Other WarBall

Chjoodge

Reaction score
WarBall - The Ultimate Ballgame!

WarBall is an original 3v3 team match. Two teams of up to three players try to win round after round by delivering the ball behind the opposing team's barricades. First team achieving the goal limit wins the match.

Features

Eight heroes with different styles of play. Each hero is suited to an absolutely different style of play. There's everything, from the fast and fragile goal runners like Scout and Ranger, through defending stunners like Druid and Tauren Elder to supports like Priest with his buffs and debuffs.

A game of wits. WarBall isn't really about the APM, but much rather about outsmarting your enemy. Have you got what it takes?

No mana. Meaning, also - no more being out of mana! All that is important now are the ability cooldowns. Mana potions are replaced by potions resetting ability cooldowns.

Balanced item system. Not every hero is eligible to use every item, so don't be afraid of a nuker in plates any longer. Moreover, each hero can use only one item of the given type at any moment, so no one can have two armors or two pairs of boots. This brings a lot of balance to the game.

Tricky items. What your hero setup lacks by itself, you can catch up by a clever choice of items.

Tutorial

If you run the game in single player, you can check out a very comfortable cinematics tutorial that takes you through all the game rules.

Experiment Mode

...or, the same way, you can run the Experiment Mode to check out all the heroes, abilities, items and so on.

Gallery

Battle over the middle ball spawn spot, where Tribal Chanter rules with his Totem of Stormwrath.

A fray on the east ball spawn spot - the orange Priest is going to pwn this one with his Vortices draining the life of the enemy for mana used to heal the allied grunts.

A red Shifter is carrying the ball and aims for the blue barricade!

A blue Druid is passing the ball to the allied purple Scout, who's gonna go for a swift ball run.

Scores!

Download
This is still considered a beta, since it still needs some balancing and polishing, but other than for few details, this is ready to be the sharp version.

WarBall Download.

Alternative download from EpicWar.

Let me know what you think! Either in here, or on the WarBall Forums.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
Yes, it is. I am not going to release the map unprotected. You can still play it perfectly fine, though.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
okay I just wanted to opened it directly and play

Im gonna try it now

a little question, do you have in mind changing those heroes or are they going to be like they are in the beta??

Chjoodge

Reaction score
But... It could need a shop for heroes to make the battle more intense, and different races so the units isn’t all the same
I am positive about adding an item shop. It is one of the things that will almost surely appear in future versions.

An alternative to buying the items for gold is that some 'item buy tokens' will spawn along with the common item spawns, in the phase before the ball spawns. These tokens would then be used to buy items in the shop.

Different unit races is a nice idea.

a little question, do you have in mind changing those heroes or are they going to be like they are in the beta??
Well, the heroes are as they are :) This is a beta version in a sense that I am going to collect some feedback on the current version to see what should be worked on. If there will be feedback about heroes needing a rework, I will rework them. Personally, I like them as they are.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
B - U - M - P

Please note that although the game is a team match, it has got a tutorial and the Experiment Mode that you can easily run in a single player custom game.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
Well, I guess you're right - the AI would really be useful. I'll go for it.

In the meantime, I am still open to any opinions! You've got an unique chance to choose which way the game will develop further :)

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
A very nice concept idea. I like it.

But, I reckon it's far from completion:

You should work more on the terrain, it's too dull at present. I mean, more doodads and variety, a little bit less symmetry.

Also, you should implement more custom triggered spells. The current ones are just normal Blizzard spells with different description and icons.

Moreover, I agree with Chjoodge, you should create an AI.

In addition, the maps file size is quite large, what's up with that?

On the positive side, I really liked the option of viewing the tutorial (however, it has a few typos, double check it).

In conclusion, you should add many more snippets, which enhance the game play, e.g new spells, items, places to ambush enemy heroes, maybe even a few AI controlled towers guarding the goal entrance. The possibilities are endless

It gets a thumbs up Pandaren from me!

Andrewgosu

panda_1.jpg

P.S

You should add screenshots to attract more attention.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
Andrewgosu: Thanks for the feedback, I'm taking all these into consideration. Be sure that many more snippets are going to be added into later versions - right now I just wanted to test the simple, core idea.

I've added some screenshots to the op and also uploaded an updated version of the map with some minor changes, mostly bug corrections. Versions can be publicly tracked here.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
Aaaaaaand here we go with a new major release :)

First and foremost, I implemented an AI. The AI can drive as many player slots as you want it to and it can cooperate with user-controlled players. The AI uses no cheats at all, so if it beats you, don't blame me! :p

But way many more changes were made - for example, some boring abilities were replaced by schweeter ones, many abilities got improved or at least balanced.

And megadozens of minor things - improved console commands, added sounds, fixed bugs, changed hero names, added ball reset mechanism for balls being lost for too long, added hero glows, blah blah blah - don't read this, go play the game!

The current version is attached to the op. This is turning out to be quite fun, so please let me know of what you think about it! Any kind of feedback is welcome, constructive feedback is +repped :)

Chjoodge

Reaction score
B - U - M - P.

Looking for feedback! There's a cinematic tutorial and an AI to play with and against, so it's as comfortable as it can possibly get :)

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
I'll down load it and give it a go, it looks interesting. :)

**EDIT**

SOZ FOR THE DOUBLE POST - this post didnt come up on my comp so i re-did another one. But yer for what i had in this post just read the next one. sorry once again.

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
The overall theme and concept of this game is very original and creative. but there is still a few things that need to be done to make it a great game.

such as:

- So far the terrain is pretty bland and dull, i can see there has been a bit of work done to it, but it is such a large open space which can sometimes be difficult to fill up. Maybe try addin ga different tileset for each team, such as in AoS games, for good and evil etc. The layout of the map is good overall.

- The Scout hero in my opinion is too strong, the idea is good but the whole functionality of that hero in this type of game makes it imba really, considering that all other units in the map are ground units ( from what i've seen ) and many of them are melee, it makes it quite difficult to compete against this hero. I can see that to compensate for the flying her hp has been reduced but i think to make the game more balanced there should only be ground units or disadvantages for air units. Its quite easy for her to fly over terrain which ground units can not get around, therefore creating a problem.

- The idea of having no mana is good for this type of game but may i suggest making the abilities make 'Warball' orientated, by this i mean making them more original to the game. Its pretty easy to find a few skills on various sites which may be good in your game, and its pretty simple to just whip up a few easy spells that would suit your map much more than the ones now.

- Maybe have some type of neutral creeps or towers that can attack both teams guarding the drop off points, making it harder to just walk in and snatch it. With other creeps and towers there it means that both teams have to contest with one another and the neutrals to acheive victory.

So far the game is looking great, and just a few changes here and there and this game will be very interesting and fun to play. so far i give it a 7/10, keep going and it will be a 10/10 from me. :) + rep for such a creative and fun idea.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
I already received some feedback about the terrain needing to be improved and it it true it is a bit too dull, so this is surely something that will be worked on in the next version.

You're right that the Scout is way too imba - I am also aware of that and for now, I think this should work out when I rework the item system so that item tokens will spawn instead of items and the items will be bought from a shop. Access to items will be based on the hero type, so that the Scout will no longer be able to buy +Endurance armor. That will leave him with low amount of HP, as he is designed to, and I hope that should counter-balance his advantage of flying. Which I hope is by itself funny :)

The abilities are improving with every new version just in the sense you described - boring abilities are replaced by more ball-game oriented ones. Atm I am probably gonna let they be as they are for a while and let them face the merciless gameplay testing :)

Thanks for your feedback! Waiting for more to come.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
The op is updated with the 0.3.2 version:

Gameplay
========

- Heroes of the team that lost the round now receive a level-up the same
way that the team that won does.

Heroes: Tauren Elder
====================

- Ground Slam now lags less.

Terrain
=======

- The whole east lane is reworked into a different theme.

- Minor changes were made to the central lane.

- Some obstacles were added to the west and the east lanes.

Console
=======

- All console commands now start with a dot instead of a slash, so that
the commands now do not collide with the Battle.net chat commands.

Experiment Mode
===============

- Heroes that die in the Experiment Mode are now removed from the game,
so that they no longer show a hero icon in the upper left corner.

- Heroes leading the creep groups have now their experience gain disabled.

- The creep groups now contain less units to better match real game
situations.

Bug corrections
===============

- Fixed a bug with Ripple sometimes slowing units multiple times.

- The Windbind tooltip is now shown correctly.

- Tooltips of the Tome of Endurance and the Tome of Strength were corrected.

Map file
========

- Map description was reworded.

Let me know what you think of the new terrain and about the losing team receiving the level-up the same way that the winning team does.

And of course I am also interested in feedback of those of you that haven't played any earlier versions.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
Version 0.4 is out, bringing many new improvements!

Item system was reworked. Now every hero can have only one armor, one weapon, one pair of bracers, one pair of boots and one amulet. Moreover, some items are now restricted just to some hero classes. But more importantly, items can now be bought!

To take a quick peek at the new item system, enlarge this screenshot and follow with the 'Next' link at the top of the page:

There are more new screenshots in the gallery:

And as those of you who clicked some of the above links discovered, WarBall now has its own sexy site :)

How tu use - once again instructions about how the game can be run:

• Tutorial - Run the game as a single-player game with you as the red player.
  • Experiment Mode - Again, run the game as a single-player game with you as the red player.
  • Match - Pretty straightforward. You can assign control of anyone to the AI.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.