Beginner Question - Triggerable custom wall

BlueMomo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Only just registered here, so first off: Hi! I'm BlueMomo :)

I'm working on a short chase scene in a singleplayer map where the player has to chase after a necromancer.

As part of a scripted event I want to make a magical wall (as if it were a spell he cast) appear between the necromancer and the player, skeletons are spawned on the players side and the wall won't disappear until the skellies are dead. Giving the necro time to get a head start.

So far I've been able to get it functional by using the destructible 'Force Wall' but in a forest setting that really just looks crappy.

So my thought was (I know what I think I want, just not how to do it :p ) to use a combination of pathing blockers which appear and disappear on a trigger event and a special effect which loops as long as the wall is in place.

If this can be done without using Jass I'd be very happy (Since thats still a very big mystery to me)

--I hope this isn't a question which has been answered 15 times in this forum already, I tried to search for something and anything related, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.--

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I've attached a picture of the way it looks now, it's functional but it kinda makes my skin crawl :p

Attachments

• ForceWall.jpg
    ForceWall.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 252

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
It actually looks quite interesting.
You could change the model of ForceWall to that of an effect of your choice.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
If this wall spawns in a set location you could just place dead pathing blockers in the world editor, put a region around the pathing blockers and then create a type of unit that is invulnerable, looks like a special effect and has no collision size or movement.

n then you could trigger it like this -

Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        event of some kind
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 000 <gen> and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Pathing Blocker (Both)
                    Then - Actions
                        Destructible - Resurrect (Picked destructible) with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Hide birth animation
                        Unit - Create 1 wall effect unit for Player ? at (Position of (Picked destructible)) facing Default building facing degrees
                        Unit Group - Add (Last created unit) to necrowall
                    Else - Actions
and then for removal -

Code:
Untitled Trigger 002
    Events
       finishing event goes here
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 000 <gen> and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Pathing Blocker (Both)
                    Then - Actions
                        Destructible - Kill (Picked destructible)
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in necrowall and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
                    Else - Actions

So basically you are just making the pathing blockers turn on, and then a unit is spawning on them to give the effect of a wall (which is also being added to a unit group so it can be removed easy), and then when the scene is over u kill them all off so the player can continue

BlueMomo

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys! Especially or your extensive explanation Murdermode, I'll be sure to try that.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
no problem.... just so you know, in the trigger editor window, (in the trigger function box where you do all the editing to the trigger) you can right click on the 'white page' symbol at the top of the tree (where u see the triggers name) and select to 'copy as text'.

This will be handy for you in the future, as you can copy your trigger as text, paste it in your post, select the pasted trigger and then click the 'code' button (looks like the # symbol) to post your trigger as I did in my example. This makes it easy for people to help out with any triggering mistakes and problems you may have

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.