Undead Research RPG

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Well, here I am; with a crazy idea that's bound to fail. And before you go off thinking 'This is just another RPG that's bound to fail...' stop and think. Is this really another RPG that's going to fail, or is it an RPG that's going to get some work put into it, and then fail? Anyway, here's the point:

Basic Info
The Undead Research RPG, for lack of a better name, is a kind of RPG. Except that it's a little different. I know that everyone always says 'This RPG is so different than the rest!' But the REAL difference with this one is that it's being made by someone who isn't a noob to the World Editor. Once again, back to the point.
In this RPG, you are a new recruit to a hidden research facility for the Scourge. The Lich King has sent you to the research facility because you have extreme potential to think of new ideas and help create units, buildings, and abilities that will aid the Scourge greatly. You start off as a Recruit, but as you complete quests for the various research sections, you will increase in rank (level), and you just might become the head of the research facility.

Sections
Currently, there are as many sections as there are (10) within the facility:
~Spellcasters
~Ranged
~Melee
~Flying
~Shades
~Heroes
~Acolytes
~Storehouse Complex
~Tombs of Relics
~Spells, Tomes, Lore, Books, etc.

Each section has its own special quests which you can complete. As you continue to complete quests, you earn more experience in the section's field. If you have enough experience in a certain field, you will be able to learn a new skill that pertains to the field. What this means is that instead of just leveling up your hero on a direct, linear path; you can customize it, within limits.

Spellcasters
Stating the obvious here: this sections has to do with spellcasters.
~Units: Necromancer, Banshee
~Building: Temple of the Damned
~Guard-Type: Lich
!Screenshot!
Ranged
This section deals with anything that is ranged, but not a spellcaster.
~Units: Meat Wagon, Crypt Fiend, Obsidian Statue
~Buildings: Crypt, Slaughterhouse
~Guard-Type: Crypt Lord
I need a question answered: should the Obsidian Statue go in this section or in the Spellcasters section?
!Screenshot!
Melee
Any melee units and research is located here.
~Units: Abomination, Ghoul
~Buildings: Slaughterhouse, Crypt
~Guard-Type: Death Knight
!Screenshot!
Flying
The flying units of the Scourge abide here.
~Units: Frost Wyrm, Gargoyle, Destroyer
~Buildings: Boneyard, Gargoyle Spire*
*The Gargoyle Spire is a hidden model, NOT an import.
!Screenshot!
Shades
The Shades get their own section, mostly because they don't belong anywhere else.
~Unit: Shade
~Building: Sacrificial Pit
~Guard-Type: Dreadlord
!Screenshot!
Heroes
The research for the heroes takes place here. It doesn't look any different from the other sections (except the units and buildings) just because they're heroes. They aren't that special.
~Units: Death Knight, Lich, Dreadlord, Crypt Lord
~Building: Altar of Darkness
~Guard-Type: They are guards...lol
!Screenshot!
Acolytes
The Acolytes live (yes, they are alive :eek::eek::eek:) here. And they aren't happy about it. Also, the Haunted Gold Mines are here so as to economize (lol).
~Unit: Acolyte
~Buildings: Necropolis, Halls of the Dead, Haunted Gold Mine
!Screenshot!
Storehouse Complex
No, there is no research taking place here. It's just a huge complex of storage houses (hence the name).
~Units: N/A
~Buildings: Undead Storehouse
~Guard-Type: Abomination (not a hero guard?)
!Screenshot!
Tombs of Relics
There are no units being researched here; just items. Have fun, as this is where you will be buying, selling, and creating new items!
~Building: Just guess. I dare you.
~Guard-Type: Lich/Skeleton Warrior (they guard the gate)
!Screenshot!
Spells, Tomes, Lore, Books, etc.
This is the official library of the Scourge. It's kind of like the Library of Congress (the Thomas Jefferson Building), just a hell of a lot more deathly (and I'm not just talking about the books!). You cannot enter this area without a special pass.
~Buildings: None, yet :eek:
~Guard-Type: Lich/Necromancer (The only Undead who can read!)
!Screenshot!
I need some building ideas for this area. Support the cause!

Quests
Several quests that you can get will require you to venture out into the unsafe world and collect data. To do this, you must travel to the center of the research facility; which is where the teleporter is. Once you stand on the teleporter, you are prompted to select your destination. At first, you can only travel to a few destinations, but as you gain more experience with the various sections, you will unlock new areas to which you can travel.

Buildings
Another aspect of this game is that you will be able to enter the major centers of research for each section. At each section's headquarters, there is a large Black Citadel, which is where the majority of the section's research is conducted. It is also where you will receive most of your quests. If you approach the Citadel, you can enter it. Inside each Citadel are large areas of research; which you could not see from the outside. This aspect which this feature adds to the game is that instead of just wandering around the main map and completely different areas, you can enter the main structures of the main map and explore them.

Paths
Every good research facility needs paths! Right now, I have one path-style for you right now. Feel free to design and suggest your own; you will get credit, but you must include the models and have the tiles (or whatever you use) labeled somehow :D
!Screenshot!

Summary of New Innovations
~Limited hero-customization
~The ability to enter and exit major buildings
~An original idea for the basis of the map
~Different sections within the main faction
~More to come as time progresses

Closing
This map is still in the major development stage. I'm not directly asking for help, nor do I need it at this point; but if you would like to submit an idea, as it were, to me, I would appreciate it. Should your idea be incorporated into my map(s), I would give you credit. Although still in heavy development, I have some screenshots that were taken in the World Editor.

All comments and criticisms are appreciated.

linamus

I r bak!
Reaction score
Yes, this realy fiels like different rpg expecialy storyline/gameplay. Uhm as I readed there should be much quest, hard job, but possible, so keep up with good job. Btw, couse of storyline, this really doesnt feel like rpg, but players will get interested
So far I am giving your project 8/10
(keep avoiding original odd undead buildings, they are too familiar, use demon gates + statues + nerubian things for better effect)

Evoroth

Reaction score
This game got me really interested. Don't disappoint me now :)

However, what's the actual goal of the game?

Knight7770

Reaction score
(keep avoiding original odd undead buildings, they are too familiar, use demon gates + statues + nerubian things for better effect)
Demon gates? That doesn't make much sense, because the Scourge and the demons are enemies.
I'm already using one hidden Undead building (the gargoyle building); if you know of any more, or if you know of a good custom model, please link it here ;)
Btw, couse of storyline, this really doesnt feel like rpg, but players will get interested
Well, you aren't confined to one place. The teleporter will be available to you at any time, so you really can just go anywhere you want and level (perhaps unlock a secret level?) Any suggestions are appreciated.
However, what's the actual goal of the game?
Well, it's not a very exciting goal, but you're trying to become the head of the research facility. I'm not sure what I'll do once you become the head...I ran out of ideas for that part.

Thanks for the comments :D Keep them coming ;)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol knight, i wonder what happened to Nathan.

anyways, this seems cool. but, um... is there any fighting involved? :D

Knight7770

Reaction score
Of course :D When you go into the sub-areas from the teleporter, you will most likely encounter hostile creeps. Also, in the Black Citadels, an experiment might to wrong, and you will have to fight it :eek:

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
quests could revolve around problems taking place outside the world of the research facility, and your job inside the facility to rectify these problems.

For an example, a basic quest could be called something like "weaker then a wisp" and revolve around lazy ghouls.

You will be required to concoct a potion to make the ghouls more active, and the ingredients might be nightspeed root and deathhollow mushrooms. As the researcher you must go out and collect a total of 4 of either of this items, take them back to your cauldron (a structure with a hero inventory) put this combination of night root and death mushrooms into its slots, and use a combine ability to concoct the potion. Depending on the ratio of root:mushroom you will get different potions forged. you then have to test each one on a ghoul and see if it increases its speed. Once you have the right combination you take the correct potion and give it to the head of dept. to complete your quest.

Knight7770

Reaction score
quests could revolve around problems taking place outside the world of the research facility, and your job inside the facility to rectify these problems.

For an example, a basic quest could be called something like "weaker then a wisp" and revolve around lazy ghouls.

You will be required to concoct a potion to make the ghouls more active, and the ingredients might be nightspeed root and deathhollow mushrooms. As the researcher you must go out and collect a total of 4 of either of this items, take them back to your cauldron (a structure with a hero inventory) put this combination of night root and death mushrooms into its slots, and use a combine ability to concoct the potion. Depending on the ratio of root:mushroom you will get different potions forged. you then have to test each one on a ghoul and see if it increases its speed. Once you have the right combination you take the correct potion and give it to the head of dept. to complete your quest.
That's a really good idea. I think I'll use it :D

New screenshots have replaced the old ones in the first post.

Squishy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sounds like a really cool map idea :D. I'd definitely play it if/when you finish it.

Knight7770

Reaction score
Sounds like a really cool map idea :D. I'd definitely play it if/when you finish it.
Thanks. I plan on finishing it, but I don't think that I'll get much work done this week or next week. I'm still going to work on it, though.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool idea, can't wait to see something. Don't really understand the basic concept but that doesn't matter, does it?

But the REAL difference with this one is that it's being made by someone who isn't a noob to the World Editor
Lol, are you saying that all other RPG maps are made by inexperienced users? *shakes fist*

Knight7770

Reaction score
Lol, are you saying that all other RPG maps are made by inexperienced users? *shakes fist*
No, I just meant that since most of these RPG threads are posted with no map in them (like mine), and since most of those types of threads are created by inexperienced users, I figured that I should point out that I am not one of those users.

I was playing around with the in-game skins to try to make some units that don't look like they come with the game, and this is one of the results (see the attached screenshot). Try to guess which unit it is and which unit's skin it's using :p

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_031308_153120_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_031308_153120_01.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 234

Knight7770

Reaction score
Bump. I am working on the map (and I'm not giving up) :D

Knight7770

Reaction score
It is the skeleton mage, but it's not Arthas' skin. Here's a hint: it has claws ;)

I still need your feedback and comments (although there isn't much to comment about). I'm also running dry on quest ideas, which I need a lot of. Thanks for your responses, in advance :D

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't really know what's been going on from Page one bottom half to page two but for some quest ideas:

Abomination Gone Wild! - you find a crazy skeleton scientist who's abomination inventions have gone wild and crazy. When you accept it, a cave will open and when you go in, you are teleported to a... cave. Then, abominations will walk around randomly and you have to tame them with only 2 skills: Tame - channeled ability, drains abomination mana per second and when it loses all mana, it becomes "tamed"; and Hide - become invisible and unable to mvoe (Shadowmeld). Once all of them are tamed, the reward - you get to keep one for your team or whatever it is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.