World Chinese Gymnast Age Limit Scandal

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
To be eligible for World or Olympic competition, gymnasts must turn 16 by the end of the 2008 calendar year.

Accusations of age falsification have swirled around the Chinese team and have intensified after news outlets found official documents stating alternate (and younger) birth dates for three athletes: He Kexin, Yang Yilin and Jiang Yuyuan. All three of them are old enough according to their passports. The Chinese have been mum on the subject, as expected.

Last edited:

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
chinese age is different from others

because when you are born, you are already 1 year old..

so +1

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Except for one was 13 and the other was 14... and any dumb redneck could tell that these girls are under 16 years of age. Look at them for goodness sake! I don't understand why you would risk such embarrassment for a gold meddle. Truthfully they should just raise the age to 18 years old. The pressures that families put on their children is rediculous...especially Chinese families. wow.

Grymlax

Probably not around
Reaction score
Why is there a restriction in the first place? I mean there isn't a restriction in for example diving where 14 year old Tom Daley is competing.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I think they do it because of training. They have a higher risk of training at the age of 12 or 13, then 15 and 16. Even though they do it willingly knowing they can get hurt.

Reaction score
Well, I don't think my expectations of China could have fallen any further after the faked singing in the opening ceremony.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Why is there a restriction in the first place? I mean there isn't a restriction in for example diving where 14 year old Tom Daley is competing.

Imagine the stress on your body. Now, imagine that stress on the bodies of children who are still growing. That's usually not a good.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Well, I've seen a lot of news reports about really small children going to sport schools instead of kindergarden and there doing really hard training. That's way tougher then that imo. But well, these were all german so I can't post 'em.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I knew those kids couldn't be sixteen. I knew it the second I saw them on TV. *tsk tsk*

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Eh, it's all the same. None of them are really "kids" in the strictest sense of the term, anymore.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>because when you are born, you are already 1 year old..

Wtf? :confused:

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Some countries count the time you were still in your mother's womb. So instead of counting when you're born, it's more like they are counting when you were developing. I'm still not completely sure of it but that's what I was told because Korea used to/still do that. But then it would really be just +9 months than a year.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Unless you count the time you are a sperm/egg...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.