Chance to do something

CBBPhoenix

Reaction score
Hi guys in my map I want a hero with 2 passive skills, one that gives a chance to banish opponents on attack and another which gives a chance to release a forked lightning to the target. The problem is that I know you can just attack-stop quickly to make the trigger fire(I use dummy units and not JASS at all), although the hero did not in fact attack the enemy. I have heard that you can use the Orb of Slow ability for checking whether the enemy is hit, (this will also cause the second effect to not work if the enemy is evading an attack) but I have not checking if it can be used as a hero ability yet.

Anyone knows some nice tips that they would like to share?
Thanks in advance

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
You could put a cooldown on the abilities, so it can only trigger every x seconds. Can easily be done with a boolean and a wait.
Or, you could use the event ''Any unit take damage'' (Is in EGUI, can be triggered too).

Tell me if you like any of the ideas and i'll give more details.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use an integer, and set it to a random number inbetween 1 and 2. (For 50% Chance)

Then, add in an integer comparrison, so that the integer used above must be equal to or greater than 2. That should be the If.

So, if it is 2, it will happen. Random.

LightChaosma

Reaction score
he isnt asking how to produce a % chance to do something... he wants to know how to make his hero autocast abilities, only a % of the attacks he does...

so... myquestion, does it have to be MUI or MPI?

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
Use an integer, and set it to a random number inbetween 1 and 2. (For 50% Chance)

Then, add in an integer comparrison, so that the integer used above must be equal to or greater than 2. That should be the If.

So, if it is 2, it will happen. Random.
He asked how he could prevent players from abusing his trigger(s) by using 'Stop', not how create a ''chance to...'' trigger. :rolleyes:

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
base the abilities off of war stomp and make a trigger that fires when a hero starts the effect of those abilities

avalya

Reaction score
You can use damage/buff detection by using Envenomed Spears and then trigger the spells or simply use orb of lightning (new), that gives a chance to cast the specified ability you have entered there (can modify chance, cooldown, ability and all that).

CBBPhoenix

Reaction score
Have tested

To LightChaosma: Erm I don't know the difference, could you explain? :p

To jackall: Wouldn't Warstomp only affect the action part of the trigger? not the problem "a unit is attacked" (which is the event i use: the one that causes possibility of abuse for triggering secondary effect of the attack)

To Galdiuz: The cooldown would still enable the player to abuse, just not as often. Would fix for balance but still not excactly what I want :(. It should only be on attacks that hit the target just like an orb effect, just chance triggered. -A unit takes damage would be just fine if it was not only on normal attacks it should fire :-/

To avalya: I have tested the ability for banish and it really seems to work well! It even adds the icon as a passive ability using the DISBTN icon for Banish by itself. (like Nerubain Weaver's Geminate Attack from DotA). You can also add your custom abilities to the orb effect, which is very important unless the standard abilites are fit for the chance ability. (which, in my case they are not). It is not abusable and the chance can be defined for both heroes, units, and summons. If this works for all abilities it is indeed a very powerful tool in the WE as it allows you to create a vast amount of custom passives, without even using triggers! I am going to see if this works without any side problems (which I think it will) and then I am definitely going to approve. :p

EDIT: I have tested it now and I had to make 5 different unit abilites to add to each level of the carrying orb ability. I have made an Attribute Bonus based ability for the Hero to learn where i changed Hide Icon to True and Int/Agi/Str to zero. When this ability is learned, the Hero will get the orb ability with the Banish effect by triggers. Bonus is that the Hero can have a special effect when the ability is learned because of the orb attachment :D. Just one last question: Will this Orb of Lightning (New) override other passives made from the same ability of the effect is another ( e.g. my Forked Lightning passive which my Hero should have too).

LightChaosma

Reaction score
MUI means that multiple units, regardles of type or owner, have these abilities. so can more than 1 unit have these skills? if yes then its eithe MUI or MPI.

if you answered the above question with yes, i ask the following question: is it possible for 2 of these units to be possesed by the same player?

yes - MUI (multi unit instance)
no - MPI (multi player instance)

if you answered the first with no, its not MUI or MPI :D (wich is the easiest to make ;))

CBBPhoenix

Reaction score
Okay

There is only one of this unit and its the only one with excactly that skill. Player controls one hero and there can only be one of each hero type in the game (like dota).

Ya you're right. Only one orb effect no matter what. I forgot. might change the forked lightning then :p

avalya

Reaction score
Well, just to add, if you want to have the icon show as a passive and not a disabled icon, simply import a custom icon that has its DISBTN file as a passive icon (the icon is passive but named DISBTN) so that will show instead, it's pretty neat, and yeah it's the same as Weaver uses in DotA (Searing Arrows instead with 0 bonus damage).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.