Anchorfree/Hotspot shield banner at top of every page i load in browsers

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Hi there... long time no see

I keep getting a ad/banner at the top of every page i load with a browser, It's related to "anchor free" or "hotspot shield" software, I have run all my antispyware/virus/malware programs and it stil appears

also sometimes i get a popup to an anchor free page (also about software)

I haven't even installed anything to do with anchor free or hotspot so don't know where it's comming from or where its situated.

any ideas on what to do?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Have you scanned with Malwarebytes? If not then do so. :thup:

ProTech

Reaction score
Same Issue

Running Vista Home Premium, the Hotspot by Anchor Free banner appears on every browser that I've tried. I have been unable to find any references to it in the registry, or even a folder associated with Anchor Free or Hotspot anywhere in the computer. I looked through browser add-ins for Internet Explorer and could not find any reference to it there either.

Any help in tracking down the source of this banner would be greatly appreciated.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I'd see if Spybot Search & Destroy picks up anything.

ProTech

Reaction score
SOLVED with a catch...

Running Vista Home Premium, the Hotspot by Anchor Free banner appears on every browser that I've tried. I have been unable to find any references to it in the registry, or even a folder associated with Anchor Free or Hotspot anywhere in the computer. I looked through browser add-ins for Internet Explorer and could not find any reference to it there either.

Any help in tracking down the source of this banner would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update on this: I ran HiJack This on the machine and removed 23 items. HiJack this, most of which were "file missing" situations, but there was one BHO that I actually removed. :D However, HiJack This errored out when writing the log file, so I can't tell you exactly what BHO it was. :banghead: That means that I'm not absolutely positive that it was the BHO that did it.

What I am sure of is that the stupid banner is gone from all browsers now. just a disclaimer, don't use HiJack This if you don't know what you're doing, you can seriously screw up your computer.

If you want to try it you can find it at http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.