WIP The Genesis Project

Rhadamant

Reaction score
www.rhadamant.com/genesis/

When I get the chance I'll create some media from the map to post as screenshots, but as you will read the solar system doesn't exist until you start playing, so there aren't any screenshops to be had from the editor.

Basic Info
The Genesis Project is a 3v3vAI map where the player controls a terraforming spaceship. Each player can select a planet to basically inherit, and your task is to defend your planet and terraform it so it becomes habitable for plant, animal and sentient life. The players can setup orbiting space stations around their planet, solar arrays, mining bases and more. There are multiple types of space ships the player can control. Combat / Constructing / Exploring and Terraforming. Players go toe to toe with one another as rivaling factions, but the AI often intervenes and forces the players to defend their lowly planet.

Planets
Planets are totally dynamic. Depending on atmospheric composition, temperature, magnetosphere and many other factors the planet's terrain will slowly change to meet the new conditions. Plant life will slowly grow and evolve based upon the different biomes you have on your planet. No planet starts off habitable, some are too hot, some too cold, some with too little gravity, or too much. Too weak of a magnetosphere, or too strong. No oxygen? Maybe no water, it is all random and dynamic.

Solar System
The solar system is a very realistic binary star setup where 3 planets orbit around one star and 3 other planets orbit around the other. Moons and bases orbit around the planets and some dwarf planets and larger asteroids orbit in asteroid belts.

Backstory
The Terraformers are exiled members of the Centaurus Omega Commonwealth. The C-Omega Commonwealth outlawed planetary engineering, decreeing only the gods should wield the power to create life and manipulate worlds. Most of the researchers of planetary engineering wanted to spawn life on dead planets and uplift society. Many in the Commonwealth feared that the tools of Terraforming would be used instead to devastate worlds and enslave civilization.

The planetary engineering conflict created a rift in the Commonwealth between the two counter viewpoints. The rift became irreparable when experimentation on asteroids and dwarf planets began, so the Terraformers were exiled out of the Omega Centaurus galaxy. Different sub factions of the original Terraformer researchers went their separate ways, scattered to the stars of distant galaxies.

The Alpha Centauri Terraformers traveled to the Centauri solar system. Unfortunately the small Alpha Centauri Faction split once more, dividing the binary stars of the Centauri Solar System. The Centauri System has secrets of its own, and our Terraformers are not alone.

I've been putting in some time into this project and I've been minimally posting updates online. I'd post more, but it would take away from development time.

www.rhadamant.com/genesis/

Tell me what you think!

screen1.jpg

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Seems like an awesome project :)

Did you get the 'terraforming' 'mining bases' e.t.c from Spore ;) ?

edit: damn I was quick to post xD

Rhadamant

Reaction score
The map is a bit like spore, but without all the watered down child science.

Like in Spore, you do terraform planets for habitability, but you don't use giant heat rays or snow storm creators. The planets themselves live almost like a giant organism. As your planet heats up, for instance, snow will slowly melt and small tundra plants may even sprout up to replace ice floes and glaciers.

In addition you only get one planet. You can't just burn out on your first one and move on. Another feature which I forgot to mention is your interaction with the planet. You may be found to be 'good or evil' much like the Black and White series.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
A project like this im hoping will be a campaign because games like this go on for to long a people will just quit and get borred(I would).

Rhadamant

Reaction score
I'm planning for it to not be campaign. It will last roughly the same amount of time as most of the ORPGs out there. Luckily, however, if a player leaves on one specific team, it doesn't greatly effect the remaining players.

jk2pach

Reaction score
This seems quite interesting.

Will ships be managed in real time? ( I mean classical melee combats)

Rhadamant

Reaction score
The player will only directly control one ship, but through alignment and allegiance the player can forge a partnership between him/herself and the inhabitants of the world that he/she is terraforming. The inhabitants, once aligned with, may fight with/for you.

Rhadamant

Reaction score
You play a hero, yes. You switch between being an explorer / constructor / interceptor or terraformer.

Rhadamant

Reaction score
The Explorer is the all around hero that you start off with. The explorer is decent at fighting, building, terraforming and exploring.

The Constructor is focused on setting up infrastructure for your new planet, like solar power arrays, refineries, mines and just about anything a Terraforming nation would need.

The Interceptor is the combat focused hero. Not all that useful for helping out the planet or civilization, but when you're getting attacked, you'll want to probably become an Interceptor to fend out the hordes.

The Terraformer allows you to micromanage and carefully manipulate the planet and your civilization in order to advance you further in the game. A Terraformer is the best class to play early on, as your planet will need A LOT of work to become habitable.

jk2pach

Reaction score
Well.

For Stars I tried to make this kind of difference. But my hero-ships do not have hero skills.

Do your own hero-ships have learnable skills?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.