Which mana regeneration way you like more?

Which mana regeneration way you like more?

• Potions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inspiration

• Potions and fountains

• Fountains and inspiration

• Total voters

johnnymra

Reaction score
I want to know your opinion about the ways heroes regenerate mana in RPG maps.

Single ways > those refer that you can regenerate mana only trough these ways and no other.
1)Classic - the normal regeneration based on the heroes intelligence, natural or from items.

2)Potions - using only and only potions to regenerate mana, therefore when you need mana you use potions.

3)Fountains - being able to regenerate mana only at fountains, therefore when you run out of mana you need to find a fountain.

4)Inspiration - (this idea came to me from Founders of the North) regenerate mana only when near another hero, each hero havin an aura for "inspiration" that regenerates mana to those nearby, but not to him, therefore being in need of companions to regenerate mana.

Combined ways > those refer you can use one form or another of regeneration.
5)Classic and potions

6)Classic and fountains

7)Classic and inspiration

8)Potions and fountains

9)Potions and inspiration

10)Fountains and inspiration

Please, if you would like, also post a comment when voting, so i could understand your opinions better. :) Also if you are interested to know why i made this poll: it's because i am making a RPG map in which i can't decide trough which way heroes should recharge mana... as i want them not to be able to recharge it to much... and sometimes run out of it.

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
I'm liking all 4 of them. However, to balance it, you'd have to lower the normal regenration. You can't really rely on other people when playing over Bnet, so inspiration should be set for high mana regen to encourage players. Fountains are a must in RPGs, have them at the start of dungeons or inside towns. And potions... well 99% of rpgs have them :p

johnnymra

Reaction score
This won't be a PvE map... so i won't have dungeons and so... but still i don't want to put all 4 of them... because it would ruin some parts of my game.

johnnymra

Reaction score
*bump*

It seems that in the present... the most voted is 'Classic and fountains'. If no changes will appear in the next days i think this is what i will use in my map, yet thank you all who voted and i hope more will vote :D.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Well, that's the classic method in RPGs, and it makes the most sense, so you should probably go with it. But I still like the Inspiration idea - it sounds great in PvP maps.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Yeah... my map combines RPG with PvP... as it's in the end just a PvP map in which 2 teams battle until all heroes from one team dies, but untill you fight with the other team... you have to evolve, level up, get items... and it's not like in AoS... to just battle creeps from 2 bases. It's by RPG things like quests, findings artifacts and solving riddles, etc. Also the 2 teams don't have specific bases... therefore it will be a greated fun to never know when you run into your enemies if you wonder everywhere. I will post the entire project in the Members' Projects section after i finish with my exams.

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Well, then why not include inspiration at minor points? Or you could give bonus regeneration when within range of allied heroes.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Well that is what inspiration means, increasing the regeneration while near allies (and if there is no natural regeneration than it just give some regeneration)... but if i include too many ways of regeneration... it would ruin a few parts of my map...
The teamwork isn't a problem because the game will be well balanced and if the teams will be X vs X (X means a number of players from 1 to 6) then instantly there will be need of teamwork to beat the other team, unless it's 1 vs 1.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Sincerely, i'm not a DotA player :D but i do know the map. Although i think the 'Classic and Fountains' is the most appropriate posibility for my map... and if most people like it... that is what i will use because making maps in my opinion isn't only about satisfying your own ideas but also giving players all over the world a new map they could like. (that is if you publish your maps)

KaerfNomekop

Reaction score
Why not include inspiration? Supports the idea of ganking, and the bonus doesn't have to be too high.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Well i taught about it... and i will also include some mana regeneration auras to one or 2 heroes, plus items that give such aura... therefore i think there isn't need of adding inspiration. I could tough... i will think more... after all that is the main purpose for which i posted this poll, to think about what to add and what not to, but with the help of thehelper's members.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Inspiration is a good idea, think perhaps a very low level effect of that idea.

Classic is nice, very simple and constructive. Helps the player to be capable and independant and not rely on their team to fight/heal etc.

Perhaps have a large amount of items that add regeneration?
That way the amount is of regeneration is boosted and there is no need for fountains or any region which heal's the players. This avoids players 'camping' at the 'healing zones'.

Potions are very common, if you make them over a long time (Like 10 or 20 seconds) then it is effective, asoon as you make instant potions that heal like 70% of the hero's life at a very cheap cost, then the game is ruined.
Maybe avoiding potions or making them unpurchasable. Like shops only offer items, and potions are only dropped on minion/creep/neutral kills.

Just a few comments and suggestions.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Thank you, but about the fountains... it's not about healing... it's about mana regeneration. I will not use healing fountains... all i will do, if i do, is put mana regenerating fountains. To heal you only be able to use different items like those which drop from animals, a few purchasable potions (well done, as you said with cooldown and time heal) and also by the heals which some heroes will have.

EDIT: oh by the way... there won't be 2 specific bases in this game... therefore there will be a lot of fountains like those around the map, but of course not near each other... and even if the players camp near them... it won't help them very much... they will still have cooldowns to their spells, not just manacost.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Ah ok, apologies. Drifted off abit, yeah sorry regeneration of hit points is just often under the same topic of mana regeneration so I thought I may aswel just add some thoughts.

But yeah mana regen is an interesting thing, there should always be base regen and then some way of enhancing that.
Potions for mana, hmm yeah unless they are over time and maybe dispelled on damage, they might be alittle unfair.

Also note that the classic base regen must be decent, so that players dont rely on needing the mana potions to cast.
The potions should aid them and allow them to burst and have more options in battle but not to allow them an overly large advantage.

Just make sure it's reasonable balanced and fair, and then it will work fine.

Don't recommend Fountains personally, but that's your decision.
Or as an idea to prevent them just sitting at the fountain, pehaps make it only regenerate mana/hit points if their are no nearby enemies. Or something to that idea.

Just suggestions :)

johnnymra

Reaction score
>Inflicted
The inspiration was something like what you said... as in standing near allies, not standing far from enemies... approximately the same.

Anyway... the thing is... i won't use fountains as in normal fountains... but something like "Rune Stones"... magical stones that will enhance ones mana regeneration when it stands nearby... but the players will not depend on them.

Also note that the classic base regen must be decent, so that players dont rely on needing the mana potions to cast.
The potions should aid them and allow them to burst and have more options in battle but not to allow them an overly large advantage.

Just make sure it's reasonable balanced and fair, and then it will work fine.

I don't want to be rude or something... but please try not to point out obvious things... unless you truly have the impression that someone doesn't know these basic ideas like balancing and such... try not to always point them out.

johnnymra

Reaction score
Just as a simple "add"... i would like to say that i observe few people have the courage to express their opinion, or have the brains to form an opinion... i don't want to offend anyone in particular but it's something that bothers me...
Over 200 views and only 10 votes? Why that big difference?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.