Cache (+Ammo, rare weapons) etc.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Code:
As a few group of people may already know, I am currently in the process of making a newer and better version of the Aos type maps "Tank Wars".

What I need though is some general opinions of people who have played the map about what they like, dislike, think it needs, would like to see, new items etc etc... 

2) Warp points, I'm thinking of adding a couple to speed up movement around map due to the largish size of map, think this is a good or bad idea? (And why, I may be able to solve any possible problems)

3) A trade system, like in Battle Ships. Should there be one? Should there be designated trader tanks? Should it be effective way of getting gold, or a little below average to avoid cheap pooling? (Dumping all gold onto one player)

4) Make the terrain simplistic, or complicated? I have the terrain quite simple at the moment, mainly just textures, trees, a couple bushes, water and elevation. Should I spiff up the map and add doodads all around?

5) Additional creep quest... I might add a quest for additional gold and experience, as well as possibly a bonus item and access to a new store. This would be same for both teams, each having their own seperate creep camp quest. I havn't thought much about this but Im in need of some ideas...

What you should do is make a complicated map where there can be creeps around the area. Like if you go into a watery area you can run into sharks. If you are a trader you can evolve your trading industry by upgrading your tank.

Trading Idea:
Trading Tank level 1
Trading Transformer (transforms into a ship & tank) level 2
Trading Jet (it flies) level 3

Basic Trading:
You should make it so the first level you don't require any gold to take the ticket. But when you go on you will start having to pay from each ticket by each level by a power of 1.5.

You should make it so the trader player cannot trade his money or do missions etc... anything after a grace period so that the money isnt flying everywhere.

Level 1: FREE ( 200 gold from mission )
Level 2: 10g ( 400 gold from mission )
Level 3: 500g( 1200 gold from mission )

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
(Rad your my hero)

I'm keeping the sort of warcraft3 style to it, but I dont have grunts and archers running around... I have marines, spell breakers and siege units running around. :D

Just so you, and others know, my hero break down is something like this...

Tanks - Slow moving units, high defence and hp, explosive/aoe abilitys

Airship - Middle speed, low health and defence, obviously maneuverable, abilitys will be like artillery, and abilitys singling out a sole unit.

Golem - Medium - High health and defence, average speed and a bonus melee attack. Abilitys will consist of melee abilitys and auras.

Creature - Low life and defence, slow to fast speed (varies) no attack, abilitys will consists of powerful support spells, repairs, building (maybe, nothing rigged) and possibly able to combine items and weapons, or build ones from close to scratch.

Any abilty, unit or item ideas? Please post, it all helps! My creativity is running dry...

Edit: The trade system will be rather simplisitc, and I think after a point will become a poor way of making gold, so may be a good bonus for first 10 mins of game, but afterwards being somewhat slow. I don't think I will specify trade heroes, yet it will be quite obvious that air, maneuverable tanks, and agile creatures will be quite good at it.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Jimpy said:

Models/ skins are good, thoguh skins are better since you can make em really small size, only use models if they are mega bad ass

warp sounds cool points, but normal ones, makes ones that if you ride over the increase movement speed or soemthing, but have so they can only be used every so often or something, and implement something so that you can tell when they can be used or not

trade could be good

terrain is money for maps, no matter how good the map is, if the terrain is poo then its no fun to play, I feel terrain can make or break a map

quests are coo too

W

what666said

Jimpy said:

As work on my own project has significantly decreased in speed, I'm taking some time to throw other people ideas while I slowly finalize the ideas.

Imports are annoying, if the project goes over 1 megabyte it will not be downloadable over b.net, I don't recommend that unless a map has a strong following.

Warps would be nice, it would help ease mobility... a great idea :D.

Maybe put a "caravan" for both teams (two or three computer owned units that run back and forth), a successful caravan trip returns gold to all the players automatically, but if the enemy cut off your supply you lose the gold. Then the caravan unit would respawn maybe 30 seconds later (a penalty for the death).

Make it good looking, but not overly complicated. Maps need a balance.

Add several quests, as mentioned above some ideas could be:

Prisoner Return
Kill neutral enemies on the map
Etc..

Rad

Reaction score
Trading Idea:
Trading Tank level 1
Trading Transformer (transforms into a ship & tank) level 2
Trading Jet (it flies) level 3

First of all, I think you should impliment some type of convoy delivery instead of traders... However many trucks get to thier destination you get gold for. That way the 'trader' wouldnt have all the pressure put on him.

And here are some different types of tanks... If your obsessed with tanks and stuff and this is all bullshit your probrably right, I got the names from a site but had to improvise as the site was unorganized... The weapons are thier main cannon/gun which should not be detachable.

Code:
Tank Type ..... Name ..... Special
Light Tank ..... Renault FT17 ..... Fast and maneuverable assault tank - 37mm shells
Medium Tank ..... M26 Pershing ..... All-Around Armored vehicles, agile and powerful - 90mm shells
Heavy Tank ..... Mark VIII ..... Slow moving tank with heavy armor - 105mm shells 
Artillery ..... White M4A1 ..... Long-Range and slow moving vehicle, massive damage but highly vulnerable - 162mm shells
Amphibious ..... T52 Havoc ..... Average tank equipped with prototype floatation device - 2x .30 cal turrets
APC ..... Caisson Mk VII ..... Highly mobile transport equipped with 2x .30 cal turrets, and 2 additional manned turrets

Additional Weapons...
Code:
Type ..... Name ..... Details
Turret ..... 47mm Skoda A9j ..... Mini-version of the adult 96mm cannon
Machine Gun ..... ZB vz.30J ..... Rapid-Fire innacurate machine gun turret
Anti-Air ..... v7.6 64mm LAAG ..... LAAG: Light Anti-Aircraft Gun, Attachable turret allows Ground-to-Air missle fire
Cannon ..... 2pdr or 3.7" howitzer ..... Long-range Howitzer cannon with incredible power, very slow

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.