[Contest] Hero Contest 1#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Those are just attachment Systems :p
Just forbid the Caster System, because you can make incredible spells from it with just a few lines :nuts::nuts:
anyways, If this gets approved, I'll definatly join.
Ive sent over 6 pms with a mod. Im 99% sure its approved, He went afk as I sent last PM.

No-no to the caster sysmtem, I gusse.

EDIT: In total 13 PMs sent between me and Ghan_04, last one he said I needed to change one thing and it had his approval, And I fixed it, But I think he went afk after that. Baisically, Consider it approved... xD

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
If you want your hero to have a certian model file, can you use a model file that you haven't created yourself? Really sounds like fun.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the actual purpose of the spell more than just instant damage? Has it been done before? Does it match the theme of the hero? Could you see it in a map? Is it fun? Does it work properly? Does it look cool? Does it go well with the hero?
Layout
Effects: ?/10 (Does it look cool, but not overdone?)
Originality: ?/10 (Has it been done before?)
Theme: ?/10 (Do the spells go good with the hero?)
Fun: ?/10 (Was it fun to use the spells?
Works: ?/10 (Does it work well?)
Spells Total: ??/60 ??.??%
Effects Grading Comments:

10 points accorded to "fun"? 30 points altogether accorded to "theme", "effect", and "originality", which really should be only 1 category?

Your grading is off the track.

You should take a look at your "totals" concerning points. They do not match in most cases.

> Stats: ?/7 (This includes armor types and amounts, attack types, AND INT\AGIL, ect.)

????

> Cleanness, Goes together well, everything fits a theme.. - 30 Points

You already give out 10 points for "fits in a theme" in the spells. Don't give it again... :)

Daskunk

Reaction score
10 points accorded to "fun"? 30 points altogether accorded to "theme", "effect", and "originality", which really should be only 1 category?
im confused, here... I dont get what you mean.

You should take a look at your "totals" concerning points. They do not match in most cases.
Fixed.
> Stats: ?/7 (This includes armor types and amounts, attack types, AND INT\AGIL, ect.)
????
Changing that...

> Cleanness, Goes together well, everything fits a theme.. - 30 Points
You already give out 10 points for "fits in a theme" in the spells. Don't give it again... :)
Ok

H

hadha

hm, seems like fun.
I'll try to join and get it done for once - hoping to see some brilliant ideas when contest is over =D

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> im confused, here... I dont get what you mean.

You give too many points to subjective and mostly useless things. Like I said, 30 points out of 100 given to originality, effect, and theme is way too much (They're almost the same too...). 10 to fun is also out of the line. :) (Fun being...?)

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
Why use a points system? It's hard to say "Oh, that's only 80% fun, not 100%", and sometimes it doesn't make any sense. I think the best way to do a contest like this is in the following way:
  • People submit their heroes.
  • People on the forum playtest the maps for the heroes.
  • Anybody and everybody can vote publicly by posting in some thread. Every voter can give 2 points; they can give 1 point to each of their two favorites, or they can give 2 points to just one submission. Perhaps they only want to give out 1 point.
  • People's votes only count if they give a valid, acceptable reason for doing so. E.G: "I liked hero X for A, B, and C. It did have a flaw due to D, but overall it was the best hero of the bunch."
  • After some time, the public voting is closed.
  • Votes are counted manually by someone (a moderator or the contest runner) and then shown.
  • Either the top N contestants or all of them are then reviewed by 1 or 2 judges and given an X/100 score for their coding.
  • Points given in votes and the judging score are then combined in some way to yield a total score that determines the "winner".
That is a much better way to do it in my opinion.

Additionally, I urge you to read through the first few pages of the Warcraft3Campaigns.net's Hero Contest thread and take some ideas from that. My main concerns are the usage of imports (models, skins, icons, etc.), which I don't think should be allowed, and the fact that you don't specify what type of a hero you must make.

I think you should have contestants base heroes around a melee map as the Wc3C contest did. The heroes should be an addition to the Melee Hero Tavern.

Daskunk

Reaction score
Why use a points system? It's hard to say "Oh, that's only 80% fun, not 100%", and sometimes it doesn't make any sense. I think the best way to do a contest like this is in the following way:
  • People submit their heroes.
  • People on the forum playtest the maps for the heroes.
  • Anybody and everybody can vote publicly by posting in some thread. Every voter can give 2 points; they can give 1 point to each of their two favorites, or they can give 2 points to just one submission. Perhaps they only want to give out 1 point.
  • People's votes only count if they give a valid, acceptable reason for doing so. E.G: "I liked hero X for A, B, and C. It did have a flaw due to D, but overall it was the best hero of the bunch."
  • After some time, the public voting is closed.
  • Votes are counted manually by someone (a moderator or the contest runner) and then shown.
  • Either the top N contestants or all of them are then reviewed by 1 or 2 judges and given an X/100 score for their coding.
  • Points given in votes and the judging score are then combined in some way to yield a total score that determines the "winner".
That is a much better way to do it in my opinion.

Additionally, I urge you to read through the first few pages of the Warcraft3Campaigns.net's Hero Contest thread and take some ideas from that. My main concerns are the usage of imports (models, skins, icons, etc.), which I don't think should be allowed, and the fact that you don't specify what type of a hero you must make.

I think you should have contestants base heroes around a melee map as the Wc3C contest did. The heroes should be an addition to the Melee Hero Tavern.
I made it be public poll, in the first post, and Ill add the rest on the poll its self. Also added: "[*] Must be a balanced hero, like one you could add to a melee map."

If that better now?

duyen

Reaction score
I will join if I have the time.

QUESTION: Is it 3 normal spells and an ultimate? Or are we to decide?

0zaru

Learning vJASS ;)
Reaction score
Well, we can use other people icons (Like the ones in hiveworkshop.com ?)

Daskunk

Reaction score
Well, we can use other people icons (Like the ones in hiveworkshop.com ?)
Yes. For this contest I am allowing them, if you give credits. As some people dont like imports allowed, 2# wont allow them I think...

Technically, I said in my first post it would start in a week, but as people have allready been working on theres, I think... >_>

duyen

Reaction score
Yes, I'm already done with first 3 spells, just need to balance them out.

EDIT: Add me to list of contestants.

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
when/where are we gonna give you the hero? :p i got a question also. the hero, should i be more like original warcraft hero(melee) or more like, custom, for example a DotA like hero? xD

Daskunk

Reaction score
Make it original, make it able to be for anything, not a spific kind of game. Make it balanced, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.