Updating drivers..

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
Hello.
I don't actually know that much about computers, especially in the hardware parts, but I decided to update our severely updated drivers myself...
So far I'm updating my processor now ( AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+ ) and I found an update here although I'm not sure about the update because, if I heard correctly, installing the wrong update would severely damage my computer.
So, my question: Is it the correct update?
TIA :)

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Um. You don't have to update CPU drivers o_o'

Mobo drivers, GPU drivers, and any other PCI drivers are about it.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
You're quite wrong, there are drivers for the CPU. Look into you're device manager, and you will clearly see a section that is expandable called processors.

However, you are right that there is no need to update CPU drivers, as windows almost always ( i have not heard a case where windows did not) recognizes the CPU drivers and installs them automatically. What you are getting with the new driver is the ability to overclock the processor by not going to bios and adjusting the jumpers, but as XeNim said
I don't actually know that much about computers, especially in the hardware parts
he probably should not attempt to undertake such a task.

In conclusion, the most required drivers to update are you're PCI or AGP slots (GPU, etc), and the motherboard if any. Usually you would add sound card to this list, but most motherboards come with sound cards on them so installing the motherboard driver installs the soundcard as well ^^

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You're right that there exist a type of "driver" for CPU's, but these "drivers" aren't the same in the traditional sense. They simply allow you (the end user) to alter CPU settings (usually easier than before). Most CPU drivers simply enhance certain aspects and how it interfaces with the OS.

There is no need to update CPU drivers.

You only ever need to do so if there's an incompatibility issue between the CPU and your OS (newly released OS's).

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Yes, i was just pointing out that there are drivers for the CPU, but as you and I said there is no need to install them unless you want the overclocking settings (or underclocking settings) changed inside of you're operating system, instead of the bios.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.