Windows XP Frequent Hangs

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
I installed Windows XP Pro. Great operating system. One problem though... I get frequent hangs which cannot be escaped using CTRL+ALT+DEL. These hangs occur while surfing the internet with Internet Explorer 6.

After figuring these hangs are there to stay, I headed over to the event logger to see if anything was reported. Indeed there was. It told me the BIOS is sending commands which may cause system instability. At that point I thought a BIOS update would do it. The problem is, the company making my motherboard brand no longer has an fonctionnal download section. Of course, I e-mailed them to report the problem a month ago. Still no response. Poor support ? Oh yes. After a month of inactivity I figured they either went out of buisness or are no longer supporting their own products. I searched Google for any mirror sites. Nothing. I am obviously desperate, hopefuly someone can help me out of the gutter. I will post my motherboard's name should it help.

Future Power KT133+

The site
Future Power

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
what's the exact error message id number of it? Usually you can look those up on MS knowledge base, or just do a google search to find some possible solutions

G

Grimlock

Dunno if this is any help but these places in canada stock future power mobo's maybe htey can help you

ONTARIO COMPU-SILV BROCKVILLE 613/342-1377
OTTAWA DEALS DIRECT 888-368-3325
PEMBROKE, ONTARIO WISE CHOICE SYSTEMS 613-735-2023

I found this on their site too..
press release

I think since thye haven't had any news since june 1st 2001, we can safely assume, the settlement with Apple (the last news piece) screwed them out of business, but I'll keep looking for ya.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey I bought my old computer from that company in the middle.

Anyway they don't stock Future Power anymore. It's not quality stuff =)

G

Grimlock

sorry to make yet another post, do you have your bios string at all?

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Just my luck... What do you mean Grimlock ?

Here is the full error message from the Event Logger. It happened a few times.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I did try searching Microsoft's database without luck... No wonder this computer was rather cheap when I bought it.

G

Grimlock

whats your BIOS string ID, it's kinda like a serial code thats displyed somewhere in your bios.

G

Grimlock

just a sec, I'll restart and have alook.

I suspect it will be on the first page of your BIOS, i.e. the one thats comes up when you first enter it. It'll be a few letter and maybe a couple of numbers, a -, some numbers, a -, and a few more numbers, although don't quote me on that.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
This is all the information I could get.

First screen when booting up my computer :

Top of the screen
FP-KT133+ A07 03/12/2001

Bottom of the screen
03/12/2001 - 8363 - 686A/B - 6A6LMJ19C - 00

In the BIOS utility
CMOS Setup Utility - Copyright 1984 - 2000 Award Software

Here is a page which may be of interest.

Yet another page of interest.
http://www.wimsbios.com/

I think there is a way out. I noticed my ID identifies my motherbaord as JetWay's. Does this mean I should get one of their BIOS upgrades ? Not sure which one though, I don't want to mess up my motherboard.

G

Grimlock

You are indeed correct my NNR. It is a jetways motherboard with award bios, this link will take you to their main page.

ON the nav bar, go to download area, main board, bios, and it's listed about 1/2 of the way down.
Glad to be of service.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Thank you for the help Grimlock. We are on the right track. I'm not sure which BIOS to download though... Don't want to mess anything up. Can you point me to the correct one for me ? Thanks again.

G

Grimlock

I don;t suppose you'd happen to know whether your mobo is a
663AS/663AS PRO/663AS Ultra would you?

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
How can I find out ? Let's keep in mind this is risky buisness and yet it must be done.

I'm pretty sure I posted any valuable information in my previous post but there might be additional information elsewhere also.

In this case I would guess it is but let's make sure first. I will check my motherboard's documentation.

G

Grimlock

The bios updates are specific to certain problems, and for certain subtypes of the said mother board.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.