Terraining a graveyard

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
I am "really" having trouble creating a scary graveyard/churchyard/tombyard.

As in, I need some ideas, inspiration, if you have created a graveyard-scene before in any of your maps, care to upload a picture?

Either a map with something scary in it or a screenshot of something you have already made, do not create something new unless you want to that is. Else give me some suggestions of what models you would put in a churchyard/tombyard scene... Or, if you find a cool model, scary, fence? tree? lantern? torch? tile? corpse? on any site, feel free to give link...

Of course there are gravestones, corpses, some darkish fog... what else is there to put in?

Of course I have looked at hive and so on, but...
In short: need some inspiration on what to put in.
Cheers

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Fun recommendation is for the ground to be a pleasant mix of dark dirt, in some places maybe some blight (Blizzard's map makes the blight REALLLLY shine). If the graveyard is the entire map, you can also change the sky settings, which might darken the graveyard a little more.
Dead trees here and there might also help.

ManyTimes

Reaction score
>>>>Fun recommendation is for the ground to be a pleasant mix of dark dirt, in some places maybe some blight (Blizzard's map makes the blight REALLLLY shine)

Really shine? No? Maybe with your graphic card/settings in wc3 that is... You mix blight, dirt and rough dirt (+-)...its not even close to shiny (if you consider it as "this is just wc3", then thats as good as it gets? Or am I naive?)... And, actually, dirt...sucks.

I've tried lumpy grass from Ashenvale, and I like it, which is wrong... I feel there should be grass in a yard like this, not just dirt...

Wasted: nothing new... Thanks though.

Whats the scariest map you've ever played?

Chao

Reaction score
I didn't mean a literal shine.
Dirt gives it a neglected feel... I can't take SS's because they come out black, so I can't quite show you what I mean. But Blight adds a nice touch..

ManyTimes

Reaction score
>>can't take SS's because they come out black
Tried taking screenshot of something else besides the world editor? Try put "my computer" at the very bottom right/left, so you can see what you want to show me in the background, then print screen? or? :)

Oh, I know you didn't mean literally shiny...just, not as dark as you would think of it...kind of.

Chao

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying - Dirt + night + smoke smudge doodad, + blight and hard dirt.. that's my taste, I suppose.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
give me some more details on how you want the graveyard to look like and i would be glad to do my best xD

should it be a graveyard in a town? a village? is it a tomb with corpses and skeletons? maybe some magical elements like runes or blue fires or something like that?

ManyTimes

Reaction score
Does not really matter, just want to see other peoples work, on a graveyard theme, then I'll do my best to steal their idea? Or tips on models you were using whenever you created such a landscape (what kind of models, either custom ones, give link, or some "rare" "unique" that already exists, not like "Lord. Summer Tree" or "shrubs" :p

Well, mostly just a grave/churchyard in a forest... maybe its ruined, maybe its haunted, who knows...

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Really shine? No? Maybe with your graphic card/settings in wc3 that is... You mix blight, dirt and rough dirt (+-)...its not even close to shiny (if you consider it as "this is just wc3", then thats as good as it gets? Or am I naive?)

I don't know about shiny, or what kind of graphics card. But to be honest, you are being naive. I have seen sceens from wc3 that can messure up to tes4:eek:blivion and more games that are a few years younger.

The capabilities of warcaft3 is almost unlimited. The only thing that keeps your from making a graveyard that I can think of would be that you don't know how a graveyard should look like. Try go out and actually look at a graveyard.

I live about 100meters from one and I would say that during daytime it looks actually quite beautiful with trimmed grass, beautiful tombstones and so on. But on night it looks really spooky, it looks like a zombie could jump up anywhere.

When designing a graveyard I think of these things:
What kind of graveyard?
Is it a well managed one, is it a old ruined one in the forest, does it have mosuleums, flowers on the graves?
Is there a church nearby?

If it is a well managed one you can make the stones inline. And maybe put a church there to.
Code:
-------  -------
-------  ------
-------  ------

ManyTimes

Reaction score
Accname: tnx

>>quite beautiful with trimmed grass
I've been to poland (depends on where you are in poland of course...) and those churchyards are like the houses in the US during christmas, lights in every color you can imagine...

>>Try go out and actually look at a graveyard
I know how a graveyard looks like, no zombies moving in the bushes, no gargoyles flying around, not even a single bat... :)

>>stones inline
hmm... thanks for replying though.

>>I have seen sceens from wc3
Where?

PS: I Do not want any further "stories" on where you guys live or dont live... Go straight to the point, else, go somewhere else :p (not to offend...)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Whats the scariest map you've ever played?

Who is the killer?
well its prolly cuz of the fucked up music in the background, but when you hear the music you know the killer is near some1
u gotta play it to enjoi the scaryness

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
>>I have seen sceens from wc3
Where?

www.hiveworkshop.com:thup:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f452/dusk-89561/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f452/fake-hdr-lighting-84239/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f267/legendary-terrains-65435/

This is a little dark, maybe something for you:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f452/hathenfall-53782/

I could not find the one I wanted to. I remember a house from a screenshot that look exactly like it is taken from oblivion with medium graphics, It was quite a while ago. But I hope these proves my point;)

WarToast

Reaction score
My example... Used the Dark Terraining guide.

Attachments

• crypt.jpg
    crypt.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 97
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.