US News This Texas church will use an AI-generated sermon this week

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Violet Crown City Church tests the limits of AI in a worship capacity.

Artificial intelligence has threatened to supercede those of us who make our livings by typing words or long strings of code into a computer. But there's another profession that may be at risk: pastor.

On Sunday, a church in Austin will debut an AI-generated worship service. Is this the beginning of our robot minister overlords?

Not so, says Pastor Jay Cooper of Violet Crown City Church, the Methodist church in north Austin that will debut an AI-generated sermon this weekend.

"This is a one-time deal," he says.

When the church put a banner out front advertising the Sunday, September 17 service with an AI-generated sermon, they received a one-star review on Google that incorrectly stated that Violet Crown was an all-AI church.

"I guess their assumption is we'll always do this. And we absolutely will not."

So why do it at all?

Cooper says that he has been reading about AI and that his congregation includes many software developers with whom he has been discussing the technology. Because of the inevitability of AI, he felt it important that the church address it because of misconceptions and fear about machine learning. You know, like the robot-created rapture via Skynet in Terminator 2.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am surprised that an AI religion has not surfaced yet. I totally predict this will happen in the near future if not already and we just have not heard about it yet.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I am surprised that an AI religion has not surfaced yet. I totally predict this will happen in the near future if not already and we just have not heard about it yet.
There was a couple like ten years but I think they just said they were waiting for the AI they should worship to get made or something. I don't think they were ever significant religions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.