Can a Blueray Player Improve My TV's Resolution?

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
My mom asked me to look at Blueray players and pick out the best one, but I don't know much about them and she said somthing about making sure I picked one that improved our TV's resolution.

So are there Blueray players that make a TV's resolution go form 720 to 1080? and im sure if it does improve it its only when watching blueray movies right?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
a tv's resolution is dependent on the display of the TV. nothing external can change it's maximum/native resolution.

now, what most content that is sent over cable/etc, that is usually lower then the TV's native resolution, and the TV enlarges it to fit the display - a tv playing from a blu-ray player does not need to do that.. and whenever there is less scaling, then the picture looks better.

far as picture quality all blu-ray players are pretty much the same

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Also, bear in mind that a lot of Blu-Ray players will perform upconversion. Upconversion is a picture enhancement process that takes the original DVD video (encoded at 480p) and scales it to 720p or 1080p. If your TV supports 720p or 1080p, you might see improved picture quality when watching a DVD using a Blu-Ray player that supports upconversion versus watching the same DVD on a standard DVD player.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
the up-conversion only happens on regular DVDs and to get the maximum clarity/resolution, you need to get HDMI cables, not the white, yellow, red cable...

there are so many blu-ray players out there, you really need to decide on what you need the blu-ray for..

ps3: blu-ray + games
bd-p3600: blu-ray + surround sound (i got this one, it also connects to internet, and if you have net-flix, blockbuster, youtube account you can watch the videos directly on tv thru this function)
bd-p4600: blu-ray + style
etc...

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I heard the PS3 blu-ray player is actually better than the commercial stand-alones available. It's about the same price as well, so you get games, media centre + blu-ray all in one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.