Building a Desktop Computer

oorosco

Reaction score
I have 1,300 dollars give or take to build a p.c. I want to make a p.c. which surpasses my Asus G71gx laptop. To my understanding you can make powerhouse p.c.'s for cheap. Can someone link a website/video-series which is comprehensive about building a desktop? Also, can people make recommendations for the specs i would need?

Graphics:
Sound:
CPU:
Mother Board:
RaM:
HDD: (How much of a difference does it make)

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
we have a sticky thread for that:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150749

The next item up for bid is a build for people wanting to hit somewhere in the $1000 range. You may not be expecting much difference between this and the last one, but you may be surprised. Take a look:
Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 Dual-Core CPU
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Computer Case
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V PSU
SAPPHIRE 100297SR Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 Video Card
LG DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Grand Total: $1,023.87

And now we move on to the next tier in the computer building. Hang on for this sub-$1500 build, because it really ups the stakes. Here we go:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 Quad-Core CPU
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 Video Card
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V PSU
LG DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Grand Total: $1,495.86

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
For $1300, I would probably take that $1500 build I have in that thread and drop the 300GB Velociraptor. That should get it more within your price range. :)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
starting from the 1500 build, drop the velociraptor, get a 80gb intel G2 SSD, switch the black for a green since you won't need performance, get a 5850 for the graphics, and maybe switch the case for a cheaper one

oorosco

Reaction score
What would i be losing from dropping the 300 gb HDD? I see that the RPM are high, but how much does that affect the performance of programs that are running?

Also, is the quad core better even though it has less GHz thant he dual core? Thanks, i dont' fully understand the way the cores work, it seems as though cores are related to multi-tasking but that's the extent of my knowledge

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> get a 80gb intel G2 SSD, switch the black for a green since you won't need performance
:confused:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
> get a 80gb intel G2 SSD, switch the black for a green since you won't need performance
:confused:

if you have a ssd as your primary drive, there isn't much point in having a black (high-cost + high-performance) drive as your 2nd drive

What would i be losing from dropping the 300 gb HDD? I see that the RPM are high, but how much does that affect the performance of programs that are running?

the 300gb hard drive is faster, but nowhere near as fast as an SSD - generally you want 1 fast drive to make load times and start-up times small and then a 2nd or however many more "data" drives to hold stuff that doesn't need high-performance, stuff like pictures, movies, music, documents, pretty much everything except for programs and the OS

Also, is the quad core better even though it has less GHz than the dual core? Thanks, i dont' fully understand the way the cores work, it seems as though cores are related to multi-tasking but that's the extent of my knowledge

the quad-core can automatically turn itself into a dual-core and increase it's speed if it would be beneficial

what dual-core are you comparing it to?

oorosco

Reaction score

also, what do you mean by replace the black with a green?!? Thanks.

Also, how simple is it do make all this come together? Do i just put in the components, install the OS and then im guessing update the drives and what not?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

also, what do you mean by replace the black with a green?!? Thanks.

Also, how simple is it do make all this come together? Do i just put in the components, install the OS and then im guessing update the drives and what not?

well in the 1500 build he has a "WD Caviar Black 1TB", and im suggesting replacing it with the cheaper "WD Caviar Green 1TB"

the case and motherboard generally have a manual telling you how to install stuff, but you pretty much just put the pieces together and then plug everything in

for the CPU comparison, this is probably the best I can do without a lengthy explanation, the i5 750 is 2 tiers above the i3 530 and is also the best value for the 200 price point

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's an article worth looking at. The website's based in England, though it includes prices in dollars, as well as US alternatives to products not available there.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
I wondered, why WD drives are so popular even it is not worth for bucks?
Samsung SpinPoint F3 pwns them all.

Try :
Core i5 750 $195
MSI P55-GD65 $160 (Supports crossfire)
Kingston Value 2x2GB DDR3 RAM $96
Intel X25-V 40GB SSD $115
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HDD $75 (Fastest harddisk at current, cool, silent and consumes even lower power compared to WD Green)
Sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5 $400
Silverstone OP650 650W Power Supply $80 (Sufficient to support 2x HD5870)
Thermaltake V3 Casing $45
LiteOn DVDRW Drive $24 (More durable than LG drives)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit $100

Total : $1290

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
I'd replace the Intel X25-V with a Corsair Nova 64 or 128. Much faster speeds at most tests.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I wondered, why WD drives are so popular even it is not worth for bucks?
The warranty, most likely. I'd also think that WD is a more respected firm for hard drives than Samsung, so people will be willing to pay a little bit extra for them. Regardless, I'd go for the Samsung too. :p

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
WD Caviar Black drives are enterprise class hardware. You get what you pay for. Most F3s fail after a couple months if you use them as primary harddrive since the OS makes so many read/writes which will wear it down fast. They're fine for data only though.

>that's 6 months old, prices have shifted since

It has been updated quite a few times.

Crusher

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'd buy one of the Alienware PC's, but they waste so much electric power.

:)

EDIT: My fault, Alienware PC's are much more expensive than 1300$.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
WD Caviar Black drives are enterprise class hardware. You get what you pay for. Most F3s fail after a couple months if you use them as primary harddrive since the OS makes so many read/writes which will wear it down fast. They're fine for data only though.
O.O In my country, I saw many people reported the failure of their WD drives, 1 week about 2-3 cases.
For Samsung, I only saw 1 case, till now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.