Varine Needs Help With Cameras....

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Mmkays, I'm making the attack spell for the artillery and long-ranged silos in the battlefield map, and I need to make them do something I lack understanding in:

When the unit uses the spell, I want to put the camera directly overhead the center of the city area, looking straight down to replicate the feel of using a satellite for targeting, so that the player controlling the vehicle can move around and place where to fire at, and also be able to zoom the camera in and out a little bit. I want them to remain in that camera view until they choose to exit the combat mode and return to the normal view.

I can get the last part to work because that's not too hard to tell it to just run the normal camera triggers. But the first part I have issues with, as I can't get the overhead camera to stay in the position it should be. Whenever I move it, it tilts back down into the standard angle.

Anyone know a way I can do this? Or was my description insufficient/useless?

Shadows

Reaction score
If it were me, I would highly suggest just createing a unit to move around for you and act as a target, (likely a flying unit). Just lock the camera onto that spcific unit then use it's location for your attacks.

As for zooming in and out, just change the current camera bounds by useing something like a keyboard event (say, Up arrow and down arrow).

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Well, people can tilt it down using the delete key... so you can also do this by what Shadows said, create a unit, and try to find a unit with a model of a crosshair or... a nuke sign xD, maybe you can make it, basing it off as a skin on circle of power. anyway, you can lock the camera on the created unit, and about the zooming, use triggers, like make the unit have a skill (Zoom In, Zoom Out, Nuke) Those three skills are enough I guess ;), good luck varine.

Off Topic: Why did you leave Clan AotV, I already made dedications inside my map (Cinematics, Units, Buildings) for Clan AotV, well if you won't make it, try helping me at least, you shouldn't have make legitxerkmh the Clan Chieftain before, because he ruined it and made it a Ladder Clan instead of a Map Making Clan, and I saw you joined some other clan. Oh yeah, +Rep xD

Varine

Reaction score
Off Topic: Why did you leave Clan AotV, I already made dedications inside my map (Cinematics, Units, Buildings) for Clan AotV, well if you won't make it, try helping me at least, you shouldn't have make legitxerkmh the Clan Chieftain before, because he ruined it and made it a Ladder Clan instead of a Map Making Clan, and I saw you joined some other clan. Oh yeah, +Rep xD

Yeah Legit was an idiot. Me and GFH made it get disbanded, but I then I made KvA instead, and then gave it someone else when I went to Afghanistan, then when my recall request was accepted I remade AotV. So it's back again.

Would it work to make a dummy ability that does nothing, then have a trigger detect it and change the camera, then just lock it at an angle and height, and give the unit the fire abilities for it only when that trigger is activated, and then when he closes it have them shut off again?

Or would it work better to make the ability morph the unit into the firing artillery, and then do the camera thing as well?

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Well, just make the unit the thing itself, the use a rocket model (A Real looking model, I found one that the hive before), then create the spells: Zoom In, Zoom Out, Nuke, Cancel (If you wan't to cancel the targeting and go back to normal view)

Would it work to make a dummy ability that does nothing, then have a trigger detect it and change the camera, then just lock it at an angle and height, and give the unit the fire abilities for it only when that trigger is activated, and then when he closes it have them shut off again?

^ That would be better, because you can trigger it easier, since you can Skin, try skinning circle of power, and making it a Nuke Sign, or a crosshair :D

Off Topic:

Is GFH still in the clan? Lolz I really miss his bot xD

Varine

Reaction score
Well, just make the unit the thing itself, the use a rocket model (A Real looking model, I found one that the hive before), then create the spells: Zoom In, Zoom Out, Nuke, Cancel (If you wan't to cancel the targeting and go back to normal view)

^ That would be better, because you can trigger it easier, since you can Skin, try skinning circle of power, and making it a Nuke Sign, or a crosshair :D

Off Topic:

Is GFH still in the clan? Lolz I really miss his bot xD

Well the entire attack system will be based off triggers. Waaaagh's making a system... or he was, I won't speak for him and he may have dropped out and not informed me. Sounds like something I would do.... Anyway, the artillery fire itself will be done via the triggers, I just need to find a way to do the camera, preferably without the use of a bunch of dummy units because I want to reduce the units being projected and processed at once, as the weapon system will probably be requiring a lot of processing to work properly without a bunch of lag.

And no, GFH has not been in the clan since it was last disbanded. I've not really even talked to him of recent, so as to whether he will be joining or not is up in the air.

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Oh I see... so you've got a partner ^_^

Off Topic: Anyway, so when I get on, probably this wednesday (It's my goddamn summer and I can't wait xD!) add me to the clan, I've got a large project, which is almost done, thanks to my good friends on battle net (So long, I've been their friend for a year) anyway... so I wish you luck in your map, maybe you could beta test my map someday :D

Varine

Reaction score
Umm yeah. If I'm not on, whisper Noahssite to see if he's on.

Okay I got it working like it should be, save for tilting it so that it looks directly down. Working on that one still...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.