Game Crew

G

guitarplay

i added the forum link to the first post "easier to find" and im preety sure i did register.

ok guys. XNAbeta came out today so ima download that.

As for c++, im learning quickly but im still ways away from making a game.

as for crees, i meant think of them not necesarily model them.

if ya wanna get started modleing anything make it the main characters. I havnt had time to do anything. As for 2D art, if someone could possible make a sort of diplay screene or something. We know its calld The Curse and we know the storyline so if you could make a sort of pic that could be for a cover on a case it would be nice to start with.

D

dega512

Since you are just starting out, I would highly advise that you use a language other than C/C++ (for many reasons) and use a language like C#.

im tempted to say put me down for c + + but i dont know it yet im getting a few books this weekend about it tho and if i learn enough from those books ill tell you. So idk how quick u want to fill in spots but if u give me a week or so i will probly get the hang of the language from the books (I learn super speedy)
It's going to take a lot more than a week or so to learn C++ (or any other lanugage) well enough to make a game.

aight well ive decided it will probably be in diretctX wich goes with C++
Not really, you can use .NET with DirectX 9 and as of today .NET also has XNA. Java and other languages also have DirectX bindings.

now i am looking for a good game engine to use, and hopefully from there it will all go uphill codewise.
I have heard good things about Torque and Beyond Virtual (although these aren't free :( , I'm sure there are ones that are just as good for free (after a quick google search I found Rage3D, I don't know how good it is though)).

I suggest using the free Genesis 3D Engine.
im also looking at crystal space 3D
These are only for rendering, as are Irrlicht and OGRE 3D. Just so you know, most of the engines that you guys have been mentioning do have bindings to other languages such as Java and .NET (notice a theme ;) ?). Also, depending on how many programmers you guys pick up you could make your own engine to meet your exact needs.

You seemed to have expressed an interest in DirectX, which just so you know is only available for Windows (although, this is where the majority of the gamers are), but it has API's for graphics (2D and 3D), audio, input (keyboard, mouse, xbox 360 controllers, joysticks, etc...), videos, and networking (which I would not worry about any form of networking until you have a working version of the game! Also, if you have plans of networking, yet another reason to steer away from C/C++, it's quite painfull).

I'm sorry to have sounded so negative in this post :) , I'm just trying to point you in the right direction! If you guys have any questions don't be afraid to ask me :shades: (since I don't use these forums, it would be best to email me at zach__AT__csi-co-usa.com)!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I can't even go in the forums because I get a weird "you have no permission" error.

G

guitarplay

thanks for the advise, and il check out thoes engines. I dont realy know much about anything.

K

Kadgar

... the forums suck., I still can't loggin and i got no password or anything. can someone help me?

G

guitarplay

aight guys these forum dont seem to be workin out for some people. I cant fix anything though, not my forums. IMa see what i can do to get this all worked out and all.

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting a
Code:
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was: 

You do not have permission to view this board

This ain't good!

Also, guitarplay, about models -

How many polys they should have?
What about animations? Should I make them, or should I make the model and wait if it fits the game?

K

Kadgar

i got it to work. I just have 1 prob. I need tghe passwords.

R

RobustChum

OK guys srry about that and the wierd permission thing was retarded, dont even know what that was...but we have our first job for all 3d artist...go look at it

s15.invisionfree.com/WHP

O and the the forums are no longer password protected
so dotn worry about it

T

tongli

Hi guys i'm tongli , i'm a C/C++ programmer with 5 years of experience with knowledge of DirectX , OpenGL , etc .
I have read the "help wanted" posted by guitarplay , and i'm interested in this project .
What i have to offer is my experience , so i can share my programming knowledges with others and project management tips .

If you need my help or do you have any question , feel free to contact me , i have some ideas and suggestions to reach the goal .

Thanks to everybody ,
bye.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is good news, you're hired :shades:.

5 years of experience seems like he knows his stuff, so yeah, it'd be awesome for you to help us out :).

I'm sure you've read through the thread, but here's a recap anyway:

Most (2) of us voted Fantasy, RPG and for it to have quests, sub-quests and an overall quest.

It's going to be a 3D world with some 2D graphics as well as models (2D graphics as in textures, skins etc).

---

Glad to see a C++ programmer willing to help us out :).

~Jindo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.