Sci/Tech A cloaking device that really works–underwater

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

The last of the "Harry Potter" movies have come and gone--but the real-world search for an invisibility cloak lives. Researchers at the University of Dallas announced a ground-breaking cloaking device that can make things disappear. But there's one important hitch: The things in question have to be underwater.

According to the university's press release, this cool experiment "not only takes advantage of one of nature's most bizarre phenomena, but also boasts unique features; it has an 'on and off' switch and is best used underwater."

Last edited:

Switch33

Reaction score
That's just badass. Simple as that. Imagine submarines using this? Lol that makes for a whole new game of battleship type war.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
That's just badass. Simple as that. Imagine submarines using this? Lol that makes for a whole new game of battleship type war.

if im not mistaken most subs use sonar for navigation anyway

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
Even if they invent invisibility cloaks outside of water. They will be the following

A) Too expensive for normal people to get + illegal
B) Ever heard of Infra-red
C) Probably still shimmer around the edges so won't be 100% invisible (Although i might be wrong)
D) Dogs will still be able to sniff you out

Whats the point of making one? Their uses are very limited and the cost must be massive to create. Can't remember how many trillions of dollars the US government is in debt right now.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if they invent invisibility cloaks outside of water. They will be the following

A) Too expensive for normal people to get + illegal
B) Ever heard of Infra-red
C) Probably still shimmer around the edges so won't be 100% invisible (Although i might be wrong)
D) Dogs will still be able to sniff you out

Whats the point of making one? Their uses are very limited and the cost must be massive to create. Can't remember how many trillions of dollars the US government is in debt right now.

They (being the Military Elite) really like the idea of this for their subs. The subs have so many nukes on them it is ridiculous. They LOVE the idea of being able to hide subs totally. That is why you see the govt involved.

Defense spending is very high in the US. We are in kind of Arms Dealer type role here and there is a high amount of influence by Defense Contractors in the government. Those kind of deals create jobs though, some of the best....

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
And you can study how it works underwater and develop a method of doing it out of water....

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I don't care if it's a useless piece of junk with limited uses.
It'd still be pretty sweet to own one of those.

Imagine:
*Goes to local swimming pool/beach*
*Puts on cloak*
*New Urban Legend is created*

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't care if it's a useless piece of junk with limited uses.
It'd still be pretty sweet to own one of those.

Imagine:
*Goes to local swimming pool/beach*
*Puts on cloak*
*New Urban Legend is created*

Hey man, did you hear about the pedophile in the pool wearing an invisibility cloak?

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
Hey man, did you hear about the pedophile in the pool wearing an invisibility cloak?

456474931_55541182cd_o.jpg

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Until someone accidentally kicks you in the face and then you drown but no one sees you because you're invisible. Then the next day when a kid jumps into the pool he will hit something stuff and be like "wtf" and then they will find your dead body.

Anyway. Awesome.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Think about a robber stealing that cloak... Who knows what would happen if water is near :/

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
So cool! I wonder if this is standard issue on submarines now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.