A few questions

Solidjackal

Reaction score
Okay so I am new here and have quite a few questions,
-How do I add experience to an item so when a character picks it up they gain exp?
Then when they reach a certain level it unlocks a new set of abilities
-How do I control the spawn rate of items on the field?

I am new the whole map editor in general, so if you are able to simplify the explanation down to my level it is helpfully :)

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Im not entirely sure what you want. But let me babble for a moment and see if you can use it for anything.

I am assuming you know very little of the editor (sorry if you have the basic knowledge).
And I am assuming you want to "destroy" the item which gives experience.

Go to the Object Editor. Under items find "Power Ups" and then find Tome of Experience.
You will notice that is has "Item Experience Gain" as its abilities.
You will notice as well that "Stats - Actively Used" = True, and "Stats - Use Automatically When Acquired" = True.

Create a new item by right clicking on the item name.

Now you go to the "Abilities" tab in the Object Editor and find under "Special" -> "Items" -> "Item Experience Gain".

Create a new one.

In the field where it says "Data - Experience Gained: 100" change the 100 with whatever value you want.

Go back to the item you created before. Delete the default ability it has, and replace it with your newly created one.

Voila. (I bloody hope this is what you were asking for :p)

I'll let someone else answer the second question since I'm terrible at spawning triggers.

Solidjackal

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find the "Data-Experience Gained". I do not want to destroy the item when it is picked because it will be used to upgrade other objects in the game. Also what about the level gain stuff?

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
-How do I add experience to an item so when a character picks it up they gain exp? ...
I do not want to destroy the item when it is picked because it will be used to upgrade other objects in the game. Also what about the level gain stuff?
umm, this might not be a very good idea, if the item gives experience every time you pick it up, and it doesn't get destroyed, this becomes extremely abuseable, people will repeatedly drop it and pick it up.
You would be better off having separate items, one that gives exp once as a tome like solu9 said, and a different one to keep and use later.
Data-Experience Gained is part of the "item experience gain" ability and what you change to change exp given.
A simple way to add abilities when a unit levels is given in this example:
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Gains a level
    • Conditions
      • (Hero level of (Triggering unit)) Equal to 20
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Gem Fragment) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Battle Roar to (Triggering unit)

Without knowing exactly what you want to do I cannot give a better plan at this time.

How do I control the spawn rate of items on the field?
You can either choose % chance to drop on units in the world editor, but then it would only apply to preplaced units, not built or respawned ones. A better way is by using triggers. I included a couple ways to do it, either tying drop rates to unit level, or a separate if/then/else for each unit type, or some combination (units-based for weapons, level-based for gold coins).
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Neutral Hostile
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Random integer number between 1 and 50) Less than (Level of (Dying unit))
        • Then - Actions
          • Item - Create Tome of Experience at (Position of (Triggering unit))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Thunder Lizard
        • Then - Actions
          • Item - Create Tome of Experience at (Position of (Triggering unit))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Murloc Tiderunner
          • (Random integer number between 1 and 3) Less than 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Item - Create Crown of Kings +5 at (Position of (Triggering unit))
        • Else - Actions

Solidjackal

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help. I finally found the experience gain, I was looking for it under the items because I did not read what you posted properly. I have another question (I think it might be the last one for now) if I want to create a custom unit, how do I add an exp bar to that unit?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Copy a default hero. Change all of that copied hero's fields to those of the Goblin Blaster.

-OverpoweR-

Reaction score
yep, like KaerfNomekop said, just find the Object Data Model field and find your Goblin Blaster model there, it will replace the current hero making him a Goblin Blaster with an Exp bar :thup:

Solidjackal

Reaction score
OMG! Thank you, I finally got what I want working!
Also If I have more question, do I post it in here or make a new thread?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It's best to post a new thread, as multi-question threads are hard to follow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.