World Editor FAQ

Reaction score
As many of you have noticed, it may take some time to get the answer to some basic questions. The search is great, but making a Frequently Asked Questions thread would save the time of people and give more answers. Therefore, I decided it would be good to have a FAQ here.

Anyone can post a suggestion for a question and the answer for it. If the question is asked frequently or it's othervise good, it'll be added to this main post. If you want to comment to a question, feel free, but keep this thread clean of spamming and flaming.

You're free to post questions about WE & triggers and answers to them.

I

IKilledKEnny

Good idea, +REP only for having it. Only one idea at the moment will edit if I get some more.

What is JASS?

JASS is the scripting language of World Editor, which was made by Blizzard. You are using GUI which is made of charts and ivolves clicking on options, however in game the triggers are translated into JASS. You can convert GUI triggers to JASS to see how they really look like by selecting them and then going to edit and doing: Covert to text.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
Nice Idea(+Rep)

here's one of the most frequent questions:
How to change maximum level?

Advanced-->Gameplay Constants-->Hero - Maximum level

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
Good job, Geolottaja. +rep. Someone, pin this.

However, I doubt it will be extremely useful. Useful, but not that much.
Only because all the people who ask those sorts of questions just join, ask, find the answer, then leave.

Still, nice idea.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
FWIW we already had the ideas of making this.
In fact we do have a FAQ, but no one seems to notice it. It does however explain a very large number of question asked at least once every week/month.
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/faq.php
If that one is not enough then see some other, namely Elil's.
So...do you really think the people that ask those kind of questions would find a FAQ even if we had it pinned? I don't.

Why do I think not? Quite simple really - I have a pinner topic explaining what Jass is, yet people still ask that question. Optionally their posts contain "I searched for hours but found nothing!!! Pls help".

Want more? The Useful tools topic has quite the self-explanatory name, at least IMO. It's been around for some time, it is a pinner.
Yet every now and then someone comes up asking "where do I get xyz tool"...

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Blizzard Map Development FAQ
This thread is for frequently asked questions in the Blizzard Map Development forum.

Outdated. Leads to a blank page.

Same as previous.

Elilz FAQ
This FAQ was written and maintained by the users of the battle.net Map Development Forum. It was not created by Blizzard.

A working, but external FAQ.

MoMM Clan FAQ
FAQ from the Masters of Map Making forum.

A working, but external FAQ.

Warcraft III Campaigns TFT WorldEdit FAQ
A good FAQ for the transition from ROC to TFT.

Outdated. Leads to a ..ehm, not to a FAQ.

Warcraft III Campaigns Top Ten FAQ
Most commonly asked questions on Warcraft III Campaigns forum.

Same as previous.

I think It would be nice to have pinned FAQ topic, which also is linked from the navigation menu.

Reaction score
In other words, the existing FAQ is good in most parts, but only a minority of people know about it. Then how about copying the FAQ here and still give people the chance to add/modify questions and answers in it by commenting here?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Outdated
http://www.battle.net/forums/war3/thread.aspx?fn=war3-maps&t=211492&p=1
Though from what it seems this is taken from Elil's FAQ.

Either way it's pointless to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps a link to Ryoko's FAQ on the left pane, but as I said - the people that come and ask questions like that usually wouldn't find it even if a FAQ link was everywhere.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
...eh...... I dunno about that. Maybe if there was a menu button *START HERE FIRST OR BE LAUGHED AT* and then someone came and asked a question on the list, then everyone just said "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha" to them in response to their post, and sent them the link to the FAQ

it...might....just....work

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
To think about it, we have a lot of tutorials, which already explain much WE. One just has to search(but they never do).

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Why can't I open my map in the World Editor. I get an error when I try to open a map.

The map has been purposely been damaged by the creator so it may not be able to be opened by other people, this is called "Protecting". It can still be played in Warcraft III. If you are the creator, and you can't open it even though you didn't "protect" it in anyway, than the map file has been corrupted.

Not sure if that is the right answer, but it's a try :D

esb

Reaction score
I don't see a reason why not. Now if people truly want to learn, then they will search, and i believe it's hard not to notice this thread title "World Editor FAQ" in the same place they post the question.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> it's hard not to notice this thread title "World Editor FAQ" in the same place they post the question
Interesting enough, I though the same about "Useful Tools".

Edit:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55518

Edit2:
This is not a topic for asking questions, don't do that people.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
i find a problem with the fact the the "search" function , by default, organizes the whole thing by most recent thread. I think, just change the default organization to "highest rated" or "most replies" or something more relevant to the search for tutorial function

esb

Reaction score
i search to find results as posts, it's easier for me so i just skim through. Also, just use "direct" keywords, lets say i want a memory leak tutorial. I i put "memory leak tutorial" then i will get other tutorials, questions about memory leaks too, so i put "memory leak", show results as posts, and skim through. To make it easier, i CTRL + F "Tutorial", and viola (of course i search in stickys first

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.