A few noob questions for the Pro's

Warchild-NC

Reaction score
Hi, even though I just joined the forum I have been hanging around for a while and a big fan of some of you script creators. A lot of good stuff here and some good script creators. So here is a few questions I have…

1 - A lot of systems require you to lock the system to a unit, ex: some arrow key systems, 3rd person view, and other systems. But what if I want to use a Hero select system where no unit has been picked yet. How would I set it up to add the systems after a hero has been picked?

2 - If I wanted to make a long bridge out of Elevator But let units still walk under the bridge of Elvaders how would I do this?

3 - Custom Ability systems like buy ability’s or like Aceharts Hero select system with the pick your own abilities. How would one make the Computer players auto pick the abilities?

4 - Hero Arenas - any way to set the computer players AI to Hard or insane ? ex: be smarter, tuffer, cast custom spells.

5 - Hero Defense maps. What is the best way to balance the incoming waves?

6 - same as above but for tower waves.

7 - I’m not a coder of any kind and I get confused between Picked unit, triggering unit, unit group. I never know which to use. Could someone give examples please?

Added Questions

8 - Does the amount of doodads on the map cause lag or just slow load time?

9 -does this have any leaks? unit enters region ( doors open ) and unit leaves region ( doors close). does things like this leak? ex: doors, elevadors.

Added comment: when replying to questions try to post a simple code so i can grasp the concept. thanks
Well that’s about it for now.

A big Thanks to anyone who replies and can help, but remember .. I’m Not good at coding and am still trying to learn, so make you replies as if you was talking to a 6 year old. :p =-)

To the ones who reply: Thanks really.. its very nice, helpful and Appreciated.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
Hi, even though I just joined the forum I have been hanging around for a while and a big fan of some of you script creators. A lot of good stuff here and some good script creators. So here is a few questions I have…

1 - A lot of systems require you to lock the system to a unit, ex: some arrow key systems, 3rd person view, and other systems. But what if I want to use a Hero select system where no unit has been picked yet. How would I set it up to add the systems after a hero has been picked?

2 - If I wanted to make a long bridge out of Elevator But let units still walk under the bridge of Elvaders how would I do this?

3 - Custom Ability systems like buy ability’s or like Aceharts Hero select system with the pick your own abilities. How would one make the Computer players auto pick the abilities?

4 - Hero Arenas - any way to set the computer players AI to Hard or insane ? ex: be smarter, tuffer, cast custom spells.

7 - I’m not a coder of any kind and I get confused between Picked unit, triggering unit, unit group. I never know which to use. Could someone give examples please?

A big Thanks to anyone who replies and can help, but remember .. I’m Not good at coding and am still trying to learn, so make you replies as if you was talking to a 6 year old. :p =-)

1. In the moment you generate or transfer the hero you can still activate the system. Most systems are configured to be enabled ingame or to even swap the units even if the "system was locked" to another unit.

2. This isn't really easy! But I lately saw a system allowing something like this. I just dont have the link, so unfortunately you must wait for somebody who knows the site where I saw it.

3. Hm I think you could somehow force the system to add the abilities to the computer player or you add them yourself. Actually I think if you look at the system code you could see which functions you can use to do this.

4. No, you must code them yourself.

5. Testing, testing and testing, I think.

6. Same.

A Unit Dies:
Dying Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)
Killing Unit

A Unit Gets An Order ..:
Ordered Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)

A Unit Takes Damage ..:
Damaged Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)
Damage Source

A Unit Starts The Effect Of An Ability:
Casting Unit ( = Triggering Unit)
SpellTarget
SpellTargetLoc

It is always the best to use Triggering Unit.
( Triggering Unit is also local to your action Trigger. This means you can still use it after waits)

The Returnfunction Names DO have a logical sense.

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
seems like you aren't helped too much

1 - make a system that detects when a player chooses a hero and then place the camera
2 - i think you can do that if you place the bridge high enough
3 - that would be quite a lot to code(many heroes and skills so basically many possibilities(ill try to make you one if you want the computers to choose skills randomly based on their hero's class)
4 - ill skip this one because never made an AI system
5 - use unit balancer, it tell you in how much time a unit kill the other one
6 - SAA
7 - use picked unit whenever you use the
Trigger:
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Action
action, triggering unit to refer to units that trigger an event
Trigger:
  • Unit - A Unit Dies

LiVam

Reaction score
1. In the moment you generate or transfer the hero you can still activate the system. Most systems are configured to be enabled ingame or to even swap the units even if the "system was locked" to another unit.

2. This isn't really easy! But I lately saw a system allowing something like this. I just dont have the link, so unfortunately you must wait for somebody who knows the site where I saw it.

3. Hm I think you could somehow force the system to add the abilities to the computer player or you add them yourself. Actually I think if you look at the system code you could see which functions you can use to do this.

4. No, you must code them yourself.

5. Testing, testing and testing, I think.

6. Same.

A Unit Dies:
Dying Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)
Killing Unit

A Unit Gets An Order ..:
Ordered Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)

A Unit Takes Damage ..:
Damaged Unit ( = TriggeringUnit)
Damage Source

A Unit Starts The Effect Of An Ability:
Casting Unit ( = Triggering Unit)
SpellTarget
SpellTargetLoc

It is always the best to use Triggering Unit.
( Triggering Unit is also local to your action Trigger. This means you can still use it after waits)

The Returnfunction Names DO have a logical sense.

This is a comment to your answer on question 7.

I wouldn't recommend ALWAYS using "Triggering unit". The Triggering unit is the unit that caused the event. For example, if your event is "A unit dies", the triggering unit is the dying unit. But there are cases where you don't want to order the dying unit to do something, but perhaps the attacker?
Suddenly "attacking unit" has a use.

And oh, not sure about the scenario, my GUI skills are a bit rusty. But I hope you get my point at least :)

Bloodydood

Reaction score
This is a comment to your answer on question 7.

I wouldn't recommend ALWAYS using "Triggering unit". The Triggering unit is the unit that caused the event. For example, if your event is "A unit dies", the triggering unit is the dying unit. But there are cases where you don't want to order the dying unit to do something, but perhaps the attacker?
Suddenly "attacking unit" has a use.

And oh, not sure about the scenario, my GUI skills are a bit rusty. But I hope you get my point at least :)

Killing Unit, not Attacking Unit. That is used for Event: A Unit is Attacked.

Warchild-NC

Reaction score
Thanks for the Replys :thup:

3 - that would be quite a lot to code(many heroes and skills so basically many possibilities(ill try to make you one if you want the computers to choose skills randomly based on their hero's class)

That would be great, But you dont have to yet. Im still looking around for a Hero Arena AI. if i dont find anything useable then ill ask you to work on one when you get time.

I know Ive seen one somewhere, but the problem is my brain is like a small harddrive. It has to delete stuff to add more stuff :banghead: and over the last month or two ive read every tutorial on the 4 biggest WC3 sites ive found atleast 2 or more times and the info is just all running together. :nuts:

Thanks for offering though. I really appreciate it.

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score

Added Questions

8 - Does the amount of doodads on the map cause lag or just slow load time?

9 -does this have any leaks? unit enters region ( doors open ) and unit leaves region ( doors close). does things like this leak? ex: doors, elevadors.

Added comment: when replying to questions try to post a simple code so i can grasp the concept. thanks

To the ones who reply: Thanks really.. its very nice, helpful and Appreciated.

1. You would have to set the trigger up so that it does not follow "units" but "Unit Variables." For example, when a player picks a hero, set that hero to the variable "FollowMe." In your trigger instead of following a unit, you would instead follow "FollowMe."

2. You can't, but what you can do, is make a region on the sides of the elevator bridge, and when a unit enters the region, you can instantly move them to the region on the other side.

3. That requires a great deal of triggering. You would have to set up ability arrays and use the "Unit - Add <ability> to <unit>" action.

4. You can do it, it's very hard and requires a lot of triggering, this I do not know how to do.

5. Like what was said before: testing, testing, and more testing.

6. See number 5

7. Triggering Unit is what it sounds like. It refers to any unit that "triggered" the event. So in the "Unit enters region" event, the unit that entered the region is the Triggering Unit. Even though the "Entering Unit" option exists, it is better to use triggering unit, as it is local to your trigger and can be refered to after wait actions (this was mentioned above).

Picked unit is used when you use the action "Pick Every unit..." Upon using that action a loop is created, only use picked unit inside the loop, as it will not work outside the loop.

A unit group is exactly what it sounds like, a group of units. The idea behind this is that you can pick a group of units in a region and refer to them as one unit within the loop. So in a unit group loop every action you use will refer to every unit you have picked, without the need to create the action multiple times. This is when you would use "Picked Unit" it acts as a single unit, even though it refers to all units in the unit group.

8. The amount of doodads will definitely increase loading time and you would need obscene amounts of doodads to create lag, but it is possible.

9. It does not leak as long as those are pre-placed on the map, but if you create a region in the trigger, you must store it to a variable and then remove it using the "call RemoveRect()" function, which is only accessible by using custom script.

If you're new to mapping I strongly suggest you learn how to use variables. They are the single most important aspect of map making in my opinion and I think everyone will agree that you CANNOT make a map without them.

Hope I could help, welcome to the forums and happy mapping.

Warchild-NC

Reaction score
Awesome post PrisonLove. it was clear and simple and i did learn from it...Thanks

2. You can't, but what you can do, is make a region on the sides of the elevator bridge, and when a unit enters the region, you can instantly move them to the region on the other side.

I should have though of this, but it never entered my mind.

Warchild-NC

Reaction score
Im trying to add more hero's to emjlr3 Duel Engine 1.10http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112125

The map is going to have a 6 player max, but 12 Heros to pick from, and on saving the map i get an unexpected error on hero select lines 10, 11, and 12. Ive looked and looked and cannt seem to see why. ive added the hero's data code and Btn (files) in the other triggers, ive changed the number of hero's.

Any help would be great.

Edit add: BTW im useing, and trying to learn from all the triggers in the map.

Code:
function HeroSelection_Go takes nothing returns nothing    
    set HeroSelection___D = DialogCreate()
    set HeroSelection___B[1] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[1]+" (1)",'1')
    set HeroSelection___B[2] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[2]+" (2)",'2')
    set HeroSelection___B[3] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[3]+" (3)",'3')
    set HeroSelection___B[4] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[4]+" (4)",'4')
    set HeroSelection___B[5] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[5]+" (5)",'5')
    set HeroSelection___B[6] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[6]+" (6)",'6')
    set HeroSelection___B[7] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[7]+" (7)",'7')
    set HeroSelection___B[8] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[8]+" (8)",'8')
    set HeroSelection___B[9] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[9]+" (9)",'9')
    set HeroSelection___B[10] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[10]+" (10)",'10')
    set HeroSelection___B[11] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[11]+" (11)",'11')
    set HeroSelection___B[12] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,HeroSelection___Names[12]+" (12)",'12')
    set HeroSelection___B[13] = DialogAddButton(HeroSelection___D,"Random (13)",'13')
    call DialogSetMessage(HeroSelection___D,"Choose Your Hero")

Oh one more question: Does the map. triggers, and other data save even though you get an code error? ( i know the map want play with the error in it, but does everthing still save?

Thanks for replys

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
everything saves and everything will play if you have a code error. The only thing that will happen is the trigger that has the code error will be disabled

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.