Team Slaughter Wars

S

Slaughter

Skip to the end if you are Rad or otherwise uninterested in the beginning ^^.

I made this map six months ago because I liked Footmen vs. Grunts, but I wanted more freedom in unit production.

Slaughter Wars is like regular war3, but with everything except combat taken out. You get resources by killing enemy units. You produce units by throwing up generators, which automatically churn out units, and work like regular Barracks buildings in that you can give them a rally point so that the units run to battle when they come out.

There was one generator building for each regular melee unit. Which means there were something like 40 generators. One builder had access to all these via a triggered spell that turned him into another builder. The set of worker-change abilities all had the same hotkey, so you could quickly cycle through the five available builders. High-tier units were available from the very beginning.

The version I made months ago was fun at the start of the game, where you had to try to get kills without letting the enemy farm your units. Late game, though, everything broke down because there would be WAY too many units. Screens were filled with Flying Machines. It was a bad scene.

I thought of a fix but didn't implement it then. I was bored with the game maybe. The fix is to have the generator buildings produce only a fixed number of units before 'timing out' and dying. That way, each unit has a well-defined cost to its owner. It costs [the amount that the generator costs divided by the number of units the gen can make]. If the bounty the unit gives is only slightly more than this cost, the amount of gold in the game will not grow very fast, compared to the way it grew when gens laster forever.

You can get one hero for 500, another for 1000 more, and a third for 1500 (these figures may be a little off, but whatever). Dead Heros respawn automatically, and for free when they die, but they give significant bounty and take a while to come back out. The alter works like the worker. There are 4 alter buildings, and you can cycle between them quickly.

I made a weak fountain to help out people who pull units out of combat, and also made it sell items.

For game-theoretical reasons, the most promininent being the reason that Footmen Wars is bad, the players are divided into two teams.

*****DESCRIPTION OF GAME ENDS HERE*****

So, everything works pretty much, but I could use some help with terrain. I have an arena that works pretty well, but it isn't super-attractive. If someone likes the map concept and is good at making nice, but fairly subdued terrain (I don't need it to look like the terrainer went doodad-crazy) I would appreciate the help. I'll insert a picture of the arena from above.

The two central starting locations on each side (the ones not in the corners) are recessed slightly back into the rear wall of the arena beceause I didn't want any players base to be more vulnerable to attack than any other's.

The center part of the arena is at a lower elevetion so that you can defend at the ramps for an advantage.

Any terrainers interested in helping?

Anyone else have comments on the game structure, ways to improve gameplay, et cetera? One important topic for discussion is which heros should be cheaper. For now, all heros cost the same amount, although a few stick out as being better than others in this format. Tauren Chieftain and Dreadlord both look really good in big battles. But is there any hero that will really be crap in this environment, and should cost less?

Attachments

• swarena.jpg
    swarena.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 317

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Depends how strong heros can get, and what their like compared to units.

I'd say a lot of things would be the same as in http://www.nohunters.com/Guides/Frenzy/. Maybe look in that for a bit of advice.

And your terrain looks fine your don't really need much for this type of game.

This sounds awesome fun though.

S

Slaughter

Yeah that's true it's not like some kind of 'immerse yourself in the world' game. I guess I'll leave the for now. I've seen your work in other threads, Jimpy. If I change the terrain, I'll come to you.

Outbreak--not exactly. You don't commit to one race.

I'll clarify the racial structure of this game.

At the beginning of the game you have 2000 gold. You could:
1. Buy an archer gen and a bear gen (600 and 1200)
2. Buy two fiend gens (900 each)
3. Buy a grunt gen and a riflemen gen
4. Buy a knight gen and a Dreadlord
5. ...
6. ...

You can make any unit combo you want. You have access to all the racial units in the game (no creeps yet) and all the heros, including tavern heros. This map also acts a playground for combat possibilities that don't show up on ladder because they include cross-racial unit combos.

I'm just now editing the bounty values. Gens will produce 18 of a unit. Bounties are on the order of 30ish for a ghoul to 80 for a knight to 120 for a frost wyrm, always roughly 1/15 the cost of the generator. Hero kills give 200.

If everyone micros hard to cash-deny enemies, focusing own red units and so forth, money in the game could conceivably go down. But it seems unlikely that anyone will cash-deny with 1/6 of his units, so 18 units per gen with each unit giving 1/15 the cost of the generator seems safe.

S

Slaughter

Yeah, it's playable.

I think the victory/defeat conditions are fucked up though.

edit: yep. Victory/defeat definitely don't work.

edit the second: I'm going to try to fix the victory condition triggers. Trouble is I don't even know what I want. When you lose all your buildings you can stay in the game to micro whatever units you have left. But you can't build new buildings (I remove the builder). Then, when all players have lost all their buildings, I guess, you lose. Ok, off to program :p .

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.