Coding Help, [Economy Sim]

chanta45

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm working on a map right now and I just need some suggestions on how to handle something.

The premise of my system is that you have a city hub, and you can build roads out from it. You construct residential areas (Housing plots) (that must be touching a road in order to grow) then state whether you want high residential or low residential. (High/Low effects morale, I think I can handle that one)

I don't know how (from a coding standpoint) to keep track of each house, as each one would have several factors, and with the players being able to construct new houses etc. i'm not sure where to start.

I mean the way it works is that energy represents the current population in the house, and after you reach max energy you go to the next stage of housing (It upgrades, new look and larger popcap) but buildings around will effect the variables. Things such as Industrial Complex's (people need jobs) will provide basic population growth, while entertainment areas will provide even more energy regeneration (population growth) while allowing for even larger housing upgrades.

If this can be done in GUI that would be awesome, not too familiar with custom script unless someone would like to work with me!

Will give credit, for what it's worth :rolleyes:

chanta45

Reaction score
No suggestions? I guess I can do something with the custom value of the unit, and just do alot of conditions checking if X building is nearby

bobby5589

Reaction score
Just a quick idea, but perhaps when a building is built/upgraded you could get all surrounding buildings and update they're information appropriately. If you find a factory or entertainment area you'd update the information for the building built/upgraded.

Dangime

Reaction score
Well, I know since I made zerg buildings work off of creep then they started getting negative HP regen, its possible to have the terrain effect your units stats. Dunno if regular terrain or roads will work, but why not? You might want to look at the behavior fields of some zerg buildings to see if you can duplicate this and switch it over to energy regen.

Also it would be pretty easy to periodic search for units matching a condition on the whole map, the condition being a function CURRENT ENERGY == MAX ENERGY then run your upgrade trigger.

bobby5589

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that terrain idea. It may work, but would take some looking into.

Along side what Dangime said for the energy to upgrade, to could have the "check surrounding builds" fire when a unit/building finishes building.

I also noticed there's and event that fires every time a units property changes, that might work inplace of a periodic check.

chanta45

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys! Will keep you updated. I like the periodic that checks when a value is changed, that'll help my road system :rolleyes:

chanta45

Reaction score
Alrighty! /bump I need some assistance

Basically I have a trigger that checks if there is a nearby road (that is connected to a center or city hub) and sets itself to 1. (Which means connected and active)

I can't get it too work, any suggestions?

Code:
Road Check
    Events
        Unit - Any Unit construction is Completed
    Local Variables
    Conditions
        And
            Conditions
                (Unit type of (Triggering unit)) == Road
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Any units in (Region((Point((X of (Position of (Triggering unit))), (Y of (Position of (Triggering unit))))), 5.0)) owned by player Any Player matching Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
            Actions
                General - If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
                    If
                        (Unit type of (Picked unit)) == Road
                        (Custom value 1 of (Picked unit)) == 1.0
                        Or
                            Conditions
                                (Unit type of (Picked unit)) == City Hub
                    Then
                        Unit - Set (Triggering progress unit) custom value 1 to 1.0
                        UI - Display "lol" for (All players) to Chat area
                    Else

bobby5589

Reaction score
Let me see if I'm reading this right.

When a "unit" is built and it's a road unit, than you make a unit group of all surrounding units and if they're a road with custom value 1 or a City Hub then you set the build road custom value to 1 and display "lol".

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but do something else with the unit group and see if they get selected (something like display their info) and also make sure the conditions for that if statement are setup correctly.

chanta45

Reaction score
Yup! You got what i'm trying to do right, and alright ill try those things.. Hope I can get it working.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.