what should i learn

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
i need an scripting language to learn ...
i have an win7 computer so i need to code in this

i know the base of "jass", pascal, actionscript2

so i need an language that you can make silly programs like [input 2 numbers output the sum of the inputted numbers] and after learning the basics to be able to make basic 2d games, application.

so i think an object oriented language should be good

and give me names/links to any programs that i may need

Thank You! `~RangerX~`

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think the easiest for making a simple 2d game would be java, since you can make it as an applet that runs inside of a web browser, it's OO and use eclipse to develop it

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Java if your interesting in Game Development, as it's better to learn C++ due it's popularity for writing games (and if you decide to pursue that as a career, you mauy have to relearn certain techniques so they work in C++)

If your interested in making basic Windows programs, I'd recommend Python however, as it's very easy to learn and incredibly powerful, and commonly used as a scripting language (you can even use it to make web-pages, just like PHP).

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Java if your interesting in Game Development, as it's better to learn C++ due it's popularity for writing games (and if you decide to pursue that as a career, you mauy have to relearn certain techniques so they work in C++)

Well, now that you have Android and iPhone / iPad, it might be a good idea to start thinking about developing games for them. So I'd recommend Java and Objective C.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I really think that developing games on a mobile platform should be done only by experienced programmers, and maybe even as a hobby only.
The reason I think that is because of hardware restrictions, limited API, and clumsy IDEs (I know some of you will disagree, but Eclipse is truly messy) can make it difficult to learn proper techniques used in game development.

In the hands of a professional, mobile games can be quite amazing, but in the hands of a novice, they can be truly terrible (look at 80% of the games on the App Store, for example).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.