Why old computers make cracking sound when they are busy with something?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Old computers, likely around 10 years old, can work in Windows 2000/NT and XP environments. They have this tedency to vibrate noise, or so called "busy crackling sounds". Google is more likely searching for sound cards or hard drive issues these days, so it's not making my day.

I'm just curious why when they are busy, they make these crackling noises? They sound like:

ckk krkk kak kckcka kakkc kckk...

Or something like that.

1. Where does it come from?
2. What makes them crack?
3. Is it from the motherboard? Or the memory? Hard drives are pretty quiet...
4. How come newer computers do not have these crackling busy sounds? What makes them not able to? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
from what your describing, it sounds like a mechanical sound, so either the CD drive or the hard drive, possibly some sort of fan (PSU fan also) - hard drives do make some sort of noise before they die usually, but it's usually different from what your describing

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
So, it's not either the motherboard or static electricity cracking sounds?

I'm also sure that it's not the hard drives, because the crackling sounds are not harmonic, and they don't come from the center of the case; they came from the side of the case. They will crack whenever the CPU is processing something, like typing letters in Notepad, or booting into older BIOS. The moment the screen pops up, the side of the case would start cracking.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
If you can tell me why old people groan and creak then you just answered your question.

It's because it's old.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So, it's not either the motherboard or static electricity cracking sounds?

I'm also sure that it's not the hard drives, because the crackling sounds are not harmonic, and they don't come from the center of the case; they came from the side of the case. They will crack whenever the CPU is processing something, like typing letters in Notepad, or booting into older BIOS. The moment the screen pops up, the side of the case would start cracking.

Hard drive more than likely. What makes you think the hard drive is in the middle of the case?

Alternatively it could be a fan, but more than likely it's the hard drive.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Hard drive more than likely. What makes you think the hard drive is in the middle of the case?

Alternatively it could be a fan, but more than likely it's the hard drive.

I'd have to concur with you. I've heard modern (not-so-good in quality) hard drives "crack". I would guess that it's the electricity trying to feed into a faulty flip flop.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My PS3 makes a loud cracking noise when starting up.

It's running just fine too.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I would guess that it's the electricity trying to feed into a faulty flip flop.

This does make sense...I guess I found my answer. Anyone else agrees?

My school's computer hardware works, everything is fine, maybe it's breaching lots of memory that it's flipflopping the microchips a lot...Else I don't know how to explain it. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.