Report Body’s Own Stem Cells Can Lead to Tooth Regeneration

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
NEW YORK (May 19, 2010) - A technique pioneered in the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory of Dr. Jeremy Mao, the Edward V. Zegarelli Professor of Dental Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, can orchestrate stem cells to migrate to a three-dimensional scaffold infused with growth factor, holding the translational potential to yield an anatomically correct tooth in as soon as nine weeks once implanted.

People who have lost some or all of their adult teeth typically look to dentures, or, more recently, dental implants to improve a toothless appearance that can have a host of unsettling psycho-social ramifications. Despite being the preferred (but generally painful and potentially protracted) treatment for missing teeth nowadays, dental implants can fail and are unable to “remodel” with surrounding jaw bone that undergoes necessary changes throughout a person’s life.

An animal-model study has shown that by homing stem cells to a scaffold made of natural materials and integrated in surrounding tissue, there is no need to use harvested stem cell lines, or create an environment outside of the body (e.g., a Petri dish) where the tooth is grown and then implanted once it has matured. The tooth instead can be grown “orthotopically,” or in the socket where the tooth will integrate with surrounding tissue in ways that are impossible with hard metals or other materials.

Last edited:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
FUCK! Why wasn't I told about this? I got $3000 implants only to be told that my tooth can be REGROWN.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what ever happened to this. Probably supressed by the dental industry if I had to guess. Too much money in implants and false teeth.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder what ever happened to this. Probably supressed by the dental industry if I had to guess. Too much money in implants and false teeth.
The technique is about to undergo human clinical trial. However, they are aiming for 2030 for the drugs to be approved for use if all things are successful.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
20 years from this article to the best case result of this research. It just takes too long for this stuff imho.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.