The Helpers aid a new jasser!

Tooblet

Reaction score
First off I want to describe a bit where I am at in coding and map making.
I've been on and off for a little more than a year in the WE.
My massive ORPG I've been working on is in its final stages and I feel I have mastered GUI pretty much to its limits.
With Starcraft 2 coming out this year (hopefully) I've already started to plan out my next map that I will make in the SC2 Editor.
I thought I'd explore jass and learn a bit more complicated and better coding.
Actually I plan on really learning it well and go on to the really advanced stuff.
You know, just to be prepared for the next editor wich I am assuming features about the same language.
I have no experience of other coding languages like C++ or anything.
So I'm completely new to Jass/vJass and I am eager to start scripting away.
Hurray!
I've done a whole bunch of beginner tutorials and I feel like a grasp the very basics of Jass and it really strikes me as awesome so far.
Obviously I need to practise ALOT in order to learn it.
But my problem is that I don't really know where to begin.

So I was just wondering if you guys had any general tips, maybe tell me how you all began learning it.
If you know any tutorial that goes through step by step how to make a small system or just...
general tips on what to have in mind while learning jass and what mistakes are often made..
things like that.
feels like alot of tutorials go through leaks and how to remove them and all that good stuff that made me want to learn jass in the first place.
But in order to learn that, I need to learn how to friggin make some neat triggers of my own, with or without leaks.
So... I want EVERYTHING you can offer me! :D

Hellohihi

Reaction score
I started learning jass not more than 5 days ago.

I would recommend you to learn vjass right away instead.

I really find it more easy than jass.

I started off by attempting to convert simple gui triggers into efficient vjass triggers. And when i needed help, i search on this forum, or i post a topic seeking help.

If you want to start converting gui triggers to vjass triggers, take a look at cohadar's tutorial, it helped me alot:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80241

And jass's crash course is really worth reading too:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116495

And finally, the best way to learn is to ask in this forum!

Tooblet

Reaction score
Tom Jones your link doesnt work for me it says "sorry no matches".

And Hellohihi, 5 years is alot of time :DI realize wc3 is almost dead and I'm a bit late here :p
but yeah, I use newgen and don't really bother learning regular jass.
I don't really know what defineds vJass from jass other than the code seems easier and more efficient.

thanks for the links although I've allready gone through em both.

But I will start to convert my GUI triggers to vjass and make them efficient and stuff that's a great tip.

More stuff in the lines of that. Like how to practise and maybe things that would take ages for me to figure out myself would help.
remember when I first started learning GUI triggering. I had no clue what variales was until I stumbled upon a tutorial.
That changed my whole view on triggering.
is there any stuff like that in vjass that newbies like myself could save a year of practising by just knowing what is available? :D

Hope you get what I mean, my english is pretty messy.

Hellohihi

Reaction score
Tom Jones your link doesnt work for me it says "sorry no matches".

And Hellohihi, 5 years is alot of time :DI realize wc3 is almost dead and I'm a bit late here :p
but yeah, I use newgen and don't really bother learning regular jass.
I don't really know what defineds vJass from jass other than the code seems easier and more efficient.

thanks for the links although I've allready gone through em both.

But I will start to convert my GUI triggers to vjass and make them efficient and stuff that's a great tip.

More stuff in the lines of that. Like how to practise and maybe things that would take ages for me to figure out myself would help.
remember when I first started learning GUI triggering. I had no clue what variales was until I stumbled upon a tutorial.
That changed my whole view on triggering.
is there any stuff like that in vjass that newbies like myself could save a year of practising by just knowing what is available? :D

Hope you get what I mean, my english is pretty messy.

lol. :p

I started learning jass not more than 5 days ago.

The biggest difference that i feel is, you can use scope a trigger.
And then the function names in that scoped trigger can be the same as other function names in other scopes.

Otherwise you have to name all conditions and actions function names uniquely. However, scope names must still be unique.

You can read all about it on cohadar's tutorial on the Scopes, Initializers and Encapsulation part.

Tooblet

Reaction score
haha :D 5 days is a bit different ^^
yeah I read that tutorial too, I guess i'll just start converting to script and try myself to make it vJass or just modify allready existing triggers.
and then start making really simple spells or something.

for me Jass feels like starting over completely with triggers.
not really, but almost.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.