WIP Zed

Conal

Reaction score
Title: ZED
An acronym for Zombie 3-D.

Little idea I had for a map so I made a basic engine for it. It needs a lot of work and ideas but the concept is there. To the point, it's a zombie survival map that introduces a different playing style.

Gameplay: The goal of the map is to piece together a fortress to fend off zombies. The fort essentially creates another dimension in battle, giving added defense, attack range, and other potential advantages.

Attached is a little sand box version of the map to get a better idea of how it will work and hopefully spark more ideas. Be sure to check Quests for some commands.

Bugs (all easily fixed):
- Ghouls can attack the upstairs from downstairs
- Can build on ladder

Version 0.3 Changes:
- Added locust to dummies
- Played around with lighting (makes gunfire look better)
- Optimized code
- Adjusted some of the hp bar lengths (most importantly tiles)
- Gave walls some opacity

Screenshots:
1.png

3.png

Attachments

• ZED v0.1.w3x
    38.8 KB · Views: 189
  • ZED v0.2.w3x
    38.6 KB · Views: 206
  • ZED v0.3.w3x
    39 KB · Views: 233

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
A possible fix is to replace any units with air units when they move onto the second floor. That way you retain collision and proper targeting.

How evil.

Conal

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The bugs have been fixed in the next version, just not in that map.

Do you think it has any potential?

Conal

Reaction score
Hmmm. After I added path blockers to the second floor, ground units' path mapping is acting strange. For instance, they'll walk all the way around the invisible air-path blockers rather than ignoring them.

Edit: I found out that if you stay on the inside of the air path blockers, the path mapping works fine. A solution to this might be making the whole map air blocked and just cut away from it when adding a tile. With my current methods, however, it would be very inefficient.

2.png

joohen

Reaction score
lol i can select the floor dummy, its a footman sound! Well, i love this!:thup::thup::thup:

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
A solution to this might be making the whole map air blocked and just cut away from it when adding a tile. With my current methods, however, it would be very inefficient.

Why inefficient? I find it good solution.

Conal

Reaction score
Hey emootootoo :)
Impressive memory you have.

Haha thanks for pointing that out joohen. I normally play with sound off and will definitely look into it. Not sure how I'd go about making the unit unselectable but still visible. I'd imagine locust but for some reason I was unable to remove the tile on death. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'll give it a shot furby and see how it works out.
Edit: If I did cover the map with air blockers, flying monsters would no longer be possible. Which I guess is fine because they're really annoying.

Edit2: Still have the same problem...
4.png

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Edit: If I did cover the map with air blockers, flying monsters would no longer be possible. Which I guess is fine because they're really annoying.

Make flying monsters hovering units with classification of ancient, you will use ancient as flying units. However if you need those monsters to be able to fly over objects, in that case this won't help you.

Conal

Reaction score
The problem still persisted even after covering the map with air pathing blockers...Not sure what to do about it now...

Conal

Reaction score
I think I fixed it. I was testing units with smaller collision size and noticed that when placed, their location was off a little. So I looked at the math and noticed that I put 30 degrees instead of 45 degrees when using a polar coordinate to place the blockers. I guess I assumed the math was fine since the path mapping was shown in perfect squares when I would use an Air-pathable required item to check the path when in reality, they were slanted.

Edit: The problem is still there. Just not as bad :\

Now I'm wondering if it would be wise to add collision to zombies upstairs. I'd imagine if a player had a single wall and went upstairs, and then tons of zombies went up as well, they'd spill over or cause some sort of problem.

Conal

Reaction score
Currently, I'm working on types of guns and miscellaneous items. Any suggestions how items will be acquired by players?

I'll probably end up using Illidan's broken building models in the landscape. Or just rubbly type things in general. The only thing I don't like is that the filesize will be large...

But a destroyed theme would make it easier to just scatter scraps and other materials around the map so that guns could be pieced together from them. I'm having trouble getting past the whole logical sense in all that though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.