Chomp 1.4 T.E. crashes on my N501

S

STcomp

I really like the Nuon Games and Demos CD, but what is probably the best game on the CD seems to crash on my N501. I have tried it in Arcade mode and Tounament, and it seems to either freeze up immediately, or if I am lucky I can play one level, but then it almost always freezes up right at the beginning of the next. No other NUON game whatsoever crashes on my system. Could this be a firmware problem, or a flaky CD? Just wondering. The game seems to be awfully popular which I doubt it would be if it were really this bugged.

S

STcomp

Actually, I just checked my firmware ant it is already version 000-53, since Nuon Dome says anything over 50 is good I don't think it is my firmware, unless I have a funky version that is *too* new or something.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
That's really odd. I can't imagine why it would cause problems for you and not others. And it will be really hard to debug. Does it always happen at a specific point in the level?

S

STcomp

actually yes it does seem to happen right at the beginning of the next level, after completing level one, I never have played level 2 yet. other crashes include always crashing at the very beginning of tournament mode (i.e. I have never even played it) and the rest are simply random crashes in the middle of level 1 that are usually followed by a light green/dark green striped screen that looks like a curtain, the crashes are so hard sometimes that it even seems harder than normal to turn the power switch off after them. I think the old Chomp runs better, I'll have to check it out more later. im actually going to try one more thing, I'm going to try burning Chomp 1.4 on to a CD by itself and see if that has a different result at all

S

STcomp

I think I figured out the problem. The disk is probably defective. There is a pretty deep tiny little strange looking scratch right in the middle of the narrow data strip (of course, of all the other places it could have been). I have carefully handled that CD, I have only even taken it out of the case 3 times and never laid it out anywhere, always replacing it when I am done. Chomp TE didn't work when I tried the G+D CD right out of the shrinkwrap, and I just burned a copy on to a CD from the internet and it worked fine. So I will probably be seeing if I can exchange my CD for a scratch free one.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Makes me want to hunt down a N501 even more. Does Chomp and some of the other homebrews move at a good speed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.