"This" posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
Example.

I continue to see more of these sots of posts. I honestly hate it when people put posts like that just to reiterate what some one else has said. Sadly I have seen romek do the same.

It is starting to seem like moderators are getting slack on the rules. Unless I do not have a clear indication of what spam is. This post is not just about the moderators, but their use of "this" has brought me to ask this question.

Romek said:
Stupid
Pointless
Annoying

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.
Perhaps Darthfett could have been a bit more verbose with his post, however, he did indicate which browser he preferred.... I would leave this up to the discretion of any mod who would like to take some action on it.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
I believe that a post must contain more than one word to say any thing. Not being a grammar Nazi or anything but he word "this" is not a sentence. Darthfetts post was pointless other than to reiterate what he could had said himself.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really think it's such a big deal. We don't have much in the way of absolute rules of what should and should not be deleted or so. And I think things work better that way. If you think something should be deleted, then report it and the staff will discuss it. That's all you can do, really.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I believe that a post must contain more than one word to say any thing. Not being a grammar Nazi or anything but he word "this" is not a sentence. Darthfetts post was pointless other than to reiterate what he could had said himself.

This is a staple in any forum, its a simple way to state you agree with another person. You can find "This" or "QFT" or "+1" in any forum

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I agree with Gameman on this one. If you wish to reiterate what someone has said, you should quote their post and add to it.

Posts should have content, not, as Gameman pointed out, Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally do not have a problem with it provided that it is used sparingly, but we allow the moderators around here a lot of license and generally won't go around overturning their actions if we don't 100% agree with them.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I personally do not have a problem with it provided that it is used sparingly, but we allow the moderators around here a lot of license and generally won't go around overturning their actions if we don't 100% agree with them.

Really though, every forum does it, and provided the user doesn't ALWAYS do it, I see no problem with it. If someone goes "My favorite food is ice cream" and someone answers "Chocolate", why retype the entire thing if thats also yours? It's just another way to say something like "Me too" or "I agree".

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with DDRtists. I'd understand why you were annoyed if this was in a help thread or something, and one person replied with a correct answer, and another just said 'this' to that reply. That would indeed be spam.

However, in this case, the point of the thread was to see which browser you prefer. Hence, if more than one person prefers the same browser, there's nothing wrong with agreeing with someone who also prefers that browser, including through the use of the word 'this'.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
THIS:

That's How I Support.
That's How I Say (Said).
Thank Heavens It's Satisfactory.

I don't see a problem with the word "This", as it's actually either an acronym, or a word referring to the quote, and don't want the quote itself to be repeated. There's an online LEET guide about the word "This" somewhere in the past. Not sure if it existed today.

EDIT:

Short to the point: The word "This" can't be used to repeat someone's answers. It can be used to shorten the expression of what your reference is like.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but in this particular instance, it isn't truly considered spam.

"This." posts is anyone's means of voicing their agreement. In a debate thread, I could go on a long lengthy argument if why my opinion is right and yours is wrong. The next person may want to throw their hat in that they agree with one of us and instead of re-stating everything, a simple quote and "This." shows people that they agree.

It's essentially the same thing as saying "I agree with Seth/whoever with what he said".

What is, really, the difference? I see none.

Sorry. No dice. It's allowed.

Thank you for your concerns about our spam :) It is, as always, much appreciated.

Have a good day, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.