WE fails (trigger not working)

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
If anyone can find an explanation other than "WE fails" I will be grateful.

Trigger:
  • Weak Constitution
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Weak Constitution) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: SDGSGSSGSDGSDSDGSD
      • Set WeakConstitution2 = (WeakConstitution2 + 1)
      • Set WeakConstitution[WeakConstitution2] = (Triggering unit)
      • Trigger - Turn on Weak Constitution 2 <gen>

^^That trigger works fine, no problems at all.
v vThat trigger doesn't work at all.

Trigger:
  • Puppet Master
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Puppet Master) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: SDGSGSSGSDGSDSDGSD
      • Set PuppetMaster2 = (PuppetMaster2 + 1)
      • Set PuppetMaster[PuppetMaster2] = (Triggering unit)
      • Trigger - Turn on Puppet Master 2 <gen>

The game display is simply to tell me that the trigger is running. Big obnoxious letters catch my attention.

The item being acquired is a dummy item; everything on the two items is the same except for the tooltip. In a separate trigger, the items are removed after they are acquired. I thought this might be the problem; but if it was, 1 of the trigger wouldn't still work.

I thought, "hmm, maybe a buggy item ID or something" and i deleted and remade the item and trigger; and it still didnt work. Sadly, I have spent damn near 2 hours wondering why this is failing. Anyone got an idea?

***edit*** Just for the hell of it, i swapped the item required in the not working trigger to the item in the working trigger, and it doesn't work. Simply put, this trigger is not running. The only question viable to be asked is, "Is it turned on?" yes, yes it is. "Okay, go ahead and check, make sure there is a little check box in the 'enabled' box." Yes, yes there is. "Okay, and next to that is a little box that says, 'Initially on' you see it?" yes, yes I do. "And is that box also checked?" Why yes, yes it is.

To clarify, I have 2 identical triggers set up, but only 1 of them works. *boggle*

meOme

Reaction score
You should change the conditions to "Item type of (Item being manipulated) equal to ...". As it is now, it will trigger for other items too as long as you have one of these items in your inventory.

But I don't know if that will solve your problem, maybe it will.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Tried, and failed.

Trigger:
  • Weak Constitution
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Weak Constitution) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: OMFG WTF WHY WONT T...

Still works (unless I make copy/paste the trigger, and disable the current one)

Trigger:
  • Puppet Master
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Weak Constitution
    • Actions

That doesnt work; although it should.

Is there a max number of characters a map can have? or triggers? or lines of triggers? or anything abstract like that?

meOme

Reaction score
Is there a max number of characters a map can have? or triggers? or lines of triggers? or anything abstract like that?
I don't think so... This is really strange.

Do you have other triggers that trigger when an item is acquired?

Durandal

Reaction score
Set WeakConstitution2 = (WeakConstitution2 + 1)
Set WeakConstitution[WeakConstitution2] = (Triggering unit)
Trigger - Turn on Weak Constitution 2 <gen>

What the hell is all of this for? Can you show me the triggers related to it? Maybe it has an effect on why it isn't working

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Show us the loops.
You should also have a debug message in there.

Carnerox

The one and only.
Reaction score
Have you tried this?
Trigger:
  • WC
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set UNIT = (Triggering unit)
        • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (UNIT has an item of type (YourItem)) Equal to (==) True
          • Then - Actions
            • Set INTEGER = (INTEGER + 1)
            • Trigger - Turn on WC2 &lt;gen&gt;
          • Else - Actions
            • Set INTEGER = INTEGER
            • Trigger - Turn off WC2 &lt;gen&gt;

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Wouldnt the above trigger make any unit who ever gets an item be set to that variable?

Nothing else involved in this plays any role. Why? because if it is:

Event: unit gets item
Condition: item is type....
Action: Display text...

I have done this, disabling the triggers run after these, just to test it.

Quite literally, the trigger works. I copy and paste the trigger, and disable the origional one. The new one will not work.

Assume the trigger attached to it has no affect, because it has no affect. There is no action in that uses it. It is simply world editor not working.

Literally, take away the origional situation, because i proved it is beyond that. the working trigger, above called "Weak Constitution" worked perfectly. I copy and paste the trigger, then I disable the origional one. the new one will not work. the trigger does not even get to the first action; that is, it is not running at all. the first trigger is to display text (to see if it is working) In the origional one, it workd. In the copied one, it doesn't. If i manually remake the trigger, it also doesnt work. same exact thing, will not work. I have remade the trigger multiple times. I have remade the item, and then remade the trigger, and it still didnt work. the trigger simply is not going off.

I read on another forum that if there are X number if triggers running at once, then they might simply not run. the people suggesting this had no uhh.. proof? but that is the only explination, because the trigger simply isnt running; it does not get to the first action.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
post map?

I read on another forum that if there are X number if triggers running at once, then they might simply not run. the people suggesting this had no uhh.. proof? but that is the only explination, because the trigger simply isnt running; it does not get to the first action.
never heard of that

i think its something else, its just not shown in the triggers provided

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
how is it possible for an exact copy not to work like the origional?

I am away from my WE for the weekend; but If anyone has time, i will allow them to look at the trigger in the map itself, and test it; because there is no reason at all for an identical trigger not to work. Saying "there might be a problem somewhere else" still isnt a reason why an exact copy of a trigger wouldnt run, when the non copy will run. there is no trigger in the map that has any conditions concerning this trigger.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Wow, okay, so I have proven that there is a limit to the number of triggers that can run at once.

Trigger:
  • Weak Constitution
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Weak Constitution
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn on Weak Constitution 2 &lt;gen&gt;
        • Else - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Puppet Master
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn on Weak Constitution 2 &lt;gen&gt;
        • Else - Actions

By combining the two triggers into a single trigger with two if/then/else statements, now they both work.

If it matters, I have 295 triggers, 310 regions, and 180 variables. When the trigger was failing to go off, was a point in the game when the most triggers were going off. (right after the last hero picks their last skill, and the game is essentially turned on) I guess I will simply have to try to merge more triggers together that go off at this time. I'm sure I could squeeze 2-3 together.

Just a question, is 295 triggers in 1 map a lot? I just copied the whole map as text into a word counter, and there are over 100 million letters. Im not sure if size matters at all, or if it simply the number of triggers being exicuted at once.... hmmmm....

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I have a suspicion it's less about how many triggers are running at once, and more about how much WC3 allows a map to do upon initialization - too many triggers and variables to initialize might take more operations than permitted. (For example, an easy way to mysteriously disable all triggers in a map is to create a Unit Group array variable, set to initialize all ~8190 indices.)

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
hmm, but this trigger isnt running on map int. though the variables are loaded on map int, they are still loaded, simply not changed. I can add more, and change them; and it still works. I simply cannot create that trigger and have it run. to test it, I made a handful of other random triggers, that all worked. however, if it is possible to make too many load on initilization; isn`t it equally as possible to have too many run at once? Because right when this item is purchesed, about 40-50 other triggers are run.

These are just hunches though; does anyone know of a way I would be able to test it and figure out if it is the above problem? (other than adding a handful of random triggers, because i tried that, and they all worked)

I gotta make sure I dont have this problem again >< Half a day of editing wasted on a custom skill that worked;but was remade a dozen times due to unknown blizzard restrictions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.