Why does everyone protect their maps (warcraft 3)?

N

nIMrOD888

I know the old "someone stole...." blah blah blah concept and if you were really wanting to claim your owner ship you would put lots of hidden stuff inside the map anyway...

Just it is so damn irritating when you download a map to play and its really good and fun to play except for a couple of little aspects that really really suck and there is nothing you can do to correct these problems because the bloody dev has protected the map.

I'd get more of a kick out of my creation knowing that people are playing it and enjoying it even if it is stolen. Its not like I'm ever going to meet any of these people anyway.

On another matter, I'm now working on my own version of Hero defence without all the things that makes just about every other version of this game type suck.

DBZ-123

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
People protect there maps because

They dont want tons of edited version of their map that may make there map less played

CaptDeath

Reaction score
its so you dont get gay version of the map claiming to be legit cause then you dont want to play that map
+ would you like if you had to download a dif fversion of the map every time you played?

N

nIMrOD888

People protect there maps because

They dont want tons of edited version of their map that may make there map less played

It is still essentially their map anyway, there are tonnes of great maps that have awesome potential but are extremely flawed in some aspects.... and its so god damn annoying for me that I cant just go and fix the flaws.

I'm quite happy for others to modify my work (though I don't yet have anything publicly released yet... hopefully soon).

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
This question is usually asked by someone who wanted to open a map to add something, or add cheats; as far as my knowledge goes.

But ill give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

Reasons:

Map stealing
Maps with cheats
Downloading maps tons of times
No one knowing which version is legit

The list goes on.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
My reasons are simple.

I spent months balancing and polishing, creating new versions, playing it with fans, responding to emails, creating a forum for people to go and suggest their ideas.

And one day, someone comes along and deprotects it, he sends me messages claiming how much better he has made things.

Meanwhile, i am receiving email after email about how people hate the new version, how its imbalanced, how the new features are broken.

Moral of the story: Odds are, the people who want to edit your map, arn't going to edit it for the greater good, they're going to edit it for their own selfish reasons.

If you want to edit someones map, you seek permission from the author. Show them respect for the amazing game they have made.

If you don't get permission, make your own map and do it better, Stop trying to steal other peoples hard work. :thup:

~end of rant~

nomadian

Reaction score
if you've got a map that is played then protecting is good as it doesn't spawn lots. If you have a map that isn't played then no harm in not protecting really, maybe someone will improve it so that it is playable.

Septimus

Reaction score
To make it easier to understand. Here is a few reason I could provide.

1) Prevent cheat version as have been mention by the other.
2) Preserve the right of the author, prevent other people from claiming the credit.
3) Keeping the origin title of the author. Enable everybody to know who is the real author was.

If a map was unprotected, it was kinda risky as it would create thousand of useless duplicate and soon nobody know the origin of it and where it came from.

For example would be green td, there is soo many version of it that I do not know who is the original author of the map was by now.

Take a example of your work, if it was stolen and been duplicate in several version. Try to said you are the original author, who would believe you even if you post several evidence of it?

CaptDeath

Reaction score
actually in true awnser to your question get bettter lol or more people or make your own map
cause its bad now but w/o protection the project would probably been forsaken
and 1000s of cheated versions

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Yeah, what Green TD has become is simply shameful and a mockery of the originals which are lost to time.

Massing anti-air and having skill was actually required.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Yeah, what Green TD has become is simply shameful and a mockery of the originals which are lost to time.

Massing anti-air and having skill was actually required.

i see skill as talent
and knowing which towers to build is not talent in my opinion
things like using abilities, micro, multi-tasking are things that require skill
(using abilities like nova, or holy light at certain times while fighting)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Well I see two sides of the coin here.

In General i agree with locking the maps as much as you can. Because people on battle net in general are too lazy to look it up on a site. and if its not locked. they will just play whats being hosted. Often a fake version of your map will ruin the rep of your map, and many will lose interest.
I had a map that i never quite finished and during its testing phase, it wasn't locked, and the people who joined all told me that the map was made by someone else. Someone had changed nothing except to say it was made by him. it bugged me a bit. (Except the fact, that if someone did that then my map must be pretty cool)

On The other hand.Opening the map up , as i nommaly do (until one of my official versions, are done.), can be useful for others to see the code or to mod. When making some of my maps i knew of maps that did the things i wanted to do, yet i couldn't open it to learn from it. But that's that.

Personally i don't mind When someone Mods my map, even without asking, but as long as they put its a mod, and make it clear (At Least clear that its a different game or a mod, even if they don't put my name in the credits.) I can see how they could expand or change my game to the point that its better. I don't even mind if hes becomes so much more popular that they don't want to play mine. I am all about the better game not the reputation.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
i had a idea what you could do is have a second copy of your map and that showing all your triggers-save/&/load or with changed values so it generates diff codes & w/o terrain
just a thought

Chewbalka

Reaction score
you like loap? i sure dont, i stopped enjoying at around the 50th version was made by some random person...

if all maps where unprotected editors would ruin the fairness of the game if its team vs team games, if its rpg they would make a new version, sorta like loap, almost ALL the versions are purly object editor edits to change name and model used...

it certainly can ruin a game, and expend the fun from it. its not entierly a matter of there name, most great games no one even knows who made.
i love rabbits vs sheep, i love footman frenzy, but have no clue whomade them, but im glad there protected.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.