WC3 Editor Contest 2013

What kind of map making contest would you like to participate in?

• Hero AI contest (code a hero AI and let it battle the AI's of other users)

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • RTS AI contest (code an AI for an RTS-style custom race and let it battle the AI's of other users)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Terraining Contest (Make a nice looking terrain, it doesnt need to be playable)

• Playable Terrain Contest (Make a nice looking terrain which needs to be part of an actual map!)

• Spell Contest (Make an awesome custom ability)

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Hero Contest (Make an awesome melee tavern map hero with 4 abilities)

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
when you cast wind walk after the storm bolt was already thrown it will hit you since wind walk has a casting time itself. Thats the tricky thing. You have to start casting as soon as the mountain king starts moving. Its really hard to do it manually.
But of course, we could simply change the rules.
After all, nothing is set in stone yet.

Xialian

Reaction score
Yeah, but there's conditions for that as well, so that would not be totally unfair or impossible. Say the MK is at 150 range from the Blademaster. He should not be able to dodge it. At 350 range, maybe. Give it a 50% hit chance or something like that (Random number between 1 or 2, maybe). At max range (600, I think), always dodge it. Gawd, you post fast.

Edit: True, true. I'm not that good at stuff like that, but I will surely give it a go, when it starts!

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
when you cast wind walk after the storm bolt was already thrown it will hit you since wind walk has a casting time itself. Thats the tricky thing. You have to start casting as soon as the mountain king starts moving. Its really hard to do it manually.
But of course, we could simply change the rules.
After all, nothing is set in stone yet.

I wish I could undo my votes for AI.
For AI I'd rather some subsystem like an eco-system, or Strilancs christmas bot map.
But seriously, you pick an OP hero, and all you have to do is tell it to mash the best abilities and use fountains if it locates any while trying to find the enemy.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that simple. Watch the replays from the last contest. There are a good few heroes which are really great for this contest.

Just ask yourself, what is better, the Demon Hunter (manaburn, evade, metamorph), the Warden (blink, Poison Thing, Revenge) or the Blade Master (Wind Walk, Mirror Image, Crit).

Its not that easy, they all are great picks, and there is always a certain random element because you dont really know what the enemy AI is going to do.
Could be an archmage camping the mana fountain and spamming elementals. Maybe running away from you until it gets elementals on lvl 3 before doing so.

Xialian

Reaction score
Maybe. If it's an arena-style map ("like" Howling Abyss in LoL for example), it's very easy to just make it mash stuff.
If I know that the Demon Hunter has a 9 second cooldown on Mana Burn (may not be true), I can make a periodic trigger casting Mana Burn on a target enemy go off every 9.01 seconds every time he enters combat, then that would be stupidly broken.
And if he gets hurt, just go back to fountain, and if that fails, turn around with Mana Burn and Metamorphosis.

This may be a bad example, but I hope you get where I'm going at.

Edit: And there we go again. I'm not getting ninjae'd, I'm getting outrun by Accname posts explaining stuff I'm asking about.

EDITEDIT: Will we get a test map to make position stuff in? (I'm VERY new to this kind of stuff) Staying at the fountain will not work, unless that location is specified somehow.

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Maybe. If it's an arena-style map ("like" Howling Abyss in LoL for example), it's very easy to just make it mash stuff.
If I know that the Demon Hunter has a 9 second cooldown on Mana Burn (may not be true), I can make a periodic trigger casting Mana Burn on a target enemy go off every 9.01 seconds every time he enters combat, then that would be stupidly broken.
And if he gets hurt, just go back to fountain, and if that fails, turn around with Mana Burn and Metamorphosis.

This may be a bad example, but I hope you get where I'm going at.

Edit: And there we go again. I'm not getting ninjae'd, I'm getting outrun by Accname posts explaining stuff I'm asking about.

EDITEDIT: Will we get a test map to make position stuff in? (I'm VERY new to this kind of stuff) Staying at the fountain will not work, unless that location is specified somehow.

You scout for fountain, make a note of the location in some variable.
Get the enemy to follow you, you stand just at the edge of the fountain range and perma heal while killing the enemy. Hoping they do not run for the fountain :D

Xialian

Reaction score
Can you link me some basic stuff for these tournament thingies? I'm still not getting it, and I will go for a while, as it is very late.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, we dont have to do this contest exactly the same way as it was last time.
We could make the people pick the abilities they prefer for example. You have to take one of the heroes from the standard melee game, but you can pick which abilities it will get.

Just a suggestion.
Besides, its not totally decided yet what kind of contest we do.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
I think the AI should be able to cheat using the basic principles. I am quite fond of the idea as I have made a basic hero AI a long time ago and that was abit of fun.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the AI hero contest got the most votes right now; lets wait 2 more days or so and see what happens.

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
I have a question, for the second option
"RTS AI contest (code an AI for an RTS-style custom race and let it battle the AI's of other users)"
Does that mean we have to create a full custom race? Like all the units, buildings, heroes?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say we give a premade custom race. Something simple.
Like 4 buildings and 4 unit types.
Everybody gets the same race and has to program only the AI.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Is there a chance i could win this = no.
Do i still want in on this = yes.

Voted for spells, although i think the biggest challenge there would be to come up with something new.

On an unrelated note: @The Helper, the innuendo of your avatar... subtle :)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
This map could be used as a template for the hero AI contest if we decide to have one.
Just a suggestion.

Attachments

• Hero AI Contest Template.w3x
    46.2 KB · Views: 349
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.