Minigame Evil Christmas

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Introduction

It's almost Christmas, however, no Christmas is complete without a Christmas-themed map. This map was created just for the fun of it.

Version Changelogs

Version 1.0
- Initial release

Version 1.1
Game Core
- Missile Phase renamed to "Raining Candy Phase"
- Blizzard Phase renamed to "Present Phase"
- Added a notification to all players when an ability is obtained
- Fixed player settings
- Made respawn location a bit away from trees
- Added a sound upon unit death
- Added a message when a player leaves
- Added a new phase; Glaical Spike Phase

Units
- Changed Missile model to Candy Cane
- Changed Missile damage radius from 150 to 200
- Changed Missile damage from 2 to 5
- Reduced the present box spawn rate increase from 4 to 3
- Increased damage radius of present box to 60 to 65
- Added a 2 second invulnerability after being revived

Abilities
Frosty Shield
- Increased duration from 3 seconds to 4 seconds
- Changed so that un-movable state lasts only 2 seconds

Dash!
- Added a better visual effect

- Made the power-up present boxes spawn in any phase at 10 seconds interval

Version 1.11
Game Core
- Fixed player settings that disabled starting the game in Multiplayer

Background

It's that season again, where Christmas comes! However, Santa is now sick and tired of "giving present to good boys and girls". Instead, only the sole survivor of his arena will get a present. A present known as "life". The rest will suffer a horrible fate worse than death. So, will you be the sole survivor or the one that suffers?

Story

Like any other person, you were sleeping while spending an awesome Christmas eve. Suddenly, the next thing you realize is that you've been transported to a mysterious island with a giant evil Santa. And so, the game of survival begins...

Game Details

A basic survival game where up to 12 players can play at the same time. Only one player will emerge victorious. The giant Santa will start bombarding all of the players with his attacks. His attacks grows stronger every round. The objective is to be the last survivor of his constant attack. You can't kill other players as you cannot attack. However, you can obtain special ability power-ups to deal damage to other players. Players have a total of 10 lives and 5 health per life.

Candy Phase
The Santa shoots a number of explosive candy canes every interval for a certain number of waves. The candy canes take 2 second before they land. As a player, it's your job to spot the candy's shadow and dodge it before they hit you. The candy canes are indicated by their shadows and a "Blink" effect. A candy cane kills you instantly. Every round, the candy cane count and candy cane waves increases while the candy cane cooldown decreases.

Screenshot
rainingcandy.jpg

Present Phase
The Santa sends a parade of present boxes from a certain direction; north, south, east or west. The player's job is to dodge these present boxes which deal 1 damage on impact. At the same time, blizzard winds will also blow from a certain direction; north, south, east or west. The Present Phase lasts 30 seconds. The number of damaging present boxes and wind speed increases every round.

Screenshot
presentj.jpg

Glacial Spike Phase
The Santa sends a disturbance into the ground, causing glacial spikes to spawn from the ground and move in a random manner. Any player struck by the spikes are instantly killed. The path that the spikes takes becomes unpathable. A glacial spike lasts 20 seconds or until it leaves the playable region. Every round, the rate in which each glacial spike is created is decreased. Glacial Spike Phase lasts 20 seconds.

Screenshot
glacialspike.jpg

Abilities

Abilities can be obtained from stationary black colored present boxes. These present boxes spawn every 10 seconds of the game. Spawning boxes will be indicated with a ping in the mini-map. These special boxes provide an ability to the player who obtains it. Abilities are only for single-time use and a player cannot have more than 1 ability at once.

Dash!
Causes the user to move at maximum speed and grants immunity against blizzard winds.

Throw Candy Cane
Throws a candy cane that travels in the same direction. Any unit hit by the candy receives 2 damage and is stunned for 2 seconds.

Snowball
Throws a snowball at a random target, dealing 1 damage and slowing the unit by 50% for 3 seconds. Units that are slowed cannot be damaged by other snowballs.

Frosty Shield
Covers self with a huge mass of ice that makes the user invulnerable for 4 seconds. The huge mass of ice causes the user to be unable to move for 2 seconds. Removes all buffs and debuffs when used.

Things Needed

- Loading Screen
- More ideas for future updates
- Bug reports
- Feedback

Credits

Systems
Jesus4Lyf - Key Timers 2
Nestharus - Recycle

Models
Santa
Candy Cane
Santa Hat
Christmas Tree
Frosty Shield
Glacial Spikes

Icons
Candy Cane
Snowball
Frosty Shield

Attachments

• Evil Christmas v1.11.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 330

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
Lol. Evil Santa. At first I was thinking Grinch :p. So. Practically an epic survival of Rain of Fire/Blizzard spells with Missile models and Stampede with present boxes and you try to compete. Sounds fun!

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Lol. Evil Santa. At first I was thinking Grinch :p. So. Practically an epic survival of Rain of Fire/Blizzard spells with Missile models and Stampede with present boxes and you try to compete. Sounds fun!

Yeah, pretty simple game. Thus, need more ideas to improve on it, if possible :thup:

Joshman_09

Reaction score
Heres a loading screen i put together for ya, Its a bit mediocre cuz im fairly new to photoshop but eh its something.

Loading-Screen.jpg

Edit: Heres a different variation incase u wanted to put the small paragraph introducing the game on the loading screen.

Loading-Screen2.jpg

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Screenshots? :)

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
I've got a little feedback for this, based on playing it alone :p

1. IMO, missile levels are too easy and present levels are hard(But that's the point right? :p)

2. I had one ability and I tried to pick up another present, but I still had one ability. I thought the reasons are, either the second ability is not allowed, somewhere in the triggers, or it's actually the same ability. Maybe you can make it possible to have 2 of the same abilities, sucks to not get another ability just because it's the same :thdown:
Edit: I tried it again, my first ability got replaced with another even though I only had one ability o.o

3. I stopped respawning after I reached 7 lives.. o.o I'm not sure me alt-tabbing had anything to do with that. (Pausing the game)
Edit: I tried it again, it works fine.

4. Maybe add some invulnerability right after you respawn, for 1 second? And also allow movement just before the ice protection ends? You'll feel !@#$ if you just respawn and get hit by 2 or 3 presents immediately and then making an attempt to run you get hit by 2 more after you just came out of the ice or respawned.

5. The cinematic was a little funny and weird :p but then it's just the cinematic. :D

6. I like the random event :thup:

7. "Only one player will emerge victorious." What happens if there's only one player?

Suggestions:
1.MOAR PHASES! Though it could be more related to the theme... (Santa firing missiles..?) Since there are no, really ice themed effects/phases maybe you can inclue some? Like elfs coming out from the ground/sky and throwing ice creams at units, which freezes them, whilst Santa walks around slowly crushing units that get walked over. Can think of something that has to do with reindeers too :D

2. Also, maybe you can include advanced phases and beginning phases, so after 5 levels of 2 phases, you go on to the next 2 phases which lasts 5 levels, then the next, otherwise increasing the amount and stuff increases difficulty and fun, but it's a little repetitive. :(

3. Maybe some terrain differences... The white ground is just plain boring o.o
Some ground levels differences and different textures, maybe frozen lakes, which you can include a random event that breaks the ice and players dropping in will die instantly?

4. Just a suggestion for first time players, maybe display a message to the owner of the unit that received the ability, something like
"You have just received Dash(Q)!"
Reason being because I tried to look at what the spell is, and what it did, and what key it was, I got hit by the presents several times :(

5. Really not needed, but I think it's neater to have fixed player settings and put them all into a force and fix force settings as well. :)

Edit:
6. Maybe you should allow the player that lost to stay and watch the game... Granting vision of the map. Reason being the players might be keen to watch, how others play, or are waiting for the others, or maybe that's the only map hosted so the player has to wait until they have finished the game and host the map.

7. The respawn points shouldn't be too near the trees too.

I'll try hosting it in public and give more feedbacks,
Hope these feedback helps :thup:

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
I've got a little feedback for this, based on playing it alone :p

1. IMO, missile levels are too easy and present levels are hard(But that's the point right? :p)

2. I had one ability and I tried to pick up another present, but I still had one ability. I thought the reasons are, either the second ability is not allowed, somewhere in the triggers, or it's actually the same ability. Maybe you can make it possible to have 2 of the same abilities, sucks to not get another ability just because it's the same :thdown:
Edit: I tried it again, my first ability got replaced with another even though I only had one ability o.o

3. I stopped respawning after I reached 7 lives.. o.o I'm not sure me alt-tabbing had anything to do with that. (Pausing the game)
Edit: I tried it again, it works fine.

4. Maybe add some invulnerability right after you respawn, for 1 second? And also allow movement just before the ice protection ends? You'll feel !@#$ if you just respawn and get hit by 2 or 3 presents immediately and then making an attempt to run you get hit by 2 more after you just came out of the ice or respawned.

5. The cinematic was a little funny and weird :p but then it's just the cinematic. :D

6. I like the random event :thup:

7. "Only one player will emerge victorious." What happens if there's only one player?

1) Hmm, any suggestion to make the missile phase harder? I'm kind of afraid of an epic lag that might occur if too many missiles spawn at once.

2) It's intended lol. You're only supposed to have one ability at once. This is to prevent people from stacking abilities and using it all at once.

3) Ah, okay o.o

4) Yeah, actually I figured I should give about 2 seconds invulnerability when you spawn.

5) Was just for funsies xD

6) Haha xD

7) Well, basically that's Single Player mode. In Single Player mode, it's basically survival until you die. Meant to be a multiplayer game.

Suggestions:
1.MOAR PHASES! Though it could be more related to the theme... (Santa firing missiles..?) Since there are no, really ice themed effects/phases maybe you can inclue some? Like elfs coming out from the ground/sky and throwing ice creams at units, which freezes them, whilst Santa walks around slowly crushing units that get walked over. Can think of something that has to do with reindeers too :D

2. Also, maybe you can include advanced phases and beginning phases, so after 5 levels of 2 phases, you go on to the next 2 phases which lasts 5 levels, then the next, otherwise increasing the amount and stuff increases difficulty and fun, but it's a little repetitive. :(

3. Maybe some terrain differences... The white ground is just plain boring o.o
Some ground levels differences and different textures, maybe frozen lakes, which you can include a random event that breaks the ice and players dropping in will die instantly?

4. Just a suggestion for first time players, maybe display a message to the owner of the unit that received the ability, something like
"You have just received Dash(Q)!"
Reason being because I tried to look at what the spell is, and what it did, and what key it was, I got hit by the presents several times :(

5. Really not needed, but I think it's neater to have fixed player settings and put them all into a force and fix force settings as well. :)

Edit:
6. Maybe you should allow the player that lost to stay and watch the game... Granting vision of the map. Reason being the players might be keen to watch, how others play, or are waiting for the others, or maybe that's the only map hosted so the player has to wait until they have finished the game and host the map.

7. The respawn points shouldn't be too near the trees too.

I'll try hosting it in public and give more feedbacks,
Hope these feedback helps :thup:

1) Hmm, good ideas. I'll try come up with something Christmas-related =D

2) Actually, I was thinking of a fusion phase, where the Missile and Blizzard phase will be combined together. Though, I think that will be quite impossible to dodge o.o

3) Hmm, possibly I'll add some new terrains. But your ground cracking idea just gave me a new Phase idea =D

4) Ah, yeah. Actually I intended to do this. Except I forgot =.="

5) Ah yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

6) Okay, you have a good point there.

7) Okay, will make the respawn points away from trees.

Thanks for the feedback :thup:

@ Joshman_09
Looks simple and great. Will be using it, thanks. Will include your name in the loading screen, of course :thup:

@ Romek
Will be coming up in the next version :D

skyblader

Reaction score
1) Hmm, any suggestion to make the missile phase harder? I'm kind of afraid of an epic lag that might occur if too many missiles spawn at once.

2) It's intended lol. You're only supposed to have one ability at once. This is to prevent people from stacking abilities and using it all at once.

3) Actually, I was thinking of a fusion phase, where the Missile and Blizzard phase will be combined together. Though, I think that will be quite impossible to dodge o.o

1) Maybe increase the size? Or a little faster?

2) I just thought since you said no more than 2 abilities :p
Abilities are only for single-time use and a player cannot have more than 2 abilities at once.

3)Yeap. It'd be impossible to dodge.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
1) Maybe increase the size? Or a little faster?

Hmm, yeah, I guess increasing the AoE should be enough, I hope =/
And actually, I'm thinking of replacing the missiles with Candy Canes xD

2) I just thought since you said no more than 2 abilities :p

My bad, that was a typo =X

3)Yeap. It'd be impossible to dodge.

Ahh...oh well xD

Ah yes, another question. Is the music too soft in terms of volume?

skyblader

Reaction score
Back with more feedbacks :D

1. I noticed if you used the dash spell, and if you nearly ran into a present but move away just in time, the present will disappear, you'll get the blood spilling animation played but you won't lose any health.

So the players were getting owned by the presents, but said the missile levels are too easy as well. Hehehe, I won the game against the other 3, with 3 lives left. Really should fix the respawn invulnerability soon :thup:

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Back with more feedbacks :D

1. I noticed if you used the dash spell, and if you nearly ran into a present but move away just in time, the present will disappear, you'll get the blood spilling animation played but you won't lose any health.

So the players were getting owned by the presents, but said the missile levels are too easy as well. Hehehe, I won the game against the other 3, with 3 lives left. Really should fix the respawn invulnerability soon :thup:

1) Ah. Guess I'll have to fix that

2) Yeah, I'm about halfway done for the next patch. Missile phase is going to be harder in the next version...I hope :O

Thanks for the feedback xD

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
Single Player I died once from 2nd Blizzard Phase then was at 9 lives and never revived?

The missiles are kinda awkward. I mean missiles in winter..

Dash shouldn't give you an special effect, looks kinda bloodthirsty.

Dash should give a blink then extra speed.

Throw snowball should have 2 types. Big snowball and small. Ofc big would have to channel.

Since theres a eclipse event there should be a blizzard storm one too, like a slowing movement.

Spell - Snow Fort channels 2 seconds and makes a snow fort the point your facing to protect you for 5 hits.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Single Player I died once from 2nd Blizzard Phase then was at 9 lives and never revived?

Hmm, never encountered this problem o.o

The missiles are kinda awkward. I mean missiles in winter..

Yeah, changed to giant falling Candy Canes

Dash shouldn't give you an special effect, looks kinda bloodthirsty.

Dash should give a blink then extra speed.

Hmm, I wouldn't do so much on blink as of now. But will be adding a special effect.

Throw snowball should have 2 types. Big snowball and small. Ofc big would have to channel.

As for abilities, I'll keep it simple first, until more phases are introduced.

Since theres a eclipse event there should be a blizzard storm one too, like a slowing movement.

There's already the wind that blows towards a certain direction in the Blizzard Phase.

Spell - Snow Fort channels 2 seconds and makes a snow fort the point your facing to protect you for 5 hits.

Will consider implementing this.

Thanks for the feedback :D

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Heres a loading screen i put together for ya, Its a bit mediocre cuz im fairly new to photoshop but eh its something.

Loading-Screen.jpg

Edit: Heres a different variation incase u wanted to put the small paragraph introducing the game on the loading screen.

Loading-Screen2.jpg

Wow omg, how do you guys actually make such nice pictures?? I don't get it, lol... Might be I fail in such things :(

skyblader

Reaction score
It's very simple actually. I personally don't believe he drew it on his own because it didn't really fit and all, so it's definitely just pictures put together.

For dash, changing the effect might be good but changing to to a blink... I don't think it'll help much, or at all since there are so many flying presents. And I strongly suggest you don't include any channeling spells. The presents will fry you before you even complete a spell o.o

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Updated to Version 1.1

Version 1.1 Changelog
Game Core
- Missile Phase renamed to "Raining Candy Phase"
- Blizzard Phase renamed to "Present Phase"
- Added a notification to all players when an ability is obtained
- Fixed player settings
- Made respawn location a bit away from trees
- Added a sound upon unit death
- Added a message when a player leaves
- Added a new phase; Glaical Spike Phase

Units
- Changed Missile model to Candy Cane
- Changed Missile damage radius from 150 to 200
- Changed Missile damage from 2 to 5
- Reduced the present box spawn rate increase from 4 to 3
- Increased damage radius of present box to 60 to 65
- Added a 2 second invulnerability after being revived

Abilities
Frosty Shield
- Increased duration from 3 seconds to 4 seconds
- Changed so that un-movable state lasts only 2 seconds

Dash!
- Added a better visual effect

- Made the power-up present boxes spawn in any phase at 10 seconds interval

As usual, feedback will be appreciated :thup:

skyblader

Reaction score
It's out! Time to test it :D

One thing though,
Increased damage radius of present box from 60 to 65

Edit: LOL GLENPHIR... DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW EMBARRASSED I WAS...

I hosted the map in public and many people joined the game, only to realise I couldn't start it. When you put them all into a force, please uncheck the allied settings :p Otherwise there won't be any opponents and the game can't be started.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.