• Min Distance
  • Max Distance
  • Distance Cutoff

Thanks,
Regards!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
its for 3D sounds, i would not recommend to use them anyways. just uncheck the 3D Sound box and you wont need them.

meehael

Reaction score
I'd like some sounds to play only within a specific range, not across the whole map, so I think in this case I need to use 3D sound flag.

Can I make a sound to be played at a very low volume if the camera of the player is very far away from the source, and at the highest volume if the camera of the player is very near the source?

Thanks,
Regards!

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
3D sounds do that automatically, just use "play 3D sound at point" and experiment a bit with the volume.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i may be wrong (long ago since i used sounds in one of my maps ^^) but as far as I remember you can also play not 3D sounds attached to units, these sounds will only be hear able for players who see the actual unit.
correct me if i am wrong pls.

meehael

Reaction score
3D sounds do that automatically, just use "play 3D sound at point" and experiment a bit with the volume.

Yeah, and that's where Min Distance, Max Distance and Distance Cutoff come in, I believe. If somebody knows what these actually mean, I would appreaciate it. I've wasted enough time already playing with these sound properties, and I couldn't make any sense from it.

Thanks

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Well Max distance, I suppose, is the maximum distance from the source you can be and still hear the sound.
I am not 100% sure what Distance Cutoff does.
I always set my Minimum range to 600 on 3d sounds, otherwise it might sometimes appear like the sound isnt playing at all, when in relality it is just played at a very low volume.

Don't bother too much with these values, they are often fine left to default.

Since you are in the sound editor anyway, you can look at the different sounds that are already in the game, and how the values are there, and how they seem to affect ingame sound playback (that was how I found out why I couldn't hear my 3D sounds for example :p)

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Distance Cutoff is how far away the camera can scroll away from the sound source before it can no longer be heard, I believe. That way it seems to be getting softer and softer as you get closer and closer to this distance away from the source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.