Windows XP doesn't see the Fourth IDE Master

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
I just bought a new HDD, SATA like the old one. Now I connected them both and the BIOS sees them both fine, the old one being "Third IDE Master" and the new one being "Fourth IDE Master" since I connected it to the second SATA port. Now the windows boots up and only detects the old one. I tried switching the cables thus making the new HDD Third IDE Master, but that way it doesn't detect the old one.
So my question is why does this happen? Is there any fix/driver/whatever which would allow windows to see the HDD connected as the fourth IDE master?
The SATA controller is a part of my MB (ASUS P4P800).

Thanks in advance

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a few options.

1. The cable is broke (very rare).
2. You do not have the correct driver installed, look in device manager for this info, if you see any exclamation marks / yellow marks, then you have a problem.
The drive can be found at the motherboard's website.
3. If it's part of an SATA RAID controller, you may need to enable them in your bios or in the raid controller bios. (even though they aren't being raided)

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
If you are about to change drives to solve the problem, look here for a better result, because often you will have many slips if you are not careful.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks, it appears to be a windows issue (driver most likely, but I can neither find it nor do I have the time to investigate further). A recovery floppy sees it so hopefully it will be ok after I reinstall..so problem solved I guess.

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
I am glad. Actually, I had the same problem some months ago, but I changed my driver and it was fixed :)

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Sadly, windows driver protocols (mostly for RAID controllers) are a very messy system. I really hope that they fixed these problems with Windows Vista. I reformatted a few days ago, and had a very hard time finding the 'correct' RAID driver for my nvidia4 chipset.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.