What are leaks?

KiwiClint

Reaction score
Okay, yeah, it may be a "noob" question or something, but...I really don't know what people are talking about when they mention leaks. I've been looking around the site a while, asking questions, and I've noticed a lot about preventing leaks, fixing leaks, leakproof triggers...What are you guys talking about? Are they really harmful to a game's quality? Do the original, blizzard-made WC3 maps have leaks, or did Blizzards editor not have to worry about them? I'm just curious, and, yes, I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but help is always appreciated. :D

Sickle

Reaction score
Blizzard maps leak, yes. Do melee maps leak? Possibly. Campaign maps definitely do.

A leak is (usually) an object lost in memory that can never be removed, so that memory can never be reused. A build-up of memory leaks can slow down a map. Campaign maps really do not suffer because they are not designed to be played for long periods of time. A roleplay map is an example of a map designed to be played for a long period of time and is thus susceptible to lag caused by memory leaks.

We have a wiki article on memory leaks, too.

avalya

Reaction score
EDIT: P.S. Leaks are evil. Purge them from your triggers.

Yeah, they're really evil. No, seriously.

And yeah, leaks are created when things in triggers are not removed or destroyed, such as a special effect, create a special effect and it will leak (if you don't destroy it), but if you remove the special effect by using 'Destroy Last Created Special Effect' then you remove the leak.

Finestdeath

Reaction score
To make it simple. Leaks are like your "faeces" and "poo" and "sh*t". Basically, your garbage. When you do something, theres tend to be garbage around. So its same in the world editor, when you trigger something, chances are, there will be leaks.

KiwiClint

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you...All very helpful. I am a little lazy though, and I have to ask...If I am making a single player campaign do I really have to make sure it is leak-proof? I understand if I'm, for example, making a multiplayer TD or RPG or something, but for a lot of short levels with only one player? Do I really need to worry about them? I understand I might be criticized for leaving the little leaks in, but...like I said, I am lazy.:rolleyes:

Finestdeath

Reaction score
You don't have to. Unless your campaign involves spells that can be spammed (which will then cause leaks, and then lags). Its up to you though. For me, I would practice the habit of clearing all the leaks, so that in the future if i'm making something bigger, I won't have much trouble identifying leaks and clearing them.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.