tommylee0923

Reaction score
As you have seen the tittle...

What's the difference between......

Windows? (which are Xp and Vista)

Mac?

Linux? (not sure for spelling)

Thank you

Note: I will buy a computer or a laptop.

Please tell the good about it and the bad about for example...
Does it have a good looking theme? etc.

Asdfblah1

Reaction score
A better idea is to pick either a laptop or desktop with windows XP. Vista actually lowers fps in most games.

- Laptop should solely be for mobility
- Desktops are for power (gaming/whatever)

You can game on a laptop but the higher end models are ridiculously expensive compared to a desktop with the same specs.

For example, a $2k laptop could easily be replicated into a desktop for about $700ish. Only problem is that you lose mobility. Tack on a couple hundred more if you're looking for a name brand such as alienware.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Windows = Gaming and Business ("Mainstream" businesses usually use Windows)
Mac = Creativity [Art&Gaming&2D/3D Animations] (Don't trust me? Look at lots of "behind the scene" movies done by Pixar and Dreamworks, or Game Devolopers like Epic Games or Bungie *yes a Microsoft game company*
Linux = Programming and Software Devolopement

All 3 OSs can make cross-platform software but Linux tends to have that more.
All 3 OSs have opensource apps but Mac and Linux offer more.
Windows and Linux are good for making servers
Mac and Linux are least targeted to viruses/spyware/malware.
Mac developes easier than other OSs
All 3 OSs can virtually run another OSs or Dual Boot.

But it doesn't matter what OSs you pick because in all, mostly everything I listed can be done on any OSs but the community which use the OSs tend to make a OS limited. For example:

Linux can't play games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpE6UqslT8
Linux can run WoW with full FPS using WineHQ

Macs can't get viruses:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/26/more_mac_malware/
Yes they can.

Windows tend to have lots of errors:
Every OSs has it's share with errors.

Macs can't play games:
http://www.apple.com/games/
Most game developers tend to make their games for Windows (Mainstream OS)

I run windows XP dual boot with Ubuntu (Linux) I want to run Mac but my drivers are not compatible with it.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Simple breakdown:
(When I refer to Windows, it's windows 7, Mac, OSX Leopard)

PCs are cheaper, Macs are more expensive.

PCs are cheaper because the parts are cheaper because there is competition for selling RAM, graphics cards, etc... imo (in my opinion).

Macs are more expensive because Apple make all the hardware, and the operating system, which results in it being very stable.
EDIT: (Actually this is wrong, they don't make the hardware from what I know, but it is I'm sure carefully selected, you can get the same parts for PCs)

I've never had my Mac crash, it froze 3x playing games, once during runescape, twice during eve online, but I didn't have the latest java update for RS, and eve online well it's just using cider or something to run it on Mac rather than having it built completely for Mac, something like that anyway.

Easy enough fix though, power button for 2 seconds, computer turns off, turn it back on your good to go.

Apart from that, I've had a breeze, no crashes, no viruses, nothing.

You don't really need virus protection unless your downloading torrents or other dangerous stuff, I've not had any for 8 months, no probs.
You could get some just to be "extra" safe, from what I know Mac are just harder to write viruses for, they also have less of the Market than Microsoft for PCs.

So why write a virus that's harder to make, and target less market?
Mac's aren't virus proof, but it is very hard to get one (without anti-virus software).

Software update makes it really easy to update all (or most) of the programs on your Mac, it finds them for you, downloads them and it installs them for you too, windows update isn't as good.

Features in Leopard like Spaces, Expose, Time Machine are fantastic, expose makes flipping between programs / windows fast and easier, spaces is liking having multiple desktops, you can flick to a space, keeps your desktop nice and clean, work apps in one space, iTunes/Mail in another, sticky notes in another, you can have up to 16.

Even the way the Finder displays files compared to Windows Explorer is better imo.

I like the dock, and everything about Leopard, and in fact... Snow Leopard is coming out, which will be even better, a refined version of Leopard, it will be a lot faster. (And it's a $30 upgrade I think)

So imo, leopard is better for general use, or graphics/video/audio work.
I'll note that Mac is NOT good for gaming.

You can run Windows on a Mac, so you can play games on Windows, you can't install Mac on Windows though.

I'd recommend a desktop computer, you'll pay less than a laptop for the same specs.

I'd point out I've never had a problem with Windows crashing, when it's running on my Mac, so I'd put Windows crashing mostly to the hardware.

I don't know about Linux, never used it.

Hope that helps, mostly mac sided but I don't have a lot of time.

Kind Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.