US News Urban Experiment sets thousands of Chalk Wielding Citizens loose on city

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
GRAND RAPIDS -- Downtown flooded Saturday without a drop of rain or a dam bursting. Instead, sidewalks were awash with color as thousands of children, college students, adults and senior citizens descended on a sunny, warm central city for the first-ever Grand Rapids Chalk Flood, a free event organized by 20-year-old Rob Bliss.

"I'm really happy. It's such a beautiful day, easily the best day in all of April," said Bliss, as artists of all shapes, sizes, ages and colors were spilling over from Rosa Parks Circle on to sidewalks throughout downtown.

Dozens of boxes of thick, pastel sidewalk chalk sticks were being cracked open, the contents, purchased with private donor funds, distributed free to all who came. By day's end much of the stock of 30,000 sticks had been worn down to tiny chips and nubs.

The result was several downtown blocks decorated with what may be the largest single-medium instant art display this city has ever seen -- at times beautiful, sometimes hilarious, always colorful.

Read more here.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
What was with the picture of the gay guys I got? That had nothing to do with chalk at all.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Awesome, that kind of reminds me of the sixties with all the hippies and colors:p

Mer_de_Noms

Certified Badfish
Reaction score
That's about 20 minutes away from where I live :p

It's always neat though. I'm sad I missed it this year

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
If the weather there was anything like the weather here, that's already washed away from yesterday's storm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.