Terraining Contest 3! Starts May 10th.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I will accept judges but no contestants until May 10th.

---

This would've happened sooner if it weren't for the unfortunate incident with the database.

---

TERRAINING CONTEST 3 RULES:

~Deadline: June 20th 2006.

~You can terrain ANYTHING (forest, underwater, battlefield, cave, ANYTHING).

~Sizes and Limits don't matter, use any mapping tools to make your screenies as colorful as possible.

~You may start working on your entries now.

~Any entries before May 10th or after the deadline will not be accepted.

~There will be 3 judges (including me).

~DON'T SEND THE MAPS IN, ONLY POST SCREENIES!!!

JUDGING, SCORES:

Judging will be done similar to last time:

Terraining: If your map uses alot of doodads and custom terrain etc, you will score high on this, aim for as many different ools and doodads and other things as possible.

Detail: Don't just throw a load of doodads on for a high terraining score, you need to perfect everything in order to score high for this category.

Space: Don't create an empty map for screenies, but don't overcrowd it either.
Any map with realistic space (which depends on what kind of map you're doing) will score high.

Extras: Anything extra included in the screenies will be rewarded with extra points.

Overall: (obviously) This is the total of the other 4 categories, so aim to do well in all of them.

---

JUDGES: ~Jindo, emjlr3, Jo_O
contestants: Mullit, Jimpy, Darthfett, Jazradel, Lord_Kakashi, DragenFire, ROBBYDOBBY, Jakadasnake, Tharius, NoxMortus

Code:
[COLOR=darkorange][b]Tharius:                          10    10   10   8   -   38[/b][/COLOR]
[COLOR=gray]NoxMortus:                        8     9    8    9   -   34[/COLOR]
[COLOR=sienna]Mullit:                           10   10    8    5   –   33
Darthfett:                        9     9    9    6   –   33[/COLOR]
Lord_Kakashi:                     6     6    10   10  –   32
ROBBYDOBBY:                       7     7    9    7   -   30

Congratulations to the winner(s) :D.

~Jindo

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Okay, you're both on the contestants list.

DragenFire, you're now a judge ^.^.

DEADLINE WILL BE DECIDED ON MAY 10TH

~Jindo

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
can I judge, i suck at terrain but I know what I think looks good

perhaps it would give me a chance to broaden my terraining horizons and possibly become better...

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
YOU.. are on my list!!

my judges list that is.

--NO MORE JUDGES, CONTESTANTS ONLY--

which means, me, DragenFire and emjlr3 are judging.

~Jindo

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Too bad 2-P hasn't even joined yet since we went back in time. :(

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Jindo said:
Terraining: If your map uses alot of doodads and custom terrain etc, you will score high on this, aim for as many different ools and doodads and other things as possible.

Detail: Don't just throw a load of doodads on for a high terraining score, you need to perfect everything in order to score high for this category.

Space: Don't create an empty map for screenies, but don't overcrowd it either.
Any map with realistic space (which depends on what kind of map you're doing) will score high.

Extras: Anything extra included in the screenies will be rewarded with extra points.

Overall: (obviously) This is the total of the other 4 categories, so aim to do well in all of them.

These descriptions seem lacking... like terrain, it should just be about how many doodads you use... 1000 blades of grass all clumped together will probably look just as good as 25. Also, should it really depend on how your imports look? That doesn't really seem fair. Some people might just find a better tree model, and that would get them a higher score.

What do you mean by realistic space? I think an empty map (with bits and pieces of terraining) would look ok in the screenies, since it will only show the emptyness on the minimap. Also, that would really limit how well the terraining looks, since you will have to have a full map, with only 4 days to work on it.

Anything extra included in the screenies will be rewarded with extra points.
What extras might these be?

I'd like to join the contest, btw. :p

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
ugh lol..

Extras are just points out of 10, all the categories are (except overall).

---

Terraining: that doesn't say anything about making the imports look good, that's what the detail category is :/

---

Realistic Space: if you chose a forest, then you'd want it to be overcrowded but not TOO overcrowded.

If you chose a cave, you'd want it to be half and half.

Underwater, fairly empty but still include detail.

Battlescene, covered in dead body doodads and blood and tanks and stuff :p.

But seriously, if it makes sense, then it's fine :).

---

@hobo218: sorry, we've got all the judges.
@Jimpy: I'll change it when May 10th comes round (but If you can't wait then say so).

~Jindo

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
I'll definetly enter, but are we allowed to use custom models still?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Yes, use ANYTHING to make ANY type of map.

you are only allowed to make one map but you can post as many screenies as you like.

~Jindo

adding you to the list

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
Well... all my posts and reputation is gone... but i would still very much like to enter this competition since i did pretty well last time :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.